Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Default Re: NCAA Championship game thread: Kansas vs. Memphis, CBS 9pm ET Monday

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I'm positive he told them to foul....players responsibility. Rose shouldve fouled. CDR should've...they didnt.

Coach Cal is crying tho saying "We fouled Sherron Collins!"
    In my opinion when Calipari was saying, "We fouled Collins!" I think he was saying it in hindsight since Chalmers actually made a 3pt shot to tie the game that he (in all probability) thought he would miss. I'm also not convinced he relayed the "we've got to foul Kansas" message to them, seeing as they (Memphis) didn't even try to foul along w/ his (Cal's) demeanor on the sideline during the final play of regulation. It seems he would've been flailing away or something (even standing up, not sitting on the bench) to get the players to know exactly what they need to do at that particular time. Coach Calipari choked, not those young men playing.

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Default Re: NCAA Championship game thread: Kansas vs. Memphis, CBS 9pm ET Monday

One of the most epic chokejobs in college ball history.

Dirk Nowitzi approves of the Memphis efforts.

Last edited by picc84; 04-08-2008 at 11:10 AM.

that game was absolutely incredible....nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    Free throws didn't really cost Memphis the game when all they had to do was FOUL Chalmers before he got off the game-tying 3. If Memphis fouls him before he shoots then it's a 2 shot foul which puts Kansas in a "make one miss one, get the rebound" situation or "make 2 and quick foul" situation w/ 2.1 seconds left in the game so to me that comes down to coaching moreso than free throws since despite terrible free throw shooting, Memphis was still winning by 3. Coach Calipari choked.
    make the free throws...even go 2 for 5,and you dont have to foul.cdr and rose had been making them up until the championship.theyre the ones who choked

Saw a basketball once

Yeah I hate when everyone tries to blame one person (eg CDR) for the loss. So yeah CDR missed some free throws- but there were plenty of other times in the game that other people screwed up and there was bad coaching. Get off CDR's nuts!

Saw a basketball once

I don't remember the exact games, but I definitely remember Mario Chalmers pulling an incredibly clutch 3 pointer at least one other time in his KU career. Might have been in the big 12 conference tournament, or possibly a big conference rivalry game. Does anyone recall?

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

swooshgirl you gotta pic?

calipari's the coach he shoulda called a time out to get everybody on the same page, foul collins! but in that situation there was sooo much pressure and everythings happening soooo fast with the adrenaline and everything can cloud the greatest of minds, calipari's a unbelievable coach that didn't do a good job down the stretch, im sure he's beating himself over the head more than anybody else is. Im kinda sick of hearing how memphis beat themselves and its this persons fault or caliparis fault. im gonna flip the subject here.

lets talk about how kansas almost let this one get away, lets face it kansas should have lost! i picked kansas too win myself because i believe they are MUCH more talented than memphis, BUT memphis has been playing the best basketball as a team than any other team in the nation. I think KU has more talent than any team in the nation.

kansas was the MUCH better team in the 1st half, they put dorsey, dozier in foul trouble and was killen it inside, calipari knew it was coming, the freakin whole nation knew KU was gonna pound it inside in the first half, and yet memphis couldn't stop it.

2nd half KU got away from it, they started running weaves with there 3 gaurd set, and there bigs were screening and switching up on the block, with the occasional p&r, memphis murdered them in the 2nd. KU shoulda lost!

so my question is this... why didn't bill self pound it more on the inside? he almost cost his team the game, im a firm believer in when it's not broken don't fix it! i have no idea why self ran the plays he did in the 2nd half, im assuming he thought memphis was goin to make adjustments and self thought he would capitalize assuming the perimeter will be open, bad bad move by self.

if i was self i would of ran it up and down the court, memphis can't keep up with KU, some of yall might think im crazy, but if you watched the first half not only were the bigs scoring at will inside the paint, they were running getting easy buckets in transition also, there are probably only two teams athletic enough to run with memphis and thats KU and tennesee. who does memhis have? rose, CDR, Dozier, and dorsey, and everybody else are role players, KU's frontline are disgusting arthur, jackson, kahn, alderidge (the freshman) you could very well see all four of these players in the league with the exception of maybe darnell jackson, i think sasha kahn will be a very very good pro actually and most of yall will prolly be like who? once he gets to the league, he'll be a 2nd round steal hope the bullies grab him, and then you got rush, russell, chalmers, collins, look at that lineup! thats possibly 6 nba'ers realistically, 8 very very good solid players, how can you not be blown away with that talent, on paper this KU team is the most talented college bball team ever that i've seen ON PAPER. KU should have ran it, theres no way memphis woulda kept up and it would have been a lobsided KU victory. Case in point bill self got lucky, didn't do a good coaching job, hell he still hasn't proved to me he's a good coach yet,but one hell of a recruiter. Self got really lucky with this one.