Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er
 
glidedrxlr22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: lakers r done
Posts: 5,261
Default First gaming memories

What were your first experiences in videogaming? Back when I was I kid my mom would take me to the grocery store and I would bug her for a quarter to play Centipede arcade game. Soon after, I got an Atari 2600. To go from Atari to the 360......I've seen it all.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: First gaming memories

My sis and I playing the original Nintendo like it was our job. We used to play the little mermaid game the most haha
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
J_Rock3ts
The Truth
 
J_Rock3ts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BTown
Posts: 1,913
Default Re: First gaming memories

Super Mario Bros. Of course. I remember playing that game for the longest time. Then #3 came out and I was officially a gamer.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
What were your first experiences in videogaming? Back when I was I kid my mom would take me to the grocery store and I would bug her for a quarter to play Centipede arcade game. Soon after, I got an Atari 2600. To go from Atari to the 360......I've seen it all.

I can trump that.

My first game I remember playing, was a Texas Instrument "computer". Actually, it was basically a keyboard that plugged into your t.v. I remember you somehow had to hook a cassette player up to it to play games. There was this mining game that was pretty fun back then. Hey, I was young.

My first "real" computer was an Apple II. My first PC was 9mhz and had a 1200baud modem and a CGA monitor, and I actually used the original Windows at one point, which I doubt any of you have actually seen before. (Do any of you even remember pre Windows98, Windows 3.1?)

Oh, and there was another Atari before 2600, but I don't recall the name of it. Had the original Mario Bros. which was before Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt which came with the Nintendo system (remember when system's actually came with a game? The NES came with 2.)

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 04-16-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I can trump that.

My first game I remember playing, was a Texas Instrument "computer". Actually, it was basically a keyboard that plugged into your t.v. I remember you somehow had to hook a cassette player up to it to play games. There was this mining game that was pretty fun back then. Hey, I was young.

My first "real" computer was an Apple II. My first PC was 9mhz and had a 1200baud modem and a CGA monitor, and I actually used the original Windows at one point, which I doubt any of you have actually seen before. (Do any of you even remember pre Windows98, Windows 3.1?)

Oh, and there was another Atari before 2600, but I don't recall the name of it. Had the original Mario Bros. which was before Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt which came with the Nintendo system (remember when system's actually came with a game? The NES came with 2.)

Mathius
oh man I had this PC game called zapper spud that I would play over and over when I was little.

I remember windows 95.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year
 
ukballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,611
Default Re: First gaming memories

My first gaming memories were when we got our first PC, and we got a cd with about 50 different games on it. It had classics like Doom on it, as well as little games like a Pinball one, and this cool karting game as well. I must have only been 8 or 9 at the time.

Also playing the SNES round my friends house. Whoever could get the most rings on Sonic was declared the winner that particular day

I remember the day I got my original Playstation as well. I can remember how excited I was as well. I played the original Gran Turismo on it religiously!

I look back on all that and think, wow, look at how technology has grown in quite a short space of time. I bet most people would laugh at you back during that time if you suggested a motion sensing console like the Wii would be made!
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains
 
Sonic R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit…
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: First gaming memories

Cicra 1982-84
When I was little, my mother would drop me and my sister off at the arcade while she shopped. I would spend a few quarters in games like Zaxxon, Space Invaders, and Defender. I also remember playing Tempest and Sprint. My sister would get a VCS but I really didn't take hold of it much. I played some games like Lock & Chase and Carnival and others I can't be bothered to remember.

Then in 1987, I would get a Nintendo Entertainment System.
My video game nerd would be born.

I got the Action set with Super Mario/Duck Hunt.
We also got Hogans Alley, Wrecking Crew, and Ice Climber.
I played these games ALL summer long. That summer I cut lawn and saved money to make my first video game purchase: Balloon Fight. I still have this game and play it to this day.

So basically all I did from middle school to now was play video games. In high school I worked at a video game sales and rental shop during the 16-bit era and got to play a ton of games and bought tons of stuff at cost. I did make some bad purchases then, like paying $230 for an Atari Jaguar and $600 the 3DO

Today, I still play my NES as well as everything up to 360 and Wii.
My favorite consoles are NES, Turbo Grafx/Duo, and all Sega consoles. If I were to be a "fanboy", I guess I would be one of Sega. Back in high school I sided with Sonic in the Sonic vs Mario feud. I prefered Genesis over SNES and Saturn over N64. All in all I still like them all and each one has their great games to play.

/ramble
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Cicra 1982-84
When I was little, my mother would drop me and my sister off at the arcade while she shopped. I would spend a few quarters in games like Zaxxon, Space Invaders, and Defender. I also remember playing Tempest and Sprint. My sister would get a VCS but I really didn't take hold of it much. I played some games like Lock & Chase and Carnival and others I can't be bothered to remember.

Then in 1987, I would get a Nintendo Entertainment System.
My video game nerd would be born.

I got the Action set with Super Mario/Duck Hunt.
We also got Hogans Alley, Wrecking Crew, and Ice Climber.
I played these games ALL summer long. That summer I cut lawn and saved money to make my first video game purchase: Balloon Fight. I still have this game and play it to this day.

So basically all I did from middle school to now was play video games. In high school I worked at a video game sales and rental shop during the 16-bit era and got to play a ton of games and bought tons of stuff at cost. I did make some bad purchases then, like paying $230 for an Atari Jaguar and $600 the 3DO

Today, I still play my NES as well as everything up to 360 and Wii.
My favorite consoles are NES, Turbo Grafx/Duo, and all Sega consoles. If I were to be a "fanboy", I guess I would be one of Sega. Back in high school I sided with Sonic in the Sonic vs Mario feud. I prefered Genesis over SNES and Saturn over N64. All in all I still like them all and each one has their great games to play.

/ramble
I was also a huge sonic/sega fan. I got the Genesis for Christmas and played the crap out of it.

I can't believe I did this, but I knew this family that didn't have much money, but had like 5 kids so I gave it to them. Apparently the dad gets mad and steps on it I wish I had that back so much now.

Did any of you guys have a dreamcast?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains
 
Sonic R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit…
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Did any of you guys have a dreamcast?

Yes Sir…

They were still making games for it last year (in Japan)

Trigger Heart Exelica, available on XBLA now, was an arcade game on Naomi and was ported to Dreamcast last year.

Milestone also released Karous last year and currently has an arcade game out now on Naomi which is rumored to possibly be ported to Dreamcast.

Dreamcast was a really cool machine. Lots of great arcade style games and some of the best sports games for its time too (NFL2k1, NBA2k1, Tennis 2k2) Dreamcast was also fun with multiplayer games (Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Giga Wing 2).

RIP Sega (the hardware company)
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: First gaming memories

Yeah NBA 2k1 was an amazing game. way before it's time.

The crazy taxis and sonic were both really good on dreamcast, but my favorite game for dreamcast was Shenmue. Shenmue was crazy how good it was, so many choices you could make to effect the outcome of the game, and tons of things to do.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er
 
glidedrxlr22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: lakers r done
Posts: 5,261
Default Re: First gaming memories

I had a Dreamcast and my favorite games on it were Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and the first NBA 2k. I miss that system. I also really liked the Turbografx-16, but it didn't catch on here in the U.S.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er
 
glidedrxlr22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: lakers r done
Posts: 5,261
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I can trump that.

My first game I remember playing, was a Texas Instrument "computer". Actually, it was basically a keyboard that plugged into your t.v. I remember you somehow had to hook a cassette player up to it to play games. There was this mining game that was pretty fun back then. Hey, I was young.

My first "real" computer was an Apple II. My first PC was 9mhz and had a 1200baud modem and a CGA monitor, and I actually used the original Windows at one point, which I doubt any of you have actually seen before. (Do any of you even remember pre Windows98, Windows 3.1?)

Oh, and there was another Atari before 2600, but I don't recall the name of it. Had the original Mario Bros. which was before Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt which came with the Nintendo system (remember when system's actually came with a game? The NES came with 2.)

Mathius

That's old school. Good to hear we have some good old fashion old schoolers around here. Lol, we thought colored, moving blocks were great graphics back then.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains
 
Sonic R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit…
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
I had a Dreamcast and my favorite games on it were Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and the first NBA 2k. I miss that system. I also really liked the Turbografx-16, but it didn't catch on here in the U.S.

Skies of Arcadia was good.
I also really like Grandia II
aw man…Grandia II was sweet! I love the battle system. It was the best one too. Grandia III improved the battle system but the game was so liniar like it was holding your hand.

Another good DC game… Jet Grind Radio.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
out|hoops|side
Banned
 
out|hoops|side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The depleted northwest
Posts: 524
Default Re: First gaming memories

I got an original Nintendo from my cousins. Came with about 15 games, including the gold collector's version of Zelda. It was so much fun playing Zelda, putting down a bomb and waiting for the Rhino to come across that little 2-D screen and eat it, then placing another one and hoping he'll eat that too, so eventually he'll die.
Another first was playing the NBA game for N64, the 2000 version, it was so much fun. You could create your own guy, which was awesome at the time, and to unlock MJ you had to beat him one-on-one which was always amusing to do. Unfortunately, all the NBA games these days don't have MJ in them, for whatever legal reason it is.
My first gaming memories always included my little brother though...WhiteMoses.

Last edited by out|hoops|side : 04-17-2008 at 04:50 PM.
out|hoops|side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: First gaming memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by out|hoops|side
I got an original Nintendo from my cousins. Came with about 15 games, including the gold collector's version of Zelda. It was so much fun playing Zelda, putting down a bomb and waiting for the Rhino to come across that little 2-D screen and eat it, then placing another one and hoping he'll eat that too, so eventually he'll die.
Another first was playing the NBA game for N64, the 2000 version, it was so much fun. You could create your own guy, which was awesome at the time, and to unlock MJ you had to beat him one-on-one which was always amusing to do. Unfortunately, all the NBA games these days don't have MJ in them, for whatever legal reason it is.
My first gaming memories always included my little brother though...WhiteMoses.
Is he really your little brother?

If so why did he stop posting?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy