Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
theparade
I hit open layups

Default Tips/Pointers on my current program

Step 1: Bike 2:00

Step 2: Dynamic Stretching

Step 3: Bicycle 3:30

Step 4: Sit ups 20 x 2 and Pushups 20 x 2

Step 5: Stationary Bike 7:00

Step 6: Calf Raises (50 both legs) + Seated Calf Raises (50 both legs)

Step 7: Lunges 15 x 2 Sit ups 15 x 2 and Pushups 15 x 2

Step 8: Bicep Curls using resistance band 50 x 1, Tricep Press 15 x 2,
Step 9: Jump taps 20 x 2, 15 x 1, Jump tucks 20 x 1, 15 x 1,

Step 10: Run lightly and stretch.

Stats here:
Reach: 7"1.5
Weight: 120
Running Vertical: 32 Inches
My goal is to touch rim by September, and to just get into shape too. The stationary bicycling I'm doing is done at a 25km/h pace, and it's mostly for cardio since I play a lot of a minutes in a game.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: Tips/Pointers on my current program

Far be it from me to critique fully here, as you are only 13, so most anything needs to be done with full attention and purpose...but you need some back exericse in there, seems you are doing a lot of bodyweight stuff, so pullups would be great, how much do you weight?
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
theparade
I hit open layups

I'm 120 lbs, I do a lot of bodywork stuff since it's all I have access to at home. What excercises can I do at home that targets the back? I've limited down on the plyo's since I've heard all the stuff about stunting growth etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
ABPrints

Yeah, pretty tough to do back at home asides from bands. There si no place to put a pullup bar? How about a tree outside with a perfect branch? Otherwise, if there is a way to do inverted rows (lie on your back and row the body up) Such as under a high chair or something (be safe about it though).
Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
theparade
I hit open layups

I've done something before where you lie down on your front then dip down your upperbody in front and back up straight, then down again. Not sure about what that was called. I'm pretty sureI could do that at home.

Could you give me some recommendations on how to use the resistance band to work the back?

+ How is my program overall?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
ABPrints

Quote:
I've done something before where you lie down on your front then dip down your upperbody in front and back up straight, then down again. Not sure about what that was called. I'm pretty sureI could do that at home.

Sounds like Dips, those are a triceps/chest movement.

Quote:
Could you give me some recommendations on how to use the resistance band to work the back?

Stand facing the bands point of attachment, pull band towards side, squeeze the scapulae together, hold 3 seconds and release slowly.
Replace the biceps curls with these.
Quote:
+ How is my program overall?

As has been stated here many times, very hard to do so over the internet. Looks like a nice quick workout using what materials you have avaliable and within your knowledge base.

Maybe add as well glute bridges, or some sort of lower back low level exercise to even out the situps. You probably dont need the bike either, what is your overall goal? For your body composition (gain weight/muscle, maintain current weight?) how tall are you? OSunds like you are not that far form the rim currently.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
theparade
I hit open layups

I'm 5"7. I personally like the bike, cause it makes me sweat quite a bit and really works the legs. And with the exercise you are refering to, can you give me a name of the excersise or a vid? I'm not too sure what you mean.

And I'll add the Glute bridges too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24B9IRHZzTU like that right? Around how many rep's or set's would you recommend?

I guess my overall goal is to just touch rim, and be in shape.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
ABPrints

Yeah, those are the glute bridges, 15 to 20 should suffice. In the up position, hold it for about 3 seconds and squeeze the glutes.

Band rows here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKXQdUKzl6o

You can also do those one arm at a time.

And remember, there is no such thing as an aerobic base. AS a youth, you already possess a great capacity to recover from anaerobic work (sprint/basketball). You can use the bike, just work as hard as you can on it when you are on it.

The goal as a youth like you should be working fundamental basic movements...don't get so caught up in specialization.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Murdashow
I brick open layups

that's way too much working out for a 13 y/o. Only thing you should be doing is running your a$$ down back and forth down the court. When I was thirteen I hadn't even lifted weights at all. I first started when I was 14 and could barely do the bar, and only did that for a few weeks.
Murdashow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdashow
that's way too much working out for a 13 y/o. Only thing you should be doing is running your a$$ down back and forth down the court. When I was thirteen I hadn't even lifted weights at all. I first started when I was 14 and could barely do the bar, and only did that for a few weeks.

Too much? No where near too much. He is perfectly fine doing those things.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
theparade
I hit open layups

I'm simply going to be adding the Glute Bridges and Band rows, they There's no place at home to do the Inverted Rows. Thanks ABPrints for the great help.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
theparade
I hit open layups

I've decided that with all the free time I've got, I'm going to work out at the local community center. $130 a year, sounds very reasonable, so I'm going to give it a shot starting this summer.

I've got to do the orientations and lessons before I'm able to get into the training room and start, but I guess I have had some training on how to use the exercise room because of P.E. class.

Monday-Friday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6:00am-9:30pm
Saturday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7:00am-6:30pm
Sunday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9:00am-4:30pm

I'm stoked. Since my school is directly opposite of this community center, after school I could just go and workout. Or even before school.

Since I have all of this equipment available for me to access, I seriously shouldn't have an excuse for not being in my peak-form entering the basketball season in December.

So now my question is, since I already know what machine works what etc, should I do my repetitions fast, or slow and breathing slowly? If I do them fast should I still do them at the weight of how I would be doing them slow? I heard that doing repetitions fast will increase explosiveness for athletes. + I will still be doing some pylometrics along with the weight-lifting.

Available Equipment:
Circuit Set-up
Stair Climbers
Treadmills
Rowing Machine
Elliptical Trainers
Dumbbells (5-75lbs)
Upright & Recumbent Bikes
Single Station Weight Equipment
Free Weights w/ Squat Rack, Benches Large Stretching Area
Lat Pulldown
Calf Machine
Flat to Decline Bench
Body Balls, Dipping Belt, Ankle Weights
Medicine Balls, Balance Board, Wobble Boards
Wheelchair Access
T.V.s
Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
ABPrints

Well, hopefully you don'[t need the wheelchair.

Med Balls, Bench, calf machine, lat pulldown, free weights, airdyne bike, dumbells...focus on those.

The training specific questions you ask are mostly pertinent to the training cycle you are in.

Fast reps, slow reps, heavy weight, light weight, medium weight...etc.etc..yes, usually, USUALLY, fast reps will increase power production, BUT you can't do them all the time, and 'should' to do them (when talking weights) within recommended time frames during the year.

I think for you, you had a good basic plan laid out earlier in the thread...go from that and adjust it to the gym you joined.

And yes, BTW, 130 a year is very cheap.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
theparade
I hit open layups

Yeah, I guess I should just adapt the plan I had and go from that. So doing too many fast reps would be too stressful on the body? So maybe at a medium pace for all the time would work?

I've been doing some reading myself on the internet, and I've come to know that free weights, are much more effective in building strength and size of muscles because you are holding the weight, doing all the work.

I'm going to be focusing a lot on the upperbody, since all my power comes from the lower body. I want to be able to finish the And1's and be defined in the upper body.

Last edited by theparade : 04-04-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #15
ABPrints

Well, IMO, at least for here where I am, it is April and still early offseason/late post season (literally meaning playoffs have been over for a few weeks). And yes, I know there are AAU, summer leagues, camps, 'nonmadatory' practices, etc, etc...but to me it is stil recovery period. Just coming from active recovery to preparing for harding offseason weightlifting and basketball readiness.

Again though, you are 13 and recover quickly.

IMO, do what you feel comfortable with now, go in, get used to the enviroment, check out both the AM and PM crowds and see what you like best, maybe there is someone there willing to help you, maybe you can pick up a training partner (preferably someone closer to your age) to help with motivation and some partner work.

Just a caveat on the trainer thing, be sure they do not feed you bodybuilding stuff.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: