Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Default Re: Will lakers extend Odom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
I think Odom will have break out year over there!! Move Odom to a team like Chicago New York The Nets or Washington!!! Odom will average 20+ Pt's 10+ reb's 6-8 assists!!!

I do think a-lot of Odom just not sure on this team, even thou he has played great the last few games, he's too inconsistent but ya da play-off will determine his future!!!! But not what most think!!! If he prove him-self in da play-off!!! Even when we win it all!!!! That's da time to trade, when his value is at his peak!!! Time &Time again we see players step up during contract year!!!!! Is Odom worth da same value as Gasol!! They get paid the same!! And I still believe Odom will be demanding more money!!!!

Also I like to day dream of the rare possibilities that we can trade for Gilbert and sign Artest for Mid-level or something!!!
No he wouldn't, he's too inconsistent....

The only reason why he's playing the way he's playing is because of Kobe and Gasol, and prior to Gasol coming here, Bynum. If he moves to Chicago or New York he's certainly going to be 2nd option, and we all know how he performs under that position.

If we keep LO, great, if we can't, I wouldn't cry because his recent performance spurt < His 4 lackluster seasons as of right now.

Last edited by Fedor - Laker : 04-04-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
There you guys go again... "AgentZero" is your player now... fill out the lineup card without even thinking if he would fit into the Lakers system with the personnel they have... personally, for the Lakers needs, Arenas is NOT the answer. If ANYTHING, they need to go after a true 3 more than anything... that is if they decide that LO is not the right fit (which I find hard to believe).

Personally, I think they will be able to get LO for a bargain price as he wants to retire in LA and he knows his current market value is more in the $6-$9M range.

Thank you. If we get Butler then that's different. I'd rather develop Ariza than acquire Arenas. I don't want him in my life.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
Thank you. If we get Butler then that's different. I'd rather develop Ariza than acquire Arenas. I don't want him in my life.

Would you just let odom expire then?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
depends on how he's playing next year and how the lakers are situated in the standings...
if he's playing well and the lakers are at or near the top you can't trade him in the middle of a season when your going for a ring you extend the contract or let the contract expire and hope you can renegotiate for less...

all these trade talks are over now, we got the big move and the lakers are way over the cap, lakers have a core group of really good talent...

any players moved now or signed on will be the bottom of the roster and the only free agents you can expect to see will be and MLE or bi annual exception for the next few years....
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

I hope we can keep Odom.

Lamar could be a BEAST along side Kobe Gasol and Bynum.

Like they say any team with Lamar as your 4th best player (compared as your second) is a damn good team.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #21
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

It will all depend on the coming playoffs and probably the first 20 games of next season. Assuming he doesn't get traded in the summer or something.
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #22
MBC2K4
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Why would you guys want Arenas on our team? He has to dominate the ball to be effective in games and you can't have he and Kobe in the same lineup, period.

The Lakers would be foolish to let Odom go. You know you're going to get 14-20 points and 9-13 rebounds out of him pretty much every single night. The guy is a great ballhandler & passer period, let alone for a guy who is 6'10". Next year a frontline of Odom at SF, Gasol at PF, and Bynum at C would be the toughest in the league. We'd have three guys capable of averaging a double-double and we'd have great interior length defensively at 6'10", 7', and 7'.

Odom already puts up pretty good numbers as it is for being an undersized PF, imagine what he'd do to guys 6'7" and 6'8". Shawn Marion is no scrub on defense by any stretch of the imagination, and Odom played very, very well the past two years against him in the playoffs. He averaged over 19 & 12 and shot almost 50% from the floor, and the guys Odom would be matched up with at SF would all be Marion's size but nowhere near as athletic or gifted defensively on most nights.
MBC2K4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #23
MBC2K4
Can barely lace up my sneakers

And, I forgot to mention, he is in a role right now that is perfect and ideal for him with this Laker team. He no longer has to worry about the pressure of being Kobe's #2 sidekick now that Pau has been firmly established in that role. Odom likes to fly under the radar & do his thing, it's just his mindset, and he can do that with the Lakers now because we have enough talent and depth on the team for him to be able to do that.
MBC2K4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #24
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

The problem is you can't have your 3-4th offensive weapon earning 15M a year. How you will pay Kobe, Pau, Odom and Bynum when he demands 10-12M? It would be so, so difficult.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

No. I meant I didn't want Arenas. I want Lamar for cheap, he wants to retire a laker so we pounce on that fact. Sign that pothead for a couple of mil and win a few more chips.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #26
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
The problem is you can't have your 3-4th offensive weapon earning 15M a year. How you will pay Kobe, Pau, Odom and Bynum when he demands 10-12M? It would be so, so difficult.

because of the bird rule they actual can get everyone signed, but they would be paying monster lux tax.

Odom and Bynum would both fall under the bird rule and can be paid up to the max salary even if the Lakers are over the cap.

As far as Odoms future, I'm going to take a wait and see approach and see what happens in the playoffs. I'd like to see the front line of Pau/Bynum/Odom play together.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #27
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
because of the bird rule they actual can get everyone signed, but they would be paying monster lux tax.

Odom and Bynum would both fall under the bird rule and can be paid up to the max salary even if the Lakers are over the cap.

As far as Odoms future, I'm going to take a wait and see approach and see what happens in the playoffs. I'd like to see the front line of Pau/Bynum/Odom play together.

I agree that we should wait for the playoffs and see how Odom performs. Hell, wait until February of next season at the last week before deadline before considering trading off Odom and see how he performs by then.

If I was Kobe, I would opt-out and re-sign with Lakers with a paycut from 20 million down to 16 million and the extra 4 million can go to pay for Bynum. I mean Kobe already made MOST of his money in the last 11 seasons. What difference will 4-5 million make to him now? Doesn't he want to keep his good team and win? If Kobe takes another max extension and Lakers are forced to trade off Odom to keep the luxury cap as low as possible, I am going to lose some respect for Kobe.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBC2K4
Why would you guys want Arenas on our team? He has to dominate the ball to be effective in games and you can't have he and Kobe in the same lineup, period.

The Lakers would be foolish to let Odom go. You know you're going to get 14-20 points and 9-13 rebounds out of him pretty much every single night. The guy is a great ballhandler & passer period, let alone for a guy who is 6'10". Next year a frontline of Odom at SF, Gasol at PF, and Bynum at C would be the toughest in the league. We'd have three guys capable of averaging a double-double and we'd have great interior length defensively at 6'10", 7', and 7'.

Odom already puts up pretty good numbers as it is for being an undersized PF, imagine what he'd do to guys 6'7" and 6'8". Shawn Marion is no scrub on defense by any stretch of the imagination, and Odom played very, very well the past two years against him in the playoffs. He averaged over 19 & 12 and shot almost 50% from the floor, and the guys Odom would be matched up with at SF would all be Marion's size but nowhere near as athletic or gifted defensively on most nights.

you need to watch more games when Odom was the 2nd option on our team..I would trade Odom for Butler any day....

you have to understand what we need from the SF position...shoot the outside shot....hit the jumpers and be a Defensive presence.....and all these 3 points are not Lamar's forte by any means.....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

depending on how he adapts to his new position, I would offer him a fresh contract at around $10m per.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #30
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

After tonight i say of course they'll resign him if he keep doing what he did tonight when bynum comes back he'll get a long term contract no question.
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: