Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: best college team ever for single season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Meh, I read too fast misread "UCLA" for "UNLV." Oh well.

If a simple error like that is the most egregious error I make in reading comprehension (and that isn't what "reading comprehension" really means, anyway, but whatever), I'm doing pretty well, I'd say.

Maybe proofread before being condescending?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Maybe. But proofreading is what copy editors are for. I suck at it.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
You have to look at things within the context of their times. Sure, teams today would kick the ass of teams from the past. The game has evolved and so have the athletes. For that matter, a middle-of-the-road team from today could probably beat that 1954 Kentucky team handily.

But you have to look at what they accomplished in their era. In the context of their time. That isn't "overthinking."

If the list is called "greatest college team according to college era" then I would agree with you.

However, I think this is "greatest college team for a sinlge season", therefore their list sucks.

Regardless of era I would put the '83 Houston team up against any team today and that was 25 years ago.

When you put 1954 Kentucky, you're overthinking it.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Regardless of era I would put the '83 Houston team up against any team today and that was 25 years ago.
I don't think the game has evolved athletically a great deal from the 1980s. From the 50's to the 80's, yes, it absolutely did for any number of reasons. So comparing 1983 to 2008 isn't the same as comparing 1954 to 1983.

And still, if you're talking about best teams for a single season, you still have to take those teams in the context of their time. Just because the game evolved doesn't mean we forget about what happened, it doesn't mean we minimalize the past.

Things don't happen in vacuum. If every possible thing surrounding the '83 Houston team and that '54 Kentucky team was equal, then sure. You can say the '83 Houston team would kill the '54 Kentucky team, and the discussion would be over.

But as the game has evolved, so have training methods. So have coaching methods. So has the sheer amount of basketball kids play today before they hit college, compared with 50 years ago. So have the facilities. So has travel. And so on. All these things that players in 1954 didn't have as the game has evolved.

That's why you absolutely have to take things into context of its time and you can't automatically dismiss a team from a bygone generation. And for the record, I'm not necessarily agreeing with the inclusion of the '54 Wildcats on this list. I don't think it's right to do that without doing even a little bit of research on the particular team, which I haven't done. You seem pretty sure of yourself, so I'd hope this is research you've done.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

6. 1982 UNC Tar Heels (32-2)
James Worthy. Michael Jordan. Sam Perkins. Any questions?
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #21
joeandspiro
Saw a basketball once

In the directions to the game, it actually says that the stats for the old teams had to be adjusted because shooting percentages have improved by 15percent or something. However, relative to the teams they played at the time, those old teams dominated to an extent few modern teams have been able to.

Personally, I think that some of the teams from the 1980s, before players left for the pros after high school or one year of college, might be better than today's teams, but 1954 Kentucky would definitely get trounced.
joeandspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
joeandspiro
Saw a basketball once

Here's what wikipedia said about the pro careers of the two best players on the 1954 Kentucky team (a college team with two pro players of this caliber would be pretty good today):

After playing his rookie season with the Celtics (1954–1955), Ramsey spent one year in the military before rejoining the team. In the eight seasons he played after military service, he was a member of seven championship teams (1957, 1959-1964). He was a major contributor of the Celtics dynasty, playing behind the future Hall-of-Fame duo of Bob Cousy and Bill Sharman and playing with five other future Hall-of-Famers—Bill Russell, Sam Jones, K. C. Jones, Tom Heinsohn and John Havlicek. In his 623 NBA games Ramsey scored 8378 points for an average of 13.4 points per game. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1981. His #23 is retired by the Celtics.

Ramsey's best statistical season was 1958; he averaged 16.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. It was also his only post-military season in which the Celtics did not win the NBA championship; the Bob Pettit-led St. Louis Hawks (which also featured Cliff Hagan, Ramsey's ex-college teammate) defeated them in the NBA Finals.

Upon graduation, Hagan, like Ramsey before him, was drafted by the Celtics. Unlike Ramsey, however, Hagan served in the military for two years after being drafted (Ramsey had served in the military for one year after his rookie season). In both of his years in the military (1954 and 1955), Hagan, stationed at Andrews Air Force Base, won Worldwide Air Force basketball championships. After his military service, Hagan and Ed Macauley were traded to the St. Louis Hawks for the draft rights to Bill Russell. In 1958, his second season in the NBA, the Hawks, led by Hagan and Bob Pettit, won the NBA championship (one of the five Western Conference titles the Hawks won during his tenure with them), defeating the Boston Celtics 4 games to 2 in the NBA Finals. Hagan was named to play in five consecutive NBA All-Star Games from 1958 to 1962 (an injury forced him to miss the 1958 classic). In his 10 NBA seasons, Hagan played 745 games and scored 13,447 points for an 18.0 average.

In 1967, the Dallas Chaparrals of the newly-formed ABA hired Hagan as a player-coach. He scored 40 points in his team’s very first game. He also played in the very first ABA All-Star Game that season, becoming the first player to play in All-Star Games in both the NBA and ABA. He retired as a player after playing three games during the 1969-1970 season and remained as Chaparral coach until midway into the season. Hagan played in 94 ABA games and scored 1423 points for a 15.1 average. Hagan was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1978, the first ex-University of Kentucky player to be so honored.
joeandspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #23
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

i'm afraid to say that easily in the top 10 of the most talented would include the fab five
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #24
Chicago76
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
i'm afraid to say that easily in the top 10 of the most talented would include the fab five

In terms of talent, I wouldn't disagree with you. The thing is, they never even won a Big Ten title, let alone an NCAA championship. In the two years that Webber was there, they went either 1-3 or 0-4 against Indiana, who won BT Webber's soph year. OSU won his freshman year.

This is a little off-topic, but to me, college ball hit its pinnacle in the early 90s pre-players leaving early. Duke's second title team was phenomenal, but when you consider how they had to scrape to win that title vs. Kentucky, and Indiana, and you throw in some really good UCLA, Kanasas, Michigan, and OSU teams...it was a great time for college ball.

FWIW - Indiana's 1975 team with Steve Green was better than the 76 team. If Scott May doesn't break his arm, they beat Kentucky in the regional finals and own UCLA. It wasn't a coincidence that Wooden retired after 1975, because he knew what was coming the next year.

Last edited by Chicago76 : 04-12-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Chicago76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I'm not even sure I'd put the Fab Five in the top 10 purely on talent. They had three tremendous players that all became very good pros. But the other two starters, King and Jackson, were purely role players (Jackson moreso than King). And the bench was very thin with no real difference-maker.

Not saying I wouldn't, because they're definitely in the mix, but without examining it more closely I don't believe it's automatic.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: