Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Default Dribbling Against Quick Defenders - Avoid the Strip?

Hey,

I'm the PG on my team so i have the ball in my hands alot. I don't turn the ball over alot, the most TO 's i have had this season is 5. My average is around 2-3 TOPG.
Not bad while playing around 35 minutes a game.

Anyway, I'm a good ballhandler it's just i have 1 problem. I struggle against quick defenders and i get stripped sometimes. Actually, i struggle against pressure defense in general but particularly the small quick guys. This is MAINLY while advancing the ball upcourt.

I'm tall for a PG and i haven't played a taller or stronger PG.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, hints to help me advance the ball upcourt safely and avoid the strip?

Thanks ISH.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Default Re: Dribbling Against Quick Defenders - Avoid the Strip?

Use your height and strength to your advantage and do the little stuff. Using an armbar and keeping the ball on your side may not look as cool as crossovers 24/7 in front of your defender, but it is alot more effective and safe at advancing the ball up the court. Also, if your having real trouble with a guy, call one of the big fellas to set you a pick up top around half court or so. If your defender REALLY wants to dig into you, hes gonna have to take out your big guy too (not likely...)
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Ok thanks.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Well if you are stronger than them, just out muscle them. Use your back, back them down. You can back them down from your baseline to their 3 pt line and from there you can setup your plays. Just remember to dribble the ball on your side, not infront of you.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Thanks MillerTime.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Maniak
Warm Winds

Yeah, I had the same situation, I started PG, the team i was against had one good player, happened to check me, Im shorter.

What I did, since he checked me right at half and swiped at me and was glued on me, I would pass it, simple as a pass. Then id go in, then start cutting around to get it passed back.

As a taller guy, all I can say is to just back him in abit, and look for the open man, try to figure out your better shooter on your team and before you go on, tell him to get cutting in for passes, like I said, just back into him then look for that open shooter.

If there is another good passer on your shift, try to get it to him

My 2 Cents
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
theparade
I hit open layups

I've encounted this, and I've got some tips for you.

Get the court spread out, and then outrebound the guy.

Get your back on him, and then score. That's why you work on your post game, even if you are a guard. After scoring a few times, you'll either get a new check, which gives another teammate a smaller opponent or doubled. Look for the open man.

Out muscle him, play physical. Don't go for the pump fakes, small guys are great at the fakes and moves to keep you out of balance, stay on the balls of your feet.

Don't do do any fancy crossovers etc, they have fast hands and strip you easily.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

bump
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Keep it slow upcourt. Don't rush yourself and end up turning the ball over.

Try doing the stop n go (Not sure what it's called), where you sprint upcourt for a good 10 ft then stop and either take it slow or go again.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

bump
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Use your height and strength to your advantage and do the little stuff. Using an armbar and keeping the ball on your side may not look as cool as crossovers 24/7 in front of your defender, but it is alot more effective and safe at advancing the ball up the court. Also, if your having real trouble with a guy, call one of the big fellas to set you a pick up top around half court or so. If your defender REALLY wants to dig into you, hes gonna have to take out your big guy too (not likely...)
Exactly, watch your boy Chauncey Billups, he does all the little stuff and is great with this kind of stuff.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

Since you have size, you can use your body, paticular your back to box out your defender and protect the ball. Once you have him on your back, just back him down. Always keep body contact with him, so you can feel where he is moving. Peripheral vision is key here as well. If he tries to come around the side for the steal, just roll to the other side for the open look.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #13
trig
Decent college freshman

stay in the middle, avoid going to the sides. Use your body and your arm to protect the ball.

Also inform your teamates to assist you by having proper spacing. So that when you get in trouble, you know where to find them
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
miller123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparade
I've encounted this, and I've got some tips for you.

Get the court spread out, and then outrebound the guy.

Get your back on him, and then score. That's why you work on your post game, even if you are a guard. After scoring a few times, you'll either get a new check, which gives another teammate a smaller opponent or doubled. Look for the open man.

Out muscle him, play physical. Don't go for the pump fakes, small guys are great at the fakes and moves to keep you out of balance, stay on the balls of your feet.

Don't do do any fancy crossovers etc, they have fast hands and strip you easily.
dont play as tight d because if he shoots it he is shorter and u can still block it.
miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Trajko
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Yeah, I'd also suggest using what you have (your muslces, your height) against them. You can even go a step further and use their speed against them. One of the things I've seen Jordan talks about. For example if a player is too aggressive, he is ball pressuring you all the time, what you can do is learn a few dribbles to get past him.

You should really look close to what he is doing and learn his moves. He doesn't have 1000 moves for sure.

Here is a youtube video from Bruce Bowen talking about how to move without the ball so that you can avoid these guys.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mwqzC2sTKzI&feature=related

Also, you can visit my website at www.best-basketball-tips.com and see the secion on basketball drills. You'll probably find what you're looking for. It's all free so you can check it out if you want.

If you're playing against different players all the time so you don't have the time to learn everyone's move, then the best thing you can do is guess. And guess well. Anticipate his moves and use them to your advantage.

Hope that helps,

Trajko
Trajko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: