Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who's #1? Beasley vs. Rose.

As stupid as this sounds, don't count out Brook Lopez. I doubt he's the #1, but a guy with his size, power, and game face doesn't come around every day. Since Miami has Marion, they would probably go Rose over Beasley with their #1, but if they get another PG before then or even just decide to settle with one that they have, Lopez could be the center that could solidify a very solid rotation.

Again, don't hold your breath, but don't count him out either.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #32
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

If Miami somehow wins the lottery for the first time Derrick Rose is the choice. With him and Wade they are set at both guard positions. If they get Beasley they can always trade either Shawn Marion or Udonis Haslem but if they have to pick at three or four maybe deal the pick?
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #33
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanclone
you;re making Beasley sound like He doesnt have superstar potential....thats ludicrous and Beasley is the better prospect..

Beasley has the same skills as a Derrick Coleman times 2 , and Derrick Coleman half assing most of his career happened to be a 19 and 10 guy, Beasley has A Better Shot than Derrick Rose, He can dribble the ball like D-Rose, He has better athleticism , and hes been more consistent than D-Rose (26 and 12) and oh lets not forget he's 6'9 245

If he played defense i would agree.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #34
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Why are Minnesota and Miami so likely to take Rose? Because they have Haslem and Smith? Beasley could be a 20 and 10 player. Are you really going to pass him up because you have a 10 and 8 guy?

Who the hell is Smith?
we have Haslem, Marion, & Wright.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #35
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by out|hoops|side
This all depends on who gets the first overall pick.
Let's go through all the teams in the Lottery who could potentially win the pick and see who needs what.
Golden State
They have B-Diddy, and he is a bonafide star, and at the other guard spot they have Ellis who is playing phenomenally this year. Al Harrington is good, but wouldn't you rather have Beasley?
They take Mike Beasley.
Portland
With Aldridge playing how he did this year and because of his age and potential they're pretty much set at the power forward spot, and the same can be said at SF where they have Outlaw. If they have a certified stud running the point, who knows what kind of damage they can do in the West, especially with Oden back.
They take Derrick Rose.
Sacramento
Having just gotten rid of Bibby, it would seem they are in need of a point guard, but not so fast; if you have to choose between Rose or Beasley and you need to fill point guard and power forward, I would think with Beasley's skill set he would be the better choice.
They take Mike Beasley.
Indiana
Jermaine O'Neal is no where near as effective as he used to be. Jamaal Tinsley is also on the downslide, and both are injury prone, playing a total of about 75 games this year, less than a full season between them both. They'll take the best talent available.
They take Mike Beasley.
New Jersey
They did ship off JKidd, but also they aren't exactly what one would call set at the forward spot either. The Nets are in need of a superstar who isn't a whiner and is young with loads of potential. Reminiscing about Kidd will get to them, and Beasley will remind them too much of Carter's lackadaisacal, inconsistent play at times.
They take Derrick Rose.
Chicago
Chicago had an abysmal year relative to what they were projected by EVERYONE to do. They are loaded with talented, yet to reach their potential forwards, what they NEED is a guy who is light years ahead of Kirk Hinrich in the point guard department.
They take Derrick Rose.
Charlotte
Being a team on the come-up, and one who just started, I believe they like what they see in Felton and trust in Okafor to play center. What they want is a guy who is an elite level player and can help put Charlotte on the map.
They take Mike Beasley.
Milwaukee
They have Mo Williams running the show. And he has proven this year that he can do it, albeit they still aren't winning. They need a superstar, not a star who is just going to fill up the stat sheet like Redd does. They can move Villanueva to SF or keep him at PF.
They take Mike Beasley.
LA Clippers
With Elton Brand back from injury and Corey Magette at the SF they are set at forward. Livingston still hasn't come back from that grisly knee injury, and at this point Derrick Rose seems like the far better PG prospect.
They take Derrick Rose.
New York
There is going to be a ton of activity in New York this offseason. Firstly, with Isiah Thomas getting the boot (hopefully) and many front office trades are going to be happening. When all is said and done, I can't decide who New York will take. While the Randolph/Curry experiment didn't work out, will they take Beasley to fix it? Or because Starbury isn't as good as his name suggests anymore will they take Rose?
Memphis
Memphis is in a serious rebuilding mode, after dumping Gasol and getting a pittance for it. I figure the way Gay is developing they want a point guard to get him the ball, and a point guard who is an absolute stud.
They take Derrick Rose.
Minnesota
Al Jefferson is manning the paint, but Beasley is more of a 3 anyways. They will certainly take the best available and go with him.
They take Mike Beasley.
Seattle
Seattle already got a studly SF player who is remotely like Beasley, what they need and have not got from Ridnour or Watson is a an extremely steady hand at the 1 and a guy who is going to be a star in this League for years to come.
They take Derrick Rose.
Miami
Well, Miami seems set at SF with Marion, but also Wade mans the back court, and while he isn't a pure point he can get the job done when the talent is there. I figure they need a more dominant frontcourt in Miami, and that is exactly what they'll get.
They take Mike Beasley.

Wade does not wan't to play point, & both him, & marion sead that they want Rose.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
Pat Reilly
I hit open layups

Pat Reilly has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
Wade does not wan't to play point, & both him, & marion sead that they want Rose.

And does anyone think Pat Riley would prefer the guy whose interest in playing defense is suspect? If Beasley's defense was equal to his offense it would be a no-brainer.
Rose fits more the defense first philosophy Miami believes in.
Pat Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #37
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

Leoshes, I was talking about Miami and Minnesota, and Craig Smith plays for Minnesota.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #38
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reilly
And does anyone think Pat Riley would prefer the guy whose interest in playing defense is suspect? If Beasley's defense was equal to his offense it would be a no-brainer.
Rose fits more the defense first philosophy Miami believes in.

Your preching to the quire. Thats what i've bin saying, I do not wan't i defenseve liability.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #39
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Leoshes, I was talking about Miami and Minnesota, and Craig Smith plays for Minnesota.

Allright i got you.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
RayLew
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RayLew has an OK reputation so far

Don't Kill me,i think that the #1 is Danilo Gallinari,I'm italian so I watch him playn' every week. He is a SG 6-8 but he can play very well like a SF. Do you know him?

EDit:in the next draft he should be the 4th or 5th pick...
RayLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #41
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLew
Don't Kill me,i think that the #1 is Danilo Gallinari,I'm italian so I watch him playn' every week. He is a SG 6-8 but he can play very well like a SF. Do you know him?

EDit:in the next draft he should be the 4th or 5th pick...

I don't trust uro players, unless they go to collage in the states, that way i can see them play agenst other NBA draft hopefulls.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #42
monthh
Local High School Star

I think you can get a pretty good idea how good a SG/SF type is against these other guys because even though Europeans aren't as good as a lot of US players, these young guys are playing against 25-35 year old men. Guys who are doing this as a living to support families and stuff. Guys who have been playing pro 10 to 15 years.

I think the biggest difference between Gallinari and those Euro busts is that he won't get time being just 6-8. He won't stand out unless he is really good. What made a lot of those busts stand out was that that they were 7-footers the were pretty athletic and had decent range on their jump shots. They might only get 10-15 minutes just because they are big, but NBA scouts were drooling over finding a great 7-footer that had those kinds of skills. Gallinari wouldn't even see the court on a decent team if he wasn't going to help that team win and be as good as the others on the court.

And don't be affraid to support Gallinari in here as he could very well end up being the best player in the draft. Just don't become a spammer that only talks about him in every thread.

As for my personal opinion, he is not even close to being the best player, but any lottery pick could be the best player in his draft. Not that they are the best players in their drafts, but what is to say he isn't another Pierce or T-Mac? Those guys were a pretty good value in the last half of the lottery. I think this year he sits in the 6-12 range. I think he could move up, but I don't see him cracking the top 5. I agree that next year he could move up into the 4-8 range. Maybe even top 3 if he shows the improvement you would expect in a young player. I think as a near lock for the lottery this season, however, he stays in.

And to add a bit more to the conversation, I think the Knicks as high as 5 may take a look at him. Really they could take anything, so I wouldn't count them out. I think Chicago may very move Deng and/or Gordon, so they would give him a long look. New Jersey may look to move Jefferson, so at 10 they would give him a look. One team that on paper looks like they would love him is Milwaukee, but based on their pick of Yi last year, I think this team is going for broke and picking guys with the biggest risk and hoping they pan out. Gallinari would be a great pick for them, but I think it is more likely they go for the home run with Mayo, Gordon, or Love even if they don't need to fill that position.

Last edited by monthh : 05-06-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #43
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Quote:
I think you can get a pretty good idea how good a SG/SF type is against these other guys because even though Europeans aren't as good as a lot of US players, these young guys are playing against 25-35 year old men. Guys who are doing this as a living to support families and stuff. Guys who have been playing pro 10 to 15 years.

I think the biggest difference between Gallinari and those Euro busts is that he won't get time being just 6-8. He won't stand out unless he is really good. What made a lot of those busts stand out was that that they were 7-footers the were pretty athletic and had decent range on their jump shots. They might only get 10-15 minutes just because they are big, but NBA scouts were drooling over finding a great 7-footer that had those kinds of skills. Gallinari wouldn't even see the court on a decent team if he wasn't going to help that team win and be as good as the others on the court.

And don't be affraid to support Gallinari in here as he could very well end up being the best player in the draft. Just don't become a spammer that only talks about him in every thread.

As for my personal opinion, he is not even close to being the best player, but any lottery pick could be the best player in his draft. Not that they are the best players in their drafts, but what is to say he isn't another Pierce or T-Mac? Those guys were a pretty good value in the last half of the lottery. I think this year he sits in the 6-12 range. I think he could move up, but I don't see him cracking the top 5. I agree that next year he could move up into the 4-8 range. Maybe even top 3 if he shows the improvement you would expect in a young player. I think as a near lock for the lottery this season, however, he stays in.

And to add a bit more to the conversation, I think the Knicks as high as 5 may take a look at him. Really they could take anything, so I wouldn't count them out. I think Chicago may very move Deng and/or Gordon, so they would give him a long look. New Jersey may look to move Jefferson, so at 10 they would give him a look. One team that on paper looks like they would love him is Milwaukee, but based on their pick of Yi last year, I think this team is going for broke and picking guys with the biggest risk and hoping they pan out. Gallinari would be a great pick for them, but I think it is more likely they go for the home run with Mayo, Gordon, or Love even if they don't need to fill that position.

yea but they are not good enough to play in the NBA, thats y they play over there. Am not saying that he will be a bust, just that we need to see him play agenst top caliber competision.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #44
monthh
Local High School Star

But he goes up against competition that is just as good as college players, it is just that while the players may not be as talented, the teams are better. Just look how those teams with "lesser" players have been beating the US. Look at a lot of the college players that go over there, some of the US stars in college don't do much. I can't so for sure, but I am sure NBA teams have seen Gallinari go up against the best of the best in European basketball.

Plus you can't assume that these guys aren't playing in the NBA because they aren't good enough. Watch some of those international tournaments and sure you have guys like Manu, Scola, and Raul Lopez that dominate, but there are other guys who are very good as well. Some guys don't want to come to the NBA. Then you have some guys like Scola who could have been playing in the NBA for the last 5 years waiting until he felt good enough where he had been to take on a new challenge and come to the NBA.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #45
RayLew
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RayLew has an OK reputation so far

The only problem is that Gallinari didn't play the euroleague,because he plays in Milan,a team not so good in recent time. So playng in this team he can shot all the times he wants,and in the NBA,it won't be so.

EDit: But he dominated the Italian league...
RayLew is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: