Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Avery Johnson is the right coach for Phoenix

Too many reasons why he's the right choice.

Avery will improve their defense and help them become more of a halfcourt team with Amare in the highpost and Shaq in the low post. The reason is Avery won a title with the Spurs whose success was based on their defense and Duncan's low post dominance so unlike D'Antoni Avery will encourage post play and defense.

Avery also gives them a coach who has been to the Finals.

He could also help Amare realize his defensive potential and unlike D'Antoni he will encourage him to maximize his potential in the post.

By getting to the Finals as a coach and winning the Finals as a player he demands respect. D'Antoni did neither of these.

Avery seems like he's the only available coach who could help the Suns win a title. I mean where else could they find a coach with a 194-70 coaching record who has been to the finals, coached a 67 win team and another 60 win team?
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Avery Johnson is the right coach for Phoenix

He had all the tools to run a Phoenix-like fast break with Kidd in Dallas, but that didn't turn out very well. Also doesn't have much experience coaching a dominant point guard. He seems to be used to coaching an isolation-based halfcourt offense.. something that Phoenix doesn't do much of.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

I think Phoenix in the Nash era is pretty much done. It's sad, but I think that's the reality of it. That trade for Shaq just ended this franchise's hopes for a title with Nash as the PG. Steve Kerr said he was either going to be a genius or an idiot for that trade. Well Mr. Kerr... you're an idiot. Steve Nash is 34, Shaq O'Neal is 36, Grant Hill is 35.

Sure this team has young guys (Tucker, Strawberry), but unless their youth have super sophomore years (or they get some young talent from somewhere else), this team is too old to contend.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
BballFan422
Decent playground baller

BballFan422 has an OK reputation so far

I think Avery would be a better fit for Detroit (if they decide to get rid of Flip).
BballFan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

It's Terry Porter or bust for me. I don't have much interest in Avery at this point.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

Cuban must be bad mouthing Avery behind closed doors because everyone is ignoring him. Avery Johnson contacted the Bulls multiple times but Paxson never returned his phone calls. Avery wanted to Coach Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls but Chicago wanted nothing to do with him. Why?

Steve Kerr (another Bull from the dynasty in the 90's running an NBA team) has been looking at coaches like Doug Collins and has been contacting them. Yet he hasn't tried to contact Avery Johnson. Why?

To us regular folk, Avery seems like the best coach on the market yet all the GM's are scared of him. Why? Is it because when he talks he sounds like one of those little people from the wizard of oz?

Last edited by JPR : 06-02-2008 at 12:54 PM.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
Cuban must be bad mouthing Avery behind closed doors because everyone is ignoring him. Avery Johnson contacted the Bulls multiple times but Paxson never returned his phone calls. Avery wanted to Coach Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls but Chicago wanted nothing to do with him. Why?

Steve Kerr (another Bull from the dynasty in the 90's running an NBA team) has been looking at coaches like Doug Collins and has been contacting them. Yet he hasn't tried to contact Avery Johnson. Why?

To us regular folk, Avery seems like the best coach on the market yet all the GM's are scared of him. Why? Is it because when he talks he sounds like one of those little people from the wizard of oz?
It does seem rather odd that more teams aren't making a play for Avery, even though the Bulls and Suns are the only teams with a vacancy.

I think he's a good coach, and he'll land somewhere soon, but I just don't like him for Phoenix. I would like to give a guy like Terry Porter another shot because he got jobbed in Milwaukee, and I think he's a good fit here.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

NO.
Here is the right coaching move... Jeff Van Gundy.
Now, I'm no fan of JVG, but I believe he would be perfect.
#1, he preaches defense.
#2, he knows how to utilize a legit center (Shaq), given experience with Ewing and Ming.
#3, he is now a veteran coach who Shaq & Nash will respect (unless Shaq gave his brother too much sh!t).
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
NO.
Here is the right coaching move... Jeff Van Gundy.
Now, I'm no fan of JVG, but I believe he would be perfect.
#1, he preaches defense.
#2, he knows how to utilize a legit center (Shaq), given experience with Ewing and Ming.
#3, he is now a veteran coach who Shaq & Nash will respect (unless Shaq gave his brother too much sh!t).
JVG would be terrible for the Suns IMO. Yes, he preaches defense, but you can't turn this team into a stellar defensive team. They just don't have the players. They can't just abandon their uptempo style all together. That's the type of team that has been built here. JVG teams walk the ball up the court every time down the court and run their half court offense. The Suns would crash and burn trying to pull that off. There needs to be a more balanced offense/defense next year. You can't go from one extreme to the other.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
JVG would be terrible for the Suns IMO. Yes, he preaches defense, but you can't turn this team into a stellar defensive team. They just don't have the players. They can't just abandon their uptempo style all together. That's the type of team that has been built here. JVG teams walk the ball up the court every time down the court and run their half court offense. The Suns would crash and burn trying to pull that off. There needs to be a more balanced offense/defense next year. You can't go from one extreme to the other.

well, imo, I dont think JVG has to be THAT extreme. Nash & Co. know when to take advantage of the break. The greater questions are, can they execute a half-court set with Shaq in the middle (I mean execute like a well-oiled machine)? Will they make a commitment to defend?

btw, imo, this is no longer the up-tempo Suns of 2 years ago. All the key players are getting older: Nash, Hill, Shaq, Bell. I'm not saying they can't run, but they are certainly older.

Last edited by bleedinpurpleTwo : 06-02-2008 at 01:33 PM.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
well, imo, I dont think JVG has to be THAT extreme. Nash & Co. know when to take advantage of the break. The greater questions are, can they execute a half-court set with Shaq in the middle (I mean execute like a well-oiled machine)? Will they make a commitment to defend?

btw, imo, this is no longer the up-tempo Suns of 2 years ago. All the key players are getting older: Nash, Hill, Shaq, Bell. I'm not saying they can't run, but they are certainly older.
JVG might not have to be that extreme, but he is. That's just the way he coaches. Slow, methodical half court offense with a major emphasis on defense. That won't work here. When you take away Nash's ability be creative and use his vision on the offensive end of the floor, you cripple him. Since he is the major motor that makes the team run, I don't think it's a good idea to take that away.

Sure, they're getting older, but this team won't be successful playing a slow it down tempo most of the game. That's not how they're built. I think they need to be be more balanced however on offense between being able to run and being able to run a half court set effectively, and more time should be spent on the defensive gameplan.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

That Garnett for Amare trade would have looked very good right now. Garnett, Marion & Nash would > Shaq, Amare and Nash.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

I like Van Gundy for Phoenix. I forgot about him Shaq is a pretty good defender and Amare sure as hell has the potential to be a great defender so he could get Amare to that next level as far as defense. Of course you got Raja Bell too and Grant Hill isn't a bad defender.

As for the Shaq trade well they weren't going to win a title with Marion. It just wasn't going to happen. Now Amare is back at his natural position and atleast they have some hope of being a good defensive team.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
Darius07
High School JV MVP

Darius07 has decent reputationDarius07 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
That Garnett for Amare trade would have looked very good right now. Garnett, Marion & Nash would > Shaq, Amare and Nash.
I'm not to sure i would take that rade even now. Amare still has a lot of good years left in him to improve. He will be our franchise player. We just need to surround him with some young talent.
Darius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
Darius07
High School JV MVP

Darius07 has decent reputationDarius07 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I like Van Gundy for Phoenix. I forgot about him Shaq is a pretty good defender and Amare sure as hell has the potential to be a great defender so he could get Amare to that next level as far as defense. Of course you got Raja Bell too and Grant Hill isn't a bad defender.

As for the Shaq trade well they weren't going to win a title with Marion. It just wasn't going to happen. Now Amare is back at his natural position and atleast they have some hope of being a good defensive team.
There is the possibility that JVG dosn't wany to coach Shaq. Thats the reason some coaches have been turned off by this team. They just don't want to deal with him.
Darius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: