Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Getting faster...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by i cant dunk
My science teacher says that running is only good for cardio but horrible for your knees. expect not being able to jump if your going to train.

haha...
sure it is.
But hey, did you know that walking across the street is dangerous? True sh*t, you can get hit by cars and stuff... what a crazy world we live in
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #17
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
My science teacher says that running is only good for cardio but horrible for your knees. expect not being able to jump if your going to train.

Need to define running.

Runnign long distances over long periods of time can be rough on knees and backs.

Short, fast bursts that are called sprints are actually going to be less damaging.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:46 AM   #18
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Balla21
Anyone have any tips or programs on getting faster??

lose weight
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Running is only damaging for your knees if you are doing heavy duty jogging. If you want to be fast, it is important that you have enough stamina to run up and down the court. Once your cardio and breathing are good enough to play without getting too winded, then start doing sprints, then you do squats and calf raises and such at the gym.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Your science teacher is a *********.

Running is bad for your knees if you do it too much (for some people) because it puts pressure and alot of force on your knees constantly, knees are usually weak in most peolpe. If you go on the bike that is a whole other story, just like swimming, is great beause it doesn't put any force or strength on a certain part of your body so you can do that without any problems.

You should do alot of little sprints, suicides, squats and lundges. This is called interval training, you run for a bit, then for 1 minute, you sprint as hard as you can, then you slow down, and in a couple minutes you do it again. You should do that on a bike.

If your in the gym by yourself then you should do suicides, that is the best thing to do, and during rests you should do squats and lundges beacuse that will strengthen up your glutes, quads etc, and all the fast-twitch fibers in your legs that are needed for sprinting and jumping.

If your a good jumped, you should be a good sprinter as well.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
miller123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

miller123 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILballa
sprints
what kind of sprints.
miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller123
what kind of sprints.

Fast ones

We can get into a long discussion of training variables and time of year programming and the proper volumes at those times, but for overall sake of simplicity, IMO, (and this depends on where you train too)...10-20 yard sprints are all you need.

The general rule of thumb is 1 minute rest for every 10 yards you run,,,but that is for overall speed...we want to improve speed "endurance" and recovery as well, so you can do something like this once or twice a week along with your trainnig with weights and basketball play.

10 yard sprints x 8 (20 second break between each run)....4 sets with a 2 minute break between each set

15 yard sprints x 8 (30 second break between each run)....3 sets with a 3 minute break between each

20 yard sprints x 5 (40 second break)....4 sets, 3 minute break.

Try that and you can adjust total number of reps and sets as well as rest periods depending on your fitness level and ability and improvements.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
Trajko
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Trajko has an OK reputation so far

do suicides
Trajko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: