Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #16
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28,678
gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
oh and about phx gts, they really do have a great great bunch. nash is able to cope with his back problems just fine. amare doesnt even look like he ever had microfracture surgery. grant hill, who was very injury prone in the past is now playing 35 mins/gm and has no problem with that ankle..and most recently, raja bell went down with a bad looking ankle sprain..came back 2 games later or so.
yeah but he only missed 15 games last in orlando and never more than one or two in a row all season and never to his ankle, if i remember right.... he also took some games off to deal with his daughters health problems too.. MS?
i think thats what she has...

i'm not saying the suns staff isn't great but i don't belive they have some magic bullet that nobody else has... i credit it with a combination of a good traing staff, d'antonis short pratices and the fact that they use such a short rotaion...less guys get exposed to injury because 7 of them sit on the bench everynight and never get in the game...lol

yes amare has come back great from his surgery, but he took the whole year off just like anyone else who has that surgery, he didn't comeback and faster then anyone else...

nash still battles back spasms, the staff hasn't cured them, he just plays through it most the time

shaq, don't get me started with him..lol

Last edited by gts : 03-31-2008 at 01:30 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
Bruinlove
Banned
 
Bruinlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 1,653
Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

I'm not trying to entirely blame the training staff of course, just it seems like some teams (suns, warriors) have better training or conditioning staffs then others, or maybe it could just be attributed to the style of basketball they play inherintly makes their players better conditioned, or just a coincidence, while other teams like ours in particular seem to get alot of injuries that happen to heal much slower then expected or anticipated.

Hopefully we can just attribute all of it to bad luck, because I'd think that a city like LA would have one of the top med staffs in the country, we have UCLA hospital and sedar-sinai and everything, but both our teams still have a ton of injuries.

Maybe it's all just bad luck, but I'm not sure I believe that entirely. I think there's more our staff can do. Phoenix seems to be the gold standard, why can't we get a program like theirs?
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar
 
ihatetimthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 13,370
ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
I'm not trying to entirely blame the training staff of course, just it seems like some teams (suns, warriors) have better training or conditioning staffs then others, or maybe it could just be attributed to the style of basketball they play inherintly makes their players better conditioned, or just a coincidence, while other teams like ours in particular seem to get alot of injuries that happen to heal much slower then expected or anticipated.

Hopefully we can just attribute all of it to bad luck, because I'd think that a city like LA would have one of the top med staffs in the country, we have UCLA hospital and sedar-sinai and everything, but both our teams still have a ton of injuries.

Maybe it's all just bad luck, but I'm not sure I believe that entirely. I think there's more our staff can do. Phoenix seems to be the gold standard, why can't we get a program like theirs?


Well, none of their players have really sustained the type of injuries our guys have. With Bynum, i dont think if we had Phx staff, he would be back faster. The injuries they have had are major injuries that require time to heal. Its not like our staff can speed up timetables of their bodies healing. I really believe we have bad luck when it comes to injuries. Most injuries we have had are pretty major, and its pretty much depends on how the players bodies heal itself. look at the Suns, they really havnt had any of their players get bad injuries other than Amare and that took him a year to heal (which is standard for microfracture surgery)

And sprained ankles are sprained ankles. Our staff is not going to be able to speed up recovery process outside of what is the known treatment for rolled ankles. Ice, rest, boot is all you can really do with the rolled ankles
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
211269
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,059
211269 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

I think you may be right about the training staff not being too great. Nowitzki had a high left ankle sprain and a mild left knee sprain and hes coming back Wed, only 10 days after his injury which looked far worse than Gasol's. Gasol has been out for THREE weeks this Thursday. Thats bull****.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 23,362
SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injuries?

OK, those of you that defy logic by bandwagoning on a completely flawed theory disappoint me.... think it through... do your research and then come to the forum with these comments.



SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09
 
kobedaman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 3,354
kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

I agree with SoCalMike. The Lakers as an organization release the news of the injured players return a bit earlier than expected to keep the fans happy, but what turns out happening is that, we get smacked by reality 2 weaks later as we don't see any of those players out there. Then comes the news that it's been postponed again..

This up/down news thing is bull...
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 760
Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

It's impossible for the training staff to have "caused" everyone's injuries. I saw with my very own eyes: both Pau and Drew got injured by landing awkwardly. Unless the training staff told God to make them jump up and land on someone else's foot, that's no one's fault--just bad luck.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,935
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
It's impossible for the training staff to have "caused" everyone's injuries. I saw with my very own eyes: both Pau and Drew got injured by landing awkwardly. Unless the training staff told God to make them jump up and land on someone else's foot, that's no one's fault--just bad luck.

We aren't saying they caused the injuries. We're mad because the players take longer to return and it could be a result of if the injuries are treated well enough if at all.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #24
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 760
Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
We aren't saying they caused the injuries. We're mad because the players take longer to return and it could be a result of if the injuries are treated well enough if at all.

I was responding to the title of the thread, which insinuated that the injuries themselves were somehow Gary Vitti's fault. I was being overly technical for the sake of humor, but I guess that failed. Anyway, since you took the time to respond to me, I'll reply in turn.

If you wanna imply that these highly-paid professionals, working in high-profile positions for one of the most prestigious franchises in sports, are somehow getting away with not treating sports injuries (which is, you know, THEIR JOB and stuff)...I don't know what to tell you. You're wrong? That sounds good. You're wrong.

The amount of conclusion-jumping in this thread disturbs me. "Oh, they're taking longer to heal than I expected! It must be the trainers' fault!" Huh? Does anyone here have ANY scientific, falsifiable, non-anecdotal basis for their "Vitti sucks" argument? Anyone? Unless you do, unless you have a background in sports training, such that you can thoroughly understand the extent of the individual injuries in question here, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the pro with 20+ years experience. Otherwise you're gonna look like you're talking out of something other than your mouth.

You can't expect the best possible results, all the time. Drew wasn't expected back in 8 weeks--that was the minimum number of weeks possible. Pau's (moderate) ankle sprain? Again, he was expected to miss a minimum of 2 games. Chris Mihm? He's had a series of setbacks, but his ankle sprain wasn't some minor tweak-- it was the worst basketball injury Vitti had ever seen. Who else? Trevor? Again, 8-week minimum. Keep in mind that you're expecting 200-300 pound bodies to resume running and jumping around--against the greatest athletes in the world-- on these ankles and feet.

Someone mentioned Dirk coming back pretty soon, and it's a good (anecdotal) counterpoint, except: 1) we don't know for sure if Pau's single injury isn't actually worse than Dirk's two injuries; and 2) Dirk's team is on the verge of missing the playoffs, while our team is only concerned about playoff seeding at this point. The Lakers have obviously prioritized Pau's complete recovery over winning a few extra games; the Mavs don't have that luxury with their star.

See, lakerfreak, this is what happens when you respond to me: you get a novella-length, eye-glazing, thread-derailing response. I hope you've learned your lesson.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #25
Coop-A-Loop
I can handle it!!!
 
Coop-A-Loop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: With us/Against us? You decide
Posts: 638
Coop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

In the grand scheme of things I don't think any of us will ever be happy with the Lakers. This forum has gone from complaining about Andrew (he turned out to be a halfway decent player) to Kobe (We don't need to say anything here) to Mitch (well this season is going pretty well with the moves he did/didn't make) to Lamar (the man lost his son in the off season I don't think my head would be screwed on all that straight yet) to now the ultimate - Gary Vitti.
This season is going pretty damn well if all we have to complain about now is Gary Vitti.
Just my cent and a half.
Coop-A-Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,935
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
I was responding to the title of the thread, which insinuated that the injuries themselves were somehow Gary Vitti's fault. I was being overly technical for the sake of humor, but I guess that failed. Anyway, since you took the time to respond to me, I'll reply in turn.

If you wanna imply that these highly-paid professionals, working in high-profile positions for one of the most prestigious franchises in sports, are somehow getting away with not treating sports injuries (which is, you know, THEIR JOB and stuff)...I don't know what to tell you. You're wrong? That sounds good. You're wrong.

The amount of conclusion-jumping in this thread disturbs me. "Oh, they're taking longer to heal than I expected! It must be the trainers' fault!" Huh? Does anyone here have ANY scientific, falsifiable, non-anecdotal basis for their "Vitti sucks" argument? Anyone? Unless you do, unless you have a background in sports training, such that you can thoroughly understand the extent of the individual injuries in question here, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the pro with 20+ years experience. Otherwise you're gonna look like you're talking out of something other than your mouth.

You can't expect the best possible results, all the time. Drew wasn't expected back in 8 weeks--that was the minimum number of weeks possible. Pau's (moderate) ankle sprain? Again, he was expected to miss a minimum of 2 games. Chris Mihm? He's had a series of setbacks, but his ankle sprain wasn't some minor tweak-- it was the worst basketball injury Vitti had ever seen. Who else? Trevor? Again, 8-week minimum. Keep in mind that you're expecting 200-300 pound bodies to resume running and jumping around--against the greatest athletes in the world-- on these ankles and feet.

Someone mentioned Dirk coming back pretty soon, and it's a good (anecdotal) counterpoint, except: 1) we don't know for sure if Pau's single injury isn't actually worse than Dirk's two injuries; and 2) Dirk's team is on the verge of missing the playoffs, while our team is only concerned about playoff seeding at this point. The Lakers have obviously prioritized Pau's complete recovery over winning a few extra games; the Mavs don't have that luxury with their star.

See, lakerfreak, this is what happens when you respond to me: you get a novella-length, eye-glazing, thread-derailing response. I hope you've learned your lesson.

lol I did learn my lesson but you did bring up great points.. I dont understand why we are so unlucky. I mean injuries happen to every team but with us it happens to the wrong people at the worst time of our schedule.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 760
Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
lol I did learn my lesson but you did bring up great points.. I dont understand why we are so unlucky. I mean injuries happen to every team but with us it happens to the wrong people at the worst time of our schedule.

Yeah, I agree that the injuries have just been brutal this year. On the other hand, I'd bet Rockets and Clippers fans would roll their eyes if we were to complain in front of them. I guess injuries (and fans complaining about injuries) are just a part of the game.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?
 
bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 11,928
bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injuries?

I'm pretty sure its all Frank Foley's fault.
He scared them with that little beast in his avatar.
What is that thing, anyway?

...say "Frank Foley's fault" 10 times fast!
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 760
Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injuries?

It's a fennec. Cutest animal in existence. Half bunny, half dog and half cat, with the bestest aspects of each.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #30
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28,678
gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it possible that the Lakers training staff could be to blame for all the injuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
It's a fennec. Cutest animal in existence. Half bunny, half dog and half cat, with the bestest aspects of each.

and they taste good too!

want my recipe for fennec tail pie?


so it's a fox? from africa? and you can buy them as pets?
Quote:
say "Frank Foley's fault" 10 times fast!

try

"franks foley's fuzzy fennec feels funny"

Last edited by gts : 04-01-2008 at 05:21 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy