Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Nam Vo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Nam Vo has an OK reputation so far
Default Weight Vests

Are they effective in improving vertical jump and speed? If so, which brand do you guys recommend?
Nam Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
determined2win
I hit open layups

determined2win has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Weight Vests

logically it would improve your vertical leap/speed. if you get used to jumping/running with weight that pulls you down, without the weights you would naturally jump higher than when you have the weights on so im pretty sure it does help. and for the brand no idea sorry.
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Nam Vo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Nam Vo has an OK reputation so far

So if I just play with the vest on, will that improve my vert/speed or do I need to do specific workouts.
Nam Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
determined2win
I hit open layups

determined2win has an OK reputation so far

i dont think just wearing weight vests would help you. lets see, if you just lift weights would you build muscle? essentially. you would need to have a good diet to keep them, right? and other stuff. so i think you should do calf raises if you wanted to help build your leap height since calves are a big part in jumping. as for speed just run run run run get used to it and essentially you would run faster thru practice.

disclaimer: im not a professional sports trainer these are all from logic beliefs enough for someone who plays sports to know
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

weight vest are much better then some other weighted apparel (such as ankle weights) because they distribute the weight a bit more evenly on the body. wearing a vest will make you stronger just because you are wearing one, but its not going to be fantastic gains through the roof just because you are wearing it. the best way to use them is with a sprinters program and pylometrics during the OFF season. useing them during sports will just mess with your head and the mental pathways in your body turning the reflex movement into somthing you actually have to think about.

when it comes to brands, just find the cheapest one you can and then find the one that costs $5 more. it works for me...
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

The best there is is X-Vest, expensive, yes, may find it a little cheap on eBay?
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: