Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Who to draft ?

Last mock draft I read had us taking Chris Douglas-Roberts. Claimed he was the shooter we needed. Again, I don't watch NCAA so I have no idea who he is, but he sounds like he might be a nice pick at #19.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm with Mathius in that I don't closely follow college ball.

I would like to see us draft someone who isn't a project. This team is pretty close to being elite. I'm always a fan of drafting the polished college junior/senior over someone who is 19 and has a lot of developing to do. Leave those draft picks for the bad teams. Cavs can't fool around with prospects at this point. Go for the sure thing.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Last mock draft I read had us taking Chris Douglas-Roberts. Claimed he was the shooter we needed. Again, I don't watch NCAA so I have no idea who he is, but he sounds like he might be a nice pick at #19.

Mathius
CDR is a 6-6/200 lb junior SG. He played along side Derrick Rose and late in the game the ball was in his hands not rose's. He could be a pick at 19 if we draft him.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #19
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

CDR is a nice player, and we could certainly do a lot worse than a proven all-American first teamer at the 19th pick. But to be honest he's not that good a shooter (71% FT), and I doubt he will be a better pro than Devin Brown or Wally, meaning he'd just end up getting stuck somewhere in our already deep SG rotation.

Instead I'd really rather have some much needed youth and depth in the frontcourt, because lets face it there will be stretches next season where Z or Big Ben are injured, and when that happens I'd rather not have to play Dwayne Jones. Also 3 of our 4 rotation bigmen are over 30, and the last is Varejao .....
We need some new blood in the frontcourt, and as luck would have it there is lots of talent available around the 19th pick this year, though it will ofcourse be a gamble, but its a gamble we can afford to make.
BigTicket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
CDR is a nice player, and we could certainly do a lot worse than a proven all-American first teamer at the 19th pick. But to be honest he's not that good a shooter (71% FT), and I doubt he will be a better pro than Devin Brown or Wally, meaning he'd just end up getting stuck somewhere in our already deep SG rotation.

Instead I'd really rather have some much needed youth and depth in the frontcourt, because lets face it there will be stretches next season where Z or Big Ben are injured, and when that happens I'd rather not have to play Dwayne Jones. Also 3 of our 4 rotation bigmen are over 30, and the last is Varejao .....
We need some new blood in the frontcourt, and as luck would have it there is lots of talent available around the 19th pick this year, though it will ofcourse be a gamble, but its a gamble we can afford to make.

I don't think it IS a gamble we can afford to make. We don't have a lot of trade assets. We have some expirers coming up, but the talent level for those guys is relatively low and they will most likely end up being packaged together to make something happen because we just don't have a lot going for us from a talent standpoint. In all honesty, the only way we're going to get something really good for them is in a case where there's a player demanding a trade.

We haven't done a good job of building through the draft, and that's a mistake you can't afford to make. The Spurs do an excellent job of bringing in talent later in the draft, usually in the form of some overseas player that won't be able to play immediately, but is a good solid pick in the long run. And some of those guys like Barbosa and Scola have become trade assets for them as well.

Other than picking up Gibson who everyone knew was a steal where he landed, we just haven't done a good job I don't think.

I would rather see us take a solid guy than take a gamble on a big man.

Honestly, the number of times a big man taken late in the draft has actually performed well in this league is almost none. It's almost a waste of time.

Mathius
Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

CDR dunking on Kevin Love
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
Mathius

Been looking at a lot of Mock draft's lately. Strangely enough a lot of them have us drafting a center. A lot as in most of them. I don't understand it. We're going to draft a player that can help now, not someone who is a project. Lebron wants to win now, he doesn't believe in rebuilding. That's a fact.

Z is getting old, but he can still hang in there. It would be nice to have the luxury of bringing someone in behind him, but it's not likely to happen. We need help now.

I've seen at least two MD's saying we'll draft DeAndre Jordan. One said JaVale McGee... one even said Koufous.

Chad Ford has us drafting Roy Hibbert, saying we need inside help, and he's the most NBA ready center available. Might be nice if it's true. Almost every mock draft had him available to us.

Inside Hoops said... Brandon Rush? I think.

Most draft charts had CDR falling to Houston, or even as late as the Hornets. one draft had the Phoenix Suns taking him.

Should be interesting.

I wonder if they'll actually hold on to the pick or not.

Mathius
Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #23
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think Hibbert and Rush would be the best fits. Hibbert is a lot like Z. I really think he could develop into about the same level as well. I just wonder if the Cavs would rather go with a little faster team with LeBron leading them.

Rush would be a perfect fit next to LeBron, though. He has good size, should be a good shooter, and the best part is a shutdown defender. Another plus is that he played for a very balanced Kansas team so he doesn't need the ball to be effective and is used to not being the man. He could be a more athletic Wally that plays defense. One weakness may be that he doesn't handle the ball as well as you hope a SG would, but with LeBron running things, I don't think that will be a major issue. Just think how they would do with a guy who shut down players like Durant, Richard Roby, and Bill Walker against Pierce.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
Mathius

I'm seriously getting annoyed with the Plain Dealer's draft coverage particularly the crap from Mary Schmitt Boyer. I've actually considered writing the paper, but I doubt it would do any good.

I don't understand why she keeps insisting that insiders are saying the Cavs will draft a big man.

If it's true, then the Cavs are completely clueless for one very basic reason. Lebron James does not like rebuilding. Which means we need a player that's going to make an impact now. Historically, that's not a big man taken at #19.

She even listed a bunch of picks at 19, to illustrate that good picks have come from that position. Unfortunately, there were only 3 of them that were big men, H. Warrick from Memphis, Zack Randolph, and Jamal Maagloire. Maagloire had one good season, Warrick has yet to show he's all that great, and Randolph is cancer, despite his decent numbers.

I'm just really annoyed with it. There's very little NBA coverage right now for obvious reasons, so I'm hungry for anything I can get, and they give me this crap.

I don't understand why they have to spin everything on a local level either. Like when Boston was in the Finals, they just had to do an article on James Posey going to school in OH. Who gives a damn? Is that supposed to motivate some kid somewhere to do better because someone from OH went pro?

How much better would the PD be, if they were doing national sports coverage? Maybe it's just a question of resources, I'm sure they don't have people to span the country looking for stories, but you'd think with the internet nowadays, they could find stuff and quote their sources.

Mathius
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I'm seriously getting annoyed with the Plain Dealer's draft coverage particularly the crap from Mary Schmitt Boyer. I've actually considered writing the paper, but I doubt it would do any good.

I don't understand why she keeps insisting that insiders are saying the Cavs will draft a big man.

If it's true, then the Cavs are completely clueless for one very basic reason. Lebron James does not like rebuilding. Which means we need a player that's going to make an impact now. Historically, that's not a big man taken at #19.

She even listed a bunch of picks at 19, to illustrate that good picks have come from that position. Unfortunately, there were only 3 of them that were big men, H. Warrick from Memphis, Zack Randolph, and Jamal Maagloire. Maagloire had one good season, Warrick has yet to show he's all that great, and Randolph is cancer, despite his decent numbers.

Mathius

I think the talk of taking a C is due to the idea that Anderson will be traded at some point, if they do draft a big it might be a good indication that a trade could happen.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
I think the talk of taking a C is due to the idea that Anderson will be traded at some point, if they do draft a big it might be a good indication that a trade could happen.

Yeah, but the point is, Lebron wants to win now. He's not interested in waiting on some young player to develop.

Mathius
Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #27
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Yeah, but the point is, Lebron wants to win now. He's not interested in waiting on some young player to develop.

Mathius

LeBron might want to win now, but he's got Captain clueless as his GM right now:

Quote:
“I believe in continuity,” general manager Danny Ferry said Monday. “Keeping a group together is usually the right thing. … I’m not aggressively out there trying to do anything.”

http://www.chroniclet.com/2008/06/25...major-changes/
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #28
Whammer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Whammer has an OK reputation so far

As of right now if the Cavs don't take Courtney Lee I will be pretty ticked off..I think this is the guy we have been looking for since LeBron has come to the Cavs..I believe he could be a great side kick to LBJ
Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #29
Mathius

Anyone else notice that "Mary Schmitt Boyer" did a total 180 today with her column on the draft, pointing out that taking a big man doesn't help the Cavs _now_.

She still annoyed me when she said something along the lines of Lebron James doing something "clever" by letting his contract expire in 2010, as if that's a significant date or something. All he did was sign for 1 year less than the Cavs wanted.

Mathius
Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Congratulations guys. None of us predicted JJ Hickson
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: