Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: LA Times - Gasol and Bynum: Please hurry back to Lakers

Source: Gasol and Bynum: Please hurry back to Lakers

Quote:

Welcome to the thrilling days of yesteryear, last year to be exact, when the Lakers came down the stretch like a boulder rolling down a mountain.

Last spring at this time, they were giving new dimension to the phrase "dog days." Kobe Bryant reportedly counted the teammates playing as if they cared and came up with something in the low single figures (one actually -- Ronny Turiaf.)

These days when their future glows with promise, that seems like something that happened in a galaxy far, far away. . . .

Or it least it did before they managed to lose home games to 25-45 Charlotte and 15-53 Memphis.

"Well, it caused some erratic sleep for two, three nights this week," said Phil Jackson, usually a die-hard optimist, before Sunday night's game.

"You think you have everything going for you. . . . We have a homestand and we can't take advantage of it."

Happily for Jackson's sleep the next two or three nights, the Lakers won Sunday, beating the Wizards, 126-120, even if they had to go overtime and withstand a 27-point onslaught from rookie Nick Young, the former Trojan, who picked Sunday night to throw himself a "welcome home" party.

In the really good news for Jackson, this isn't last season -- not with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum due back . . . any day now.

Not that the Lakers are hanging on by their fingernails, but when Jackson was asked which Lakers he wasn't happy with, he started with his trainer.

"Gary Vitti is the guy that really bothers me the most because he's our trainer who can't get everybody healthy," said Jackson, whimsically, we think.

"Every day he says, 'I wish I could get this guy ready for you, but. . . . '

"I won't go through the litany of the rest of it."

Everybody handles crises their own way. After the Lakers' loss to Charlotte, Bryant took over as only he can, going for 53 points against Memphis, looking like he intended to keep firing until Gasol, Bynum or both were back.

This was Last Spring's Kobe, as opposed to the This Season's Kobe, the one Jackson prefers.

"We had a discussion yesterday," Jackson said. "He's played such great basketball and he's been such a good team leader, I just said, 'Just don't destroy the relationship that you've built with the players this year.'

"And he said, 'Nah, it's not going to affect what we do. I just had to get out and vent what was irritating about the game. . . .'

"So he was obviously irritated by the game prior to that, Charlotte."

Or as Bryant put if after Sunday night's game, "I needed a game to blow it off. Too bad we didn't play any damn defense. . . .

"What I told the team was, we've done a good job all season of beating bad teams. We had a couple of bad games, but there's no reason to panic."

Sunday night Bryant took only six shots in the first half and wound up scoring 26 points with 13 assists, renewing the relationship with his teammates.

Thus empowered again, instead of launching an unheard-of 45 three-pointers as they did against Memphis, they were down to 27, which was merely too many.

With this lineup, the inside game consists of Lamar Odom's occasional forays to the hoop, or Bryant driving with the entire defense focused on him.

In other words, as currently configured, the Lakers are a three-point launching machine. Luckily, they made 14 of their 27 attempts Sunday.

Oh, and they don't play much defense, either, which you might have guessed after seeing them give up 115-119-108-114 in their last four games before Sunday's defensive struggle.

"This wasn't a blowout or an easy win," said Jackson, counting his blessings.

"But we did get that 50th win. We think we'll have to have 57 or so wins to finish at the top of the heap."

It's indisputable, you can't get to 57 without reaching 50 first, but if the Lakers are going to finish at the top of the heap, they'll need reinforcements.

If they're fortunate, help will arrive soon. If they're really fortunate, either Gasol or Bynum will be available from that point on and they'll never have to run this lineup out there again.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Article: LA Times - Gasol and Bynum: Please hurry back to Lakers

Jackson is right about Vitti.

All our guys that get injured take much longer to return and we have guys that are injured that are forced to keep playing.

FO may need to take a look at Vitti's record after this season and make some tough decisions as he has been with the lakers for I dont know how long now.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

kobe kinda pisses me off...lol

Quote:
Everybody handles crises their own way. After the Lakers' loss to Charlotte, Bryant took over as only he can, going for 53 points against Memphis, looking like he intended to keep firing until Gasol, Bynum or both were back.

This was Last Spring's Kobe, as opposed to the This Season's Kobe, the one Jackson prefers.

"We had a discussion yesterday," Jackson said. "He's played such great basketball and he's been such a good team leader, I just said, 'Just don't destroy the relationship that you've built with the players this year.'

"And he said, 'Nah, it's not going to affect what we do. I just had to get out and vent what was irritating about the game. . . .'

"So he was obviously irritated by the game prior to that, Charlotte."

Or as Bryant put if after Sunday night's game, "I needed a game to blow it off. Too bad we didn't play any damn defense. . . .

just because he's upset at a loss a game in which he went 8-23 turned the ball over 3 times and got tossed from he decides to freelance the next game and ignore his teammates...lol

i realize the team didn't play well against charlotte but kobe didn't exactly set the world on fire that night.... just seems wrong and incredibly self centered and immature to be honest

as for vitti... i don't know, i'm sure that's something that has been looked at very carefully by the front office..he's considered by many to be a top level trainer... lamar seems to have recovered just fine from two off season surgeries...

i realize we all want players to return fast but i think long term health is more important then short term fixes...

unlike the suns and dallas and spurs which are aging teams, the lakers as constructed right now don't just look like winners for this season, they look like a contender for several years to come. to me it's more important to make sure guys like bynum ariza and pau are 100% ok to be on the floor with zero cahnce to reaggravate an injury then to rush something in an effort to secure the best record in the west

Last edited by gts : 03-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
kobe kinda pisses me off...lol

just because he's upset at a loss a game in which he went 8-23 turned the ball over 3 times and got tossed from he decides to freelance the next game and ignore his teammates...lol

i realize the team didn't play well against charlotte but kobe didn't exactly set the world on fire that night.... just seems wrong and incredibly self centered and immature to be honest

If he wakes up one morning and finds chris Paul the MVP, he should look back at those games and kick himself in the ass while saying "I should have stayed focused."
Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
hotsizzle
Superstar

**** gary vitti and our training staff. terrible. not a coincidence our players are always going down with sprained ankles that somehow keep taking longer to heal.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
SoCalMike

gentlemen, Jackson had to be kidding in that comment... where is your sense of humor... Jackson always throws those kinds of silly comments in.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Lakers13
Reload Time

I too am starting to question Vitti and his staff......especially the last 4-5 years. Guys dont come back on time, take too long to heal, etc. I mean Pau had a worse sprain with the Grizz and we got him back sooner then when our staff messes with him. Buss wont get rid of Vitti though, hes been there forever.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
gentlemen, Jackson had to be kidding in that comment... where is your sense of humor... Jackson always throws those kinds of silly comments in.

even if he was, i think hes right. it cant be a coincidence that our guys keep going down like flies and somehow always always always taking longer to heal.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

It was probably a mistake for Jackson to bring it up though because that has been in our heads for some time now.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Lakers13
Reload Time

Quote:

I think everyone knows Phil is joking, but for real, why do our guys take the longest to come back from stuff? We should bring in some of those PHX guys or something...jesus.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
SoCalMike

I just don't know why you guys think the Lakers would not have the best training staff in the league, if not one of the best...

As I said in another thread, I believe its more of how the Lakers organization manages our expectations...

Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Lakers13
Reload Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
It was probably a mistake for Jackson to bring it up though because that has been in our heads for some time now.

+1 Everyone has been thinking it, Phil finally put it out there, in a joking matter, either way, you know hes thinking it if he said it.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13
+1 Everyone has been thinking it, Phil finally put it out there, in a joking matter, either way, you know hes thinking it if he said it.

Um, I had not been thinking it... and I have not heard anyone else here say it recently... I've heard a lot more complaining about players such as Luke, etc... so if this was a big issue on your minds, you guys sure kept it to yourselves.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Um, I had not been thinking it... and I have not heard anyone else here say it recently... I've heard a lot more complaining about players such as Luke, etc... so if this was a big issue on your minds, you guys sure kept it to yourselves.

so true.... i wonder what it will be next week, hmmm lets see we've run out of players, this week its the traing staff, maybe next week it'll be the equipment managers...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Lakers13
Reload Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
so true.... i wonder what it will be next week, hmmm lets see we've run out of players, this week its the traing staff, maybe next week it'll be the equipment managers...

Come on, you know that towel boy doesnt do the greatest job wiping up the floor sometimes

Last edited by Lakers13 : 03-31-2008 at 12:48 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: