Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #46
hon
DURAS

Default Re: Are there any two players in the NBA that legitimately don't like each other?

hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Are there any two players in the NBA that legitimately don't like each other?

Granger and Lebron have a legitimate off the court dislike for one another
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #48
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

Artest and Ibaka always seem to scrap.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #49
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Delonte West and Lebron

Daniel Gibson and Lebron
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
Legends66NBA7
Apex

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba...224347877.html

Quote:
Many NBA fans lament the current state of basketball rivalries, in which teams might hold some animosity towards each other on the court but generally get along off it. With players having faced off since their AAU careers began and the high amount of roster turnover in the league, it's simply not in everyone's interest to play with hate. If these players haven't played together in the past, they might in the future.

Sometimes, though, a negative relationship does develop over time. Usually, it's between two players who've spent a long time playing each other in big games. And it turns out that longtime Spurs star Tim Duncan and adversary Kevin Garnett make up one of those duos. From a must-read Sports Illustrated profile on Tim Duncan by Chris Ballard (via SLAM):

"In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44-17 record, including the postseason.

Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship."

Knowing Garnett's on-court personality, I'd guess that he doesn't quite see his relationship with Duncan as particularly combative — this is just how Garnett approaches playing basketball against anyone. And while Duncan is obviously a competitive guy, he also looks at the sport as a craft to be mastered rather than a battleground of psychological warfare. It's important, but it doesn't have to be personal.

On the other hand, this rivalry has probably helped both players more than two people who hate each other might be willing to admit. That's true in the sense that rivalries often bring out the best in the participants, but also in that the players are so different that watching them against each other helps emphasize what makes them so special. Duncan, though prone to reacting incredulously to foul calls, is a calm professional, the sort of player who goes about his job and performs it with few frills. Garnett is the most intense player of his generation, the sort of guy who screams and talks trash as if they sustain him physically. The contrast is fascinating.

If Chris Bosh can't recover from injury to help the Heat and the Spurs continue to look like a great team, we might even see Garnett and Duncan play each other in this June's NBA Finals. Their hatred might play out, but the positives of watching them battle in the post would be apparent, too. Even when hate is present, there's plenty for fans to cheer.

I still want a potential NBA Finals to happen vs their respective teams (but that's unlikely, at this point in time).
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #51
EoJ

Brandon Roy and LMA were not friends and did not really like each other.
EoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #52
KobesFinger
Laker Gang

I came to post KG and Duncan. I read somewhere that KG said "Happy Mother's Day" to Timmy during a game, knowing that his mom died when he was 14.
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #53
scm5
Good college starter

Kobe and Ray Allen.

They have respect for each other, but they don't like each other.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #54
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger
I came to post KG and Duncan. I read somewhere that KG said "Happy Mother's Day" to Timmy during a game, knowing that his mom died when he was 14.
Damn...
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #55
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
fckin asshole, that is going too far...
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #56
hitmanyr2k
Complete Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba...224347877.html

I still want a potential NBA Finals to happen vs their respective teams (but that's unlikely, at this point in time).

Reminds me of one of my favorite Ron Artest quotes...

"I remember one time Kevin Garnett was mushing him, and shoving him in the face; and Tim Duncan didnít do anything, he didnít react. He just kicked Kevin Garnettís ass, and won the damn championship. You know what Iím sayiní? Thatís gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky; but Tim Duncan is a Ö heís a pimp."
hitmanyr2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #57
Kews1
BostonCeltics

Quote:

Thats a low blow, but until there's proof i dont believe it
Kews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #58
KobesFinger
Laker Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kews1
Thats a low blow, but until there's proof i dont believe it

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/why-...-kevin-garnett

"NOTE: This is an unsubstantiated rumor and should be treated as such.

The story goes that on May 9, 1999 (Mother's Day), Tim Duncan's Spurs played Kevin Garnett's Timberwolves in the first round of the NBA playoffs. During that game, Garnett, who is known for his incessant need to trash talk and intense dislike for any sort of decency did what he does best. He went too far.

Just as Tim Duncan was going to take two free throws, Garnett barked at him:

"Happy Mother's Day, mother****er"

Tim Duncan's mother famously died of breast cancer the day before his 14th birthday.

If that's true, Kevin Garnett is an evil dude."
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: