Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #31
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!
 
Celts34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Streets of Rage
Posts: 747
Celts34 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Okay, guys. Having a body like someone doesn't mean you should be compared to that player.

It's like Yao and Shawn Bradley. People said Yao would be like Shawn Bradley because they had somewhat similar body types.

So if we come across a player who happens to be 6'7-6'8 1/2, can shoot the 3, and is pretty athletic = Tracy McGrady?

I don't see it. Gerald Green can score, but the thing that makes McGrady so great was that he was born to score. I don't see that in Gerald Green. Tracy McGrady is the most naturally talented offensive player in the NBA today. The guy can go without any warm-up shots and hit his first 7 or so shots and not break a damn sweat.

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds here, but that is what you guys are expecting.............you're gonna be let down.


Fatboy get real, I don't think you were thinking how T-mac was born to score when he was playing 20 minutes a game as rookie and averaging 7 points, or when he was a sophomore and averaging 9 points. Back then Tracy Mcgrady was considered a bust with a capital B. Coincidentally it wasn't until VC showed and the spotlight went off of him, that he began to fulfill his potential. Your comparing Gerald Green with present day T-mac(the perennial 25+ points a season T-mac), and of course that is outrageously dumb. However at similiar points in their careers the comparison is valid. Whether you like it or not, Gerald can do more then just shoot 3's and dunk. He's already got a better then average mid-range jumper as well. And best believe that if it existed back then T-mac would have found himself playing in the NBDL too.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #32
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celts34
Fatboy get real, I don't think you were thinking how T-mac was born to score when he was playing 20 minutes a game as rookie and averaging 7 points, or when he was a sophomore and averaging 9 points. Back then Tracy Mcgrady was considered a bust with a capital B. Coincidentally it wasn't until VC showed and the spotlight went off of him, that he began to fulfill his potential. Your comparing Gerald Green with present day T-mac(the perennial 25+ points a season T-mac), and of course that is outrageously dumb. However at similiar points in their careers the comparison is valid. Whether you like it or not, Gerald can do more then just shoot 3's and dunk. He's already got a better then average mid-range jumper as well. And best believe that if it existed back then T-mac would have found himself playing in the NBDL too.
Tracy McGrady has ALWAYS had that natural ability to score. Always. And that comes from people who have been watching him play basketball longer than either one of us.

You know what I hate? When people say stuff like "I bet you weren't thinking this when so and so was doing this back when he was a rookie". Shut up. What does that have to do with this discussion?

I'm comparing Gerald Green as a rookie to T-Mac as a rookie. I just don't think they are the same type of player. I think Tracy is a much smarter and talented player than Gerald Green. That is just the way I see it. I've already said that I'm not here to change your opinions, but it seems like some of you are trying to change mine. It ain't gonna work.

And I can't recall Tracy McGrady EVER being called a bust. And if Toronto didn't send Rafeal Araujo to the NBDL, they wouldn't have sent McGrady. That is fact.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #33
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,245
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Toronto is under different management now than they were then, and they're pathetic at center. Araujo was a part-time starter for them, so how can he go to the NBDL? And FYI, T-Mac's first NBA coach, Darrell Walker, told him he'd be out of the NBA in 2 seasons. Said he was "too cool" to work hard.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #34
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Toronto is under different management now than they were then, and they're pathetic at center. Araujo was a part-time starter for them, so how can he go to the NBDL? And FYI, T-Mac's first NBA coach, Darrell Walker, told him he'd be out of the NBA in 2 seasons. Said he was "too cool" to work hard.
Darrell Walker?

That dude is a chump. He's lucky he's friends with so many old NBA guys that keep giving him coaching jobs.

In a way, Tracy is "too cool" to work hard because things come so naturally to him. Not making excuses for his work ethic, but not too many people are that naturally talented.

If you guys are telling me that you expect Gerald Green to come close to what McGrady is, you're going to be waiting for a long time. I'm telling you, remember Jerry Stackhouse in his prime. I think Gerald will be on the that level except a better shooter.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #35
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,245
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

No one's saying that Walker has brains, just pointing out the fact that T-Mac did not show much as a rookie and had doubters. You're acting like he came into the league and everyone saw that he'd become a top ten player. Nonsense. In reality he was an unimpressive rookie. I'm not telling you that Gerald will be T-Mac, I'm telling you that he has far more similarities to McGrady than Stack, and he does. What's the basis for comparing him to Stackhouse? Different heights, different builds, G's also a higher leaper. I could see a doubter comparing him to Tim Thomas but if you want to evoke comparisons make one that fits his characteristics.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

I try not to compare players based on similarities such as height and build. They are similar there, of course.

I just think Gerald will have a Jerry Stackhouse-type, slash to the basket game. Of course, I also think he'll be a better shooter. I guess I just can't get past Stackhouse since that's who I've been comparing him to for awhile now.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #37
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!
 
Celts34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Streets of Rage
Posts: 747
Celts34 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
You know what I hate? When people say stuff like "I bet you weren't thinking this when so and so was doing this back when he was a rookie". Shut up. What does that have to do with this discussion?

I'm comparing Gerald Green as a rookie to T-Mac as a rookie. I just don't think they are the same type of player. I think Tracy is a much smarter and talented player than Gerald Green. That is just the way I see it. I've already said that I'm not here to change your opinions, but it seems like some of you are trying to change mine. It ain't gonna work.



I said that because its true. As much as you say your comparing the two as rookies, it obvious that your not. Because Tracy McGrady as a rookie was no more talented or smarter then Gerald Green, there is no evidence to support this claim either visual or statistical. I love the revisionist history that is going on here. T-mac looked awful his 1st two seasons in the league, there is no way about it. Just because you don't recall him being called a bust, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You seem to be the only one who has his boxers in a bunch about people comparing the two players. When noone is saying that Gerald is going to be T-mac. Only that his game, as well as his height, build, and athletic ability are very similiar. Doc Rivers, a guy who coached T-mac for 3 and 1/2 years has said the very same thing.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #38
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

A 19/20 year old in their second NBA season, out of high school, who averages 9 PPG, nearly 6 RPG, 1 SPG, and like 1.3 BPG (as a swingman, I might add) is awful?

You are honestly telling me that Tracy McGrady was awful in his first two seasons when players today that come from HS could only dream about playing as well as he did? And you expect me to take you seriously? Al Jefferson, Telfair, Gerald Green, etc. (not just naming Celtic guys, you know that rest) didn't play as well as T-Mac did in his first two season. They just didn't. But T-Mac was awful?

I was all for agreeing to disagree with you until I read that rubbish.

Quote:
Tracy McGrady as a rookie was no more talented or smarter then Gerald Green
It is clear to me that McGrady clearly had a better grasp on the game at a similar age.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 AM   #39
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,245
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I guess I just can't get past Stackhouse since that's who I've been comparing him to for awhile now.
I don't know why, it doesn't make any sense.
Quote:
Al Jefferson, Telfair, Gerald Green, etc. (not just naming Celtic guys, you know that rest) didn't play as well as T-Mac did in his first two season.
Al's stats through two years are actually very close.
Quote:
It is clear to me that McGrady clearly had a better grasp on the game at a similar age.
I gotta call bull**** on this one. You're telling us that 8 years ago you watched the garbage Raptors, who never made national tv, regularly? At the age of 15 you were hunting down Raptors footage, one of the worst teams in the league wearing those ridiculous jerseys, so that you could check T-Mac getting 7 and 4 in his 18 minutes per game. Yeah...uh-huh. Tell me another.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #40
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

Quote:
I gotta call bull**** on this one. You're telling us that 8 years ago you watched the garbage Raptors, who never made national tv, regularly? At the age of 15 you were hunting down Raptors footage, one of the worst teams in the league wearing those ridiculous jerseys, so that you could check T-Mac getting 7 and 4 in his 18 minutes per game. Yeah...uh-huh. Tell me another.
I was the very first person to have League Pass.

Okay.........you got me. I'm sure he did though.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 AM   #41
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!
 
Celts34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Streets of Rage
Posts: 747
Celts34 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
A 19/20 year old in their second NBA season, out of high school, who averages 9 PPG, nearly 6 RPG, 1 SPG, and like 1.3 BPG (as a swingman, I might add) is awful?

You are honestly telling me that Tracy McGrady was awful in his first two seasons when players today that come from HS could only dream about playing as well as he did? And you expect me to take you seriously? Al Jefferson, Telfair, Gerald Green, etc. (not just naming Celtic guys, you know that rest) didn't play as well as T-Mac did in his first two season. They just didn't. But T-Mac was awful?

I was all for agreeing to disagree with you until I read that rubbish.

It is clear to me that McGrady clearly had a better grasp on the game at a similar age.


Awful may have been a tad a strong. How about umimpressive, is that better. I'm not trying to change your mind, my only problem with you is that you make it out like he was Lebron, when he wasn't even as good as Kobe was in his 1st two seasons. And that in of itself is a huge reason why T-mac was labeled a bust. Because back then when comparing his sophomore season both with Kobe' and KG', he was clearly at that time inferior.

And I really didn't want to take it here, but here you go.
Al Jefferson as a sophomre- playing 18 minutes a game averaged 8pts 5 board
Telfair as a sophomre-playing 24 minutes averaged 10, 4 assists
Gerald didn't get consistent minutes until the last month of the season but in April he played about 24 minutes and averaged 13pts,2 assists, and 2 rebounds. T-mac' numbers are not exactly blowing any of them away.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #42
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,963
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

Quote:
And I really didn't want to take it here, but here you go.
Al Jefferson as a sophomre- playing 18 minutes a game averaged 8pts 5 board
Telfair as a sophomre-playing 24 minutes averaged 10, 4 assists
Gerald didn't get consistent minutes until the last month of the season but in April he played about 24 minutes and averaged 13pts,2 assists, and 2 rebounds. T-mac' numbers are not exactly blowing any of them away.
In just under 23 minutes a game as a sophomore, starting only 2 games, Tracy averaged 9 points, nearly 6 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal and almost a block and half a game.

Now, I'll go ahead and say it for you: It was the lockout year. He played only 49 games.

I think that balanced stat lines shows where his development was, though.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:48 AM   #43
Snoopy
I brick open layups
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 144
Snoopy has an OK reputation so far
Default

pretty entertaining fellas
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #44
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,193
JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here
Default

I dont know if Green will be as good as TMac but for now the Tmac comparison is workable, much better than Stackhouse. Green is almost as tall as TMac, lanky, very athletic, can score, great oustside shot, awesome dunker. Sounds like Tamc to me. Stack is a bit shorter, more squarely built, less athletic.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #45
Snoopy
I brick open layups
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 144
Snoopy has an OK reputation so far
Default

yeh green's game will evolve into being more t-mac-esque, has stack ever been much of a dunker?
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy