Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Default Who do we want in RETURN???

Okay, I posted an earlier thread about who is most likely to get traded this off season - think it got some pretty good discussion - now, who / what do you want in return???

Jose Calderon was the most-mentioned I believe - Danny Granger with the Pacers was mentioned - I brought up the question of whether there was any interest in Andre Miller - mixed results.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Who do we want in RETURN???

Honestly, I'd like to add a young point guard via the draft or Jose Calderon but not if we lose Travis Outlaw and I'm sure Pritchard and Nate feel the same way as me. The only player that I'd trade Outlaw for is Danny Granger. Andre Miller would be a good short term solution, but he will want to much money and probably to many years for the Blazers to think about him.

Does anyone think a rebuilding team would take Raef LaFrentz and ALL our draft picks for their superstar?

I'm not talking Jason Kidd or Shaq type of deal here but a younger guy like Ron Artest? Just an example, I know most Portland fans wouldn't want him here because of his background although I think he would make a great addition to this team with his all around defensive skills and also the ability to score.

Maybe Josh Howard? I know he now has a background but he is also a good all around player who I think would meche well with this team and with guys like Jack, Roy, Oden, Przybilla and Nate McMillian in the lockerrom, I'm not so sure he wouldn't turn his life around or at least not affect the team with it.

Just some thoughts.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Obviously a PG and/or SF of the starting caliber. As nice as Granger sounds, he is out of the question if you ask me. He was only brought up in conversation because an Indiana fan came in asked "Would you take [insert Pacer player we don't want] for [insert Blazers we didn't find worth trading to the Pacers]". We then claimed the only player we would want from the Pacers is Granger, but I don't see a realistic trade that would satisfy needs for both teams.

I'm on board for the Calderon trade as long as it doesn't include Outlaw AND the #13 pick. If they want both, we will need to expand the trade in a way we get something else too (whether it be from the Raptors or a third team).

I would also be ok with TJ Ford, but the price must be much cheaper talent wise. Maybe Martell plus 2nd rounders OR Jack plus 2nd rounders. Again, I'm not sure how well this will sit with Raptor fans though.

Andre Miller sounds good, but I again see this as improbable due to his large contract combined with his age. I would be fine with getting him as long as the talent we give up isn't in our long term plans and that we have a backup plan for once Miller ages, because I just see Miller sustaining his current level for another year or 2 and then starting to decline fairly quickly.

I'm having a hard time thinking of new trade ideas. I could throw out player names I would love to have, but I can't think of which ones would be a realistic chance at this moment.

Edit: btw, thanks for the boost on the Blazer discussions. I hope you stick around.

Last edited by Myth : 05-06-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen

I'm not talking Jason Kidd or Shaq type of deal here but a younger guy like Ron Artest? Just an example, I know most Portland fans wouldn't want him here because of his background although I think he would make a great addition to this team with his all around defensive skills and also the ability to score.

Maybe Josh Howard? I know he now has a background but he is also a good all around player who I think would meche well with this team and with guys like Jack, Roy, Oden, Przybilla and Nate McMillian in the lockerrom, I'm not so sure he wouldn't turn his life around or at least not affect the team with it.

Just some thoughts.

Artest - No, not going to happen because of the background thing. KP won't ever consider trading for Artest unless it is simply to buy out his contract Steve Francis style. We're not currently in a situation where we need to do something like that.

Josh Howard is more likely, but I don't see it happening because of his admitting to smoking Mary Jane. Most Blazer fans would be able to get over it if it weren't so recent, but the problem is that it was recent. Howard would be a great fit IF he could accept a role as a defensive stopper. He tends to want to be more offensive recently, and while his offense goes up, his defense goes down. That wouldn't be what we need.

Overall though, I do like the idea of trading the picks plus LaFrentz for a really good PG or SF as long as they are at least borderline all-stars and relatively youthful.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

I'd trade Channing Frye along with the 13th pick to Memphis for the 4th overall pick if Bayless was still on the board. Memphis doesn't have a need for Bayless since they already have Conley, Lowry, and Crittenton. They can use the 13th pick on swing or center. Frye gives them a power forward which they need and they still have the 28th pick of the draft. Bayless is a scoring point guard much like Tony Parker which bodes well for playing alongside Roy who has terrific passing abilities. Those two can combine for about 10-12 assist per game. Bayless also gives them another solid scoring option since Oden isn't much of an offensive player and the others are just too streaky. Bayless, Roy, Outlaw, Aldrige, and Oden would be a nice starting unit in the West.
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Myth

I think Oden will be solid on offense, just not superior.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how we could get that Frye + 13th for 4th and I'm struggling to figure a way around it salary wise. Salary wise draft picks don't count for anything, so thats the equivalent of trading $2.5 million for $0. Memphis has nobody around $2.5 that they would willingly give up without Portland adding some more pieces.

Here is the closest thing I can come up with but its a stretch that I'm not sure I'm even willing to make:

Portland receives:
Darko Milicic ($6.5 million)

Memphis receives:
Frye
Webster

With Frye leaving, Darko becomes Aldridge's backup, so even though I'm not high on Darko, it somewhat works. Like I said though, there isn't much options between us and Memphis to make Frye+13 for #4 work. Memphis though is pretty darn likely to end up elsewhere other than #4, so maybe if another team draws #4 we can have a better trade with them.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Myth

Does anybody know if Corey Maggette can play defense? He is a good SF that is losing his place on the Clippers with the development of Al Thornton. If Maggette does play good defense and his new contract that he would need to sign (his contract runs out, but I'm not sure if we could sign him or if it would need to be a sign and trade) must not be more spendy than his current one (makes $7 mil this year).
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Myth

Miami probably wouldn't do this, but lets pretend they get bumped out of the top 3, giving them the 4th pick. Maybe, if they want to get a little more depth and get slightly younger at the PF position, this could happen:

Portland gets:
Haslem

Heat gets:
Frye
Webster

Yep, very similar to the Memphis trade, but I'd much rather have Haslem than Darko even though Haslem is slightly older (27 vs 22). Plus Haslem has experience without being too old.

------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see the Blazers trade with the Bucks for either Ramon Sessions or (if he is at the board) DJ Augustine.

Maybe:

Channing Frye
Jack
2nd rounder(s)

for

Charlie Villanueva
Ramon Sessions

Upgrades the Blazer's backup PF. Jack currently is better than Sessions, but Sessions has major upside (maybe too much for the Bucks to let go of at his price ). I'm not sure on the Bucks' need for a scoring backup SG in a PG's body, but if they need it, it could work.

Another possibility with Milwaukie:
Frye
Sergio
(2nd rounder?)

for

Charlie V
draft rights to DJ Augustine (assuming Milwaukie is in position for that)

Pretty much we upgrade backup PF, we up ourselves in potential at the PG spot, with Milwaukie downgrading at those positions but they gain draft picks.

Edit: Wait, scratch that last one. I really don't see Milwaukie wanting Sergio AND Sessions. I won't delete the trade request I wrote for the sake of somebody possibly modifying it to make more sense.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I've been wanting Maggette for years now.

It seems like the Blazers front office talk about bringing in borderline all-stars or all-stars for a couple years then do nothing.

I remember in the Jail Blazer days, every offseason Vince Carter trade talks would arise and the Blazers would be one of the top teams in consideration, then the past couple seasons it's been Corey Maggette.

Maggette isn't great on defense but IMO, he's better than anyother SF we have defensivly and he has a good shot.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Myth

Quote:

Maggette isn't great on defense but IMO, he's better than anyother SF we have defensivly and he has a good shot.

As long as he an upgrade defensively, because the offense isn't necessary but it is a bonus as long as he doesn't demand needing a certain number of shots.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

This is bothering me. People are saying the offense isn't necessary but it's not like we averaged 100 points a game. I think we averaged like 96 or 97. Not sure but I know we didn't average 100 and in today's NBA that means that we are in the bottom half, bottom third or even possibly the bottom quarter of the NBA in scoring. Roy, Aldridge, Outlaw

We have three guys who we know can score consistantly. Thats not enough for me. Two starters and a 6th man

I'd like three starters and three guys off the bench who can score consistantly.

Thats just me though.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
Myth

I think defense is more important, you know, the whole "defense wins championships' thing. I think we will already have upgraded offense. We're adding Rudy Fernandez (most likely) and Oden is an upgrade offensively over Przybilla. Oden should also open things up for Aldridge to be more effective offensively (sort of like Shaq making it easier for Amare). These are reasons that I think if we are to get a new SF, defense is more important than offense. A Battier type player at SF would be great, but I don't think Houston is giving up Battier too easily.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I think it really all depends on if Aldridge will go back to going to the post or if he continues to drift out to shoot jumpers and be nonagressive
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Myth

Quote:
I think it really all depends on if Aldridge will go back to going to the post or if he continues to drift out to shoot jumpers and be nonagressive

Even thats not as bad now that we should have Oden under the board to add some offensive rebounds. My biggest problem with Aldridge shooting jumpers is the lack of rebounding we have when he does that. Like when Outlaw plays PF and Aldridge playing C, but Aldridge shoots a long 2 and we have no rebounders underneath. So even adding Oden makes it not as bad when Aldridge shoots long.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #15
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Here is what I posted in the dream offseason thread...

Trade Travis Outlaw & #13 For Jose Calderon & their first round pick

If Toronto Trade Doesn't Work
Sign Chris Duhon to a two year deal for about $3-5 million a year with a player option for a third season.

Trade Raef LaFrentz + ALL NBA draft picks in the 2008 NBA Draft for an All-Star caliber small forward like Ron Artest, Josh Howard or Corey Maggette.

Trade Channing Frye, Jarrett Jack & Martell Webster to New Jersey for Devin Harris & Josh Boone.

Trade James Jones for Rasual Butler

Bring over Joel Freeland and Rudy Fernandez

Devin Harris/Steve Blake/Chris Duhon
Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez
Corey Maggette/Travis Outlaw/Rasual Butler
LaMarcus Aldridge/Josh Boone/Joel Freeland/Josh McRoberts
Greg Oden/Joel Przybilla

:)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: