Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
Snoopy
I brick open layups

Snoopy has an OK reputation so far

yeh i kno but we cant let him want to leave haha, i agree he needs to be our starting two, so we trade wally and have allen off the bench in a sixth man role, sounds good
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
5ggreen5
I Hit Open Layups

5ggreen5 has an OK reputation so far
Default um

if we get iverson thea is a small chance we can keep him but there is no way that we can start green srry
5ggreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 AM   #18
Snoopy
I brick open layups

aaaaaaa how is he ever gonna become good if he only gets garbage minutes, people talk about him being the future when he doesnt even get to play? his defence will improve with time, hes athletic enough and long enough to be good at it, thats why i hate the trade, i dont wanna see him turn into t-mac somewhere else like the raptors did, plus no way he goes to philly given they stacked at wing, (carney, iggy, thabo, salmons, korver)
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
CVMerlot954
Can barely lace up my sneakers

CVMerlot954 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Gerard Green is Gonna be T-mac and then some.

I don't wanna sound like a hata, but I don't think GG is gonna be better than T-Mac. T-Mac had a better rookie season, and more PT because he played better defense as a rookie compared to GG. But he does have the tools to be a great offensive player. But his defense will determine how much PT he gets this upcoming season. And because of his last name, I don't foresee the Celtics ever letting him go or leave. I can imagine a few years from now, how the Celtic fans gonna have signs at game's using his name. In fact, that sounds like a new thread to me,.. *lol*
CVMerlot954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:39 AM   #20
Snoopy
I brick open layups

thats true that t-mac had a better rookie season and was a better defensive player coming into the league, but the question is whether green has higher upside than mcgrady and whether the c's can nuture his talent into the point where he becomes an all-star player in the league, personally i think with a little bit more experience he will become a mcgrady-esque player
Old 07-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #21
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

Celts34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVMerlot954
T-Mac had a better rookie season, and more PT because he played better defense as a rookie compared to GG.

I love how you just make things up. First off T-mac had a better statistical rookie season because he actually got to play, and the reason he got to play was because the Raptors were absolutely horrible. And even with all that said most people in TO, thought he was a bust. It wasn't until the 99-00 season that he started to slowly win some people over. I think that Gerald proved that when he played he could score, I have no doubt that if he had been in a similair situation he would've averaged 11/5/2.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #22
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Gerald Green will become nowhere close to what Tracy McGrady is or was in his prime. Nowhere close. He might get on a prime Jerry Stackhouse level, at best. And that isn't bad at all.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #23
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How do you know that? We can't assume greatness but saying he'll be around Stack's level (who was just an inefficient chucker, Detroit improved by bringing in Rip) isn't any more reasonable.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
How do you know that? We can't assume greatness but saying he'll be around Stack's level (who was just an inefficient chucker, Detroit improved by bringing in Rip) isn't any more reasonable.
He strikes me as the same type of player that Stack is. Offensive-minded, likes to score. That is just the comparison that always jumps into my brain.

And none of know anything. But people are just comparing him to T-Mac because that is what the draft sites and people like Chad Ford were saying. I don't think he is nearly as gifted as Tracy and if he were, he wouldn't have been playing in the NBDL. Especially on a team that didn't make the playoffs.

I don't know why you think Jerry Stackhouse in his prime wasn't a good player. He was. 20 PPG scorer for a few, I think.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #25
Snoopy
I brick open layups

who doesnt like to score? green is more athletic than stack was at any point in his career and yeh i recognise that stack was a pretty good player during his heyday, the comparisions to t-mac were inevitable due to his size, athleticism and shot, but he has more potential than u give him credit for, a lot of c's fans dont want him starting right now because of his defense and fair enough, but he will end up being a better player than u think
Old 07-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #26
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
He strikes me as the same type of player that Stack is. Offensive-minded, likes to score. That is just the comparison that always jumps into my brain.

And none of know anything. But people are just comparing him to T-Mac because that is what the draft sites and people like Chad Ford were saying. I don't think he is nearly as gifted as Tracy and if he were, he wouldn't have been playing in the NBDL. Especially on a team that didn't make the playoffs.

I don't know why you think Jerry Stackhouse in his prime wasn't a good player. He was. 20 PPG scorer for a few, I think.
He's 3 inches taller than Stack, has more jumping ability, and isn't as fast. A different type of athlete. Stack averaged 20+ a few times but he was shooting 40% to do it. Not good, in reality. He's compared to T-Mac because he's built like young T-Mac, has three-point range, and is a similar athlete to young T-Mac. His dribbling and d aren't up to par with young McGrady (although the handle isn't bad) but he has some similarities, which is why the comparison was made by almost every site and analyst that reviewed him (not just Chad Ford). How bad the team is doesn't matter when he's behind the team's two best players most of the season. Young T-Mac wouldn't have played much here either with Paul Pierce and Ricky/Wally hording minutes as starters. When Wally and P shut it down for the season, though, he showed that he could at least score, averaging 15 over the last few games.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #27
fatboy11

Okay, guys. Having a body like someone doesn't mean you should be compared to that player.

It's like Yao and Shawn Bradley. People said Yao would be like Shawn Bradley because they had somewhat similar body types.

So if we come across a player who happens to be 6'7-6'8 1/2, can shoot the 3, and is pretty athletic = Tracy McGrady?

I don't see it. Gerald Green can score, but the thing that makes McGrady so great was that he was born to score. I don't see that in Gerald Green. Tracy McGrady is the most naturally talented offensive player in the NBA today. The guy can go without any warm-up shots and hit his first 7 or so shots and not break a damn sweat.

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds here, but that is what you guys are expecting.............you're gonna be let down.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #28
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

They're similar in not just build, but also athleticism and shooting ability. He even intentionally patterned his game after T-Mac. And that makes for better reason for comparison than what he has in common with Stack, which is...little. I'm not saying he's a lock to be McGrady, but he's in a similar mold.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #29
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Hopefully in the future, people won't be saying, "Green was a poor man's T-Mac or a Stackhouse wannabe." Hopefully people will see a young new star and say, "this guy could be the next Gerald Green..."
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #30
Snoopy
I brick open layups

the question some people are asking is...is green even better than people like carney, williams, gay and other young swingmen in the league, they're all athletic and good scorers, what seperates them from one another?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: