Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Default Javale McGee - Steal or bust ?

So he's announced that he is entering the draft after his sophmore year, and given that he's an athletic 7-footer who produced nicely in college it would seem he's going in the 1st round, the question is where though ? Draftexpress.com has him at #18, and nbadraft.net has him at #11.

First of all his college stats were:

14 ppg, 7rpg, 3 bpg.

Obviously very solid, so he can clearly produce (at least in college), meaning he is not just a guy who gets picked on physical ability (potential).

Add to that the fact that he has a 7'6 wingspan, runs the floor well, and actually has decent ballhandling skills and you have an intriguing package. And he improved massively between his freshman and sophmore years (3/2/1 -> 14/7/3), so he can obviously learn.

Now for the downside though: He cant hit his FT's (53%), he never passes the ball (>1 apg), he's not very strong yet, and his offensive game is far from polished, in short all the warning signs of a bust.

So I was hoping someone who had seen him play a lot this year would help me out, is this guy worth gambling on ? And what kind of player do you see him becoming in the NBA.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
tsforthrees
there, there

Default Re: Javale McGee - Steal or bust ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
So he's announced that he is entering the draft after his sophmore year, and given that he's an athletic 7-footer who produced nicely in college it would seem he's going in the 1st round, the question is where though ? Draftexpress.com has him at #18, and nbadraft.net has him at #11.

14 ppg, 7rpg, 3 bpg.

Obviously very solid, so he can clearly produce (at least in college), meaning he is not just a guy who gets picked on physical ability (potential).

Add to that the fact that he has a 7'6 wingspan, runs the floor well, and actually has decent ballhandling skills and you have an intriguing package. And he improved massively between his freshman and sophmore years (3/2/1 -> 14/7/3), so he can obviously learn.

Now for the downside though: He cant hit his FT's (53%), he never passes the ball (>1 apg), he's not very strong yet, and his offensive game is far from polished, in short all the warning signs of a bust.

So I was hoping someone who had seen him play a lot this year would help me out, is this guy worth gambling on ? And what kind of player do you see him becoming in the NBA.

i saw him play a little, and i personally dont think hes ready yet, but i could see a team gambling on him in the late lottery. he reminds me a ton of marcus camby when he was at umass, and i think he could turn out to be that kind of player in the nba. in fact i hope he slips down into the twenties so the nuggets could groom him as mc's replacement.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket

14 ppg, 7rpg, 3 bpg.

he seems pretty raw to me.if you pick him ur gonna have to wait 3-4 years b4 u see the results you want but they could pay off
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

This my friend, Is the next Patrick O'bryant
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I hate it when kids like this have the green light to come. If they aren't ready, they should stay in college. NBA teams should be giving out the vibes that this kid needs to stay put. Seriously. They wouldn't have to worry about a damn age limit if they could stick to the kids that you know are ready (LeBron, Kobe, Howard, Garnett, etc.) and stay away from the ones that obviously aren't (Skita, Kwame, Darko, etc.).

It took Travis Outlaw 4 years to earn playing time in Portland. Portland.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
rfidd
Saw a basketball once

I have seen Javale play all of his home games at Nevada over the last two years. I think he needed another year to grow up a bit more and develop more skills, but his mom, (former USC and Olympics basket baller), apparently had numerous conversations with gms over the last couple of years and felt she had enough assurance that Javale would be an easy first round pick.

He is long and athletic. He does have an outside shot and sometimes it falls, sometimes it doesn't. He seems to rely on fade-aways more than I would like an athletic seven footer to.

With his length and skill set he is marketable, and quite possibly an early first rounder, but I think when he hits the hardwood against the big guys, he will need to develop more skills, confidence and add about 25 pounds.

Rick
rfidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
monthh
Good High School Starter

Recently teams have gone away from guys like this early in the draft, but because he has produced some in college, I think he has a good shot in the late lottery/mid-1st round. He could be another Patrick O'Bryant, but he could be another Marcus Camby or Samual Dalembert. Huge potential, but huge risk. I think a team the Hawks could develop him in case they lose some of their young guys.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

if you're drafting him hoping he could be sammy d. or camby,take the risk. if your drafting him because you think he could be a great offensive player,pass.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
rknine15
Buckets Baby

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJilDqw8JOY&feature=user

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gSh4w-UPUk4

man he has some serious potential
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
that word is always scary
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: