Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Who's #1? Beasley vs. Rose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThornton
I bump him up because of his whole body of work. He is a franchise type point guard no question.
You my man are sitting at the steering wheel of the Derrick Rose bandwagon.

I'm more talking to people that have recently began bumping him up and not folks like you who have been talking about him all season. I've seen people say that those two games have been the ones to make him the unquestioned top guy and I think that's a bit dangerous a view to take.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Honestly, I don't see a problem with Rose being more of a combo guard than a point. We last year saw Tony Parker win Finals MVP averaging less assists than Tim Duncan. Obviously we don't prefer that type of point guard but times are definitely switching to a scorer from that position and less of a passer. In my opinion, with the right work ethic Rose can be a more athletic Chauncey Billups which would be incredible. I'd take him over Beasley.

The reason I don't like Beasley is that he's just been tremendously overpowering of his defenders. Wisconsin was able to limit his role with just strong bigs rather than athletic ones. His transition into the NBA will be a difficult one if he's being put at the powerforward position.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
AlThornton
Great young streetballer

AlThornton has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
You my man are sitting at the steering wheel of the Derrick Rose bandwagon.

I'm more talking to people that have recently began bumping him up and not folks like you who have been talking about him all season. I've seen people say that those two games have been the ones to make him the unquestioned top guy and I think that's a bit dangerous a view to take.

That is true, I just love Rose's game so much I cant explain it. Even when he was struggling making open jumpers and turning the ball over earlier in the season he still had that aura about him.

What do you think about his game now that his freshman seson is over? I remember you were skeptical on him earlier in the year.
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think Rose and Beasley are basically 1A and 1B just like Oden and Durant were last year. Oden being the ceneter, however, certainly made his an obvious choice. This year is going to be a little more difficult because guards and forwards are not as hard to find as centers.

I think it might come down to team need:
Miami could use either
Seattle needs a PG far more than another forward
Minnesota needs a forward more, but also needs a true PG
Memphis needs a forward more by far with like 4 young PG on the team
New York could go either way
Clippers need a guard more
Milwaukee needs a PG more

That makes it 3 to 2 for Rose with two up in the air.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #20
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThornton
That is true, I just love Rose's game so much I cant explain it. Even when he was struggling making open jumpers and turning the ball over earlier in the season he still had that aura about him.

What do you think about his game now that his freshman seson is over? I remember you were skeptical on him earlier in the year.
I'm still skeptical when people talk about his as a PG. If/when people just evaluate him as a slashing playmaking guard I have less doubts about him.

(Honestly my doubts about him as a PG are more reflections of my low opinion of player development at the NBA level.)

If you simply allow him to be a playmaking guard (a la Dwyane Wade) and teach him to effectively run a pick and roll he would be amazingly tough to cover on the offensive end.

Defensively his technique and understanding is not what you would want it to be but with the effort he puts in and his athletic gifts he likely will never be the weak link on defense.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
PFF
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PFF has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Beasley has looked like the solid pick for most of the season but these last 2 performances by Rose are mouth watering.

So what's more preferable? A potential 20/10 forward or a potential franchise PG? Sounds crazy but the GM with the #1 pick is going to be in a difficult spot.
You're right, here's what I think the teams should take if they get the top pick:

Heat - Rose (They already have Udonis Haslem at the PF position, and while they could use Beasely at the SF position, their biggest holes are at PG and C)

Sonics - Rose (Chris Wilcox is a good enough option at the PF spot for the foreseeable future - Eventually I think that the Sonics are gonna move Jeff Green to the PF position and Durant to the SF position. Therefore, they really have no need for Beasely. It's well documented that the Sonics need a PG - so it's kind of an obvious pick)

Grizzlies - ????? (This will be an extremely tough pick if the Grizzlies get the #1 pick - do they draft local favorite Derrick Rose into an already crowded frontcourt or do they take Beasely who makes more sense based on their current needs? Beasely at first glance makes the most sense, but nothing would sell tickets like Rose, especially for a team that ranks among the lowest in fan attendance and has could use the revenue that comes from tickets. Extremely tough decision)

Timberwolves - Rose (Talk about an obvious decision. In fact - I think if it were between Beasely and Brook Lopez they'd take Lopez)

Knicks - Rose (They could use either player, but I think they need bigger help at PG than PF where they have Lee)

Clippers - Rose (Pretty obvious - They have Brand and Kaman (who both appear to want to stick around for a while) so they don't need a PF and they have a player who's a less skilled version of Beasely in Al Thornton.

Bucks - Beasely (Maurice Williams is one of the underrated players in the league, and they really need a PF - Yi and Beasely could be a nice SF/PF duo)

Bobcats - Beasely (Say what you want about Felton, but he can suffice enough to fill their biggest need - an interior scorer, Okafor is a nice defensive player but is not a big enough offensive threat. Who knows though - It's MJ and he and Rose have the Chicago link)
PFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #22
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

Why are Minnesota and Miami so likely to take Rose? Because they have Haslem and Smith? Beasley could be a 20 and 10 player. Are you really going to pass him up because you have a 10 and 8 guy?
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #23
out|hoops|side
Banned

out|hoops|side has decent reputation

This all depends on who gets the first overall pick.
Let's go through all the teams in the Lottery who could potentially win the pick and see who needs what.
Golden State
They have B-Diddy, and he is a bonafide star, and at the other guard spot they have Ellis who is playing phenomenally this year. Al Harrington is good, but wouldn't you rather have Beasley?
They take Mike Beasley.
Portland
With Aldridge playing how he did this year and because of his age and potential they're pretty much set at the power forward spot, and the same can be said at SF where they have Outlaw. If they have a certified stud running the point, who knows what kind of damage they can do in the West, especially with Oden back.
They take Derrick Rose.
Sacramento
Having just gotten rid of Bibby, it would seem they are in need of a point guard, but not so fast; if you have to choose between Rose or Beasley and you need to fill point guard and power forward, I would think with Beasley's skill set he would be the better choice.
They take Mike Beasley.
Indiana
Jermaine O'Neal is no where near as effective as he used to be. Jamaal Tinsley is also on the downslide, and both are injury prone, playing a total of about 75 games this year, less than a full season between them both. They'll take the best talent available.
They take Mike Beasley.
New Jersey
They did ship off JKidd, but also they aren't exactly what one would call set at the forward spot either. The Nets are in need of a superstar who isn't a whiner and is young with loads of potential. Reminiscing about Kidd will get to them, and Beasley will remind them too much of Carter's lackadaisacal, inconsistent play at times.
They take Derrick Rose.
Chicago
Chicago had an abysmal year relative to what they were projected by EVERYONE to do. They are loaded with talented, yet to reach their potential forwards, what they NEED is a guy who is light years ahead of Kirk Hinrich in the point guard department.
They take Derrick Rose.
Charlotte
Being a team on the come-up, and one who just started, I believe they like what they see in Felton and trust in Okafor to play center. What they want is a guy who is an elite level player and can help put Charlotte on the map.
They take Mike Beasley.
Milwaukee
They have Mo Williams running the show. And he has proven this year that he can do it, albeit they still aren't winning. They need a superstar, not a star who is just going to fill up the stat sheet like Redd does. They can move Villanueva to SF or keep him at PF.
They take Mike Beasley.
LA Clippers
With Elton Brand back from injury and Corey Magette at the SF they are set at forward. Livingston still hasn't come back from that grisly knee injury, and at this point Derrick Rose seems like the far better PG prospect.
They take Derrick Rose.
New York
There is going to be a ton of activity in New York this offseason. Firstly, with Isiah Thomas getting the boot (hopefully) and many front office trades are going to be happening. When all is said and done, I can't decide who New York will take. While the Randolph/Curry experiment didn't work out, will they take Beasley to fix it? Or because Starbury isn't as good as his name suggests anymore will they take Rose?
Memphis
Memphis is in a serious rebuilding mode, after dumping Gasol and getting a pittance for it. I figure the way Gay is developing they want a point guard to get him the ball, and a point guard who is an absolute stud.
They take Derrick Rose.
Minnesota
Al Jefferson is manning the paint, but Beasley is more of a 3 anyways. They will certainly take the best available and go with him.
They take Mike Beasley.
Seattle
Seattle already got a studly SF player who is remotely like Beasley, what they need and have not got from Ridnour or Watson is a an extremely steady hand at the 1 and a guy who is going to be a star in this League for years to come.
They take Derrick Rose.
Miami
Well, Miami seems set at SF with Marion, but also Wade mans the back court, and while he isn't a pure point he can get the job done when the talent is there. I figure they need a more dominant frontcourt in Miami, and that is exactly what they'll get.
They take Mike Beasley.
out|hoops|side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #24
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

For the people that are saying Memphis is going to take Rose over Beasley, I don't understand why you think that. They already have 3 young point guards on their roster in Mike Conley, Javaris Crittenton and Kyle Lowry. Why would you want to add another point guard to that team especially considering their frontcourt is on the weakside? If Memphis had the first pick I am thinking that it will be pretty much a sure thing that Beasley will be the one getting his name called.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #25
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
For the people that are saying Memphis is going to take Rose over Beasley, I don't understand why you think that. They already have 3 young point guards on their roster in Mike Conley, Javaris Crittenton and Kyle Lowry. Why would you want to add another point guard to that team especially considering their frontcourt is on the weakside? If Memphis had the first pick I am thinking that it will be pretty much a sure thing that Beasley will be the one getting his name called.
While I do agree with you about Mike Beasley being the more logical selection many people believe that Derrick Rose would be more of a draw with fans. Grizzlies are in a situation where selling tickets is more important than winning right now.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian

Beasley does have more talent, but he doesn't seem to always give it 100%. As a team, do you want a guy like that? Or would you rather have a guy who is close to his level and who gives it his all? Then again, Gay was labeled as that kind of player at UConn and he's done okay with the Grizz. So maybe you're right, take Beasley.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #27
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Here is what nbadraft.net thinks:
http://nbadraft.net/draftbuzz073.asp

I disagree somewhat because it is going to come down to what a team needs.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
shaoyut
National High School Star

shaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected poster

i want seatle to take beasly
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #29
Qlippers
Decent playground baller

Qlippers has an OK reputation so far

Just like everyone is stating, it depends on the Team. If the Clippers choose number 1, we will take Rose. He is athletic, big, strong and a good passer. Rose is not the best shooter but he'll help run the team.

Beasley is hard to pass up a big man w/ great offensive ability and a rebounder. He can take his man inside or outside. But throughout the history of the draft, its hard for teams to pass up on a big man even if their need is a PG.

I would prefer Mayo, Bayless or Gordon. We need a guy who can shoot, Kaman and Brand are good inside w/o any threat of a 3 pt shot, The other team plays off of the so-called shooters.
Qlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #30
dashizznik
Can barely lace up my sneakers

dashizznik has an OK reputation so far

Is Beasley going to play the 3 or 4 in the NBA? Because IMHO, from the few games of him I've watched, Beasley is a bit slow at the 3 and heightwise a bit undersized at the 4. But he may be strong enough to play the 4 though.
dashizznik is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: