Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Why Network play is pis$ing me off.

Network play can be a blast, but there are two issues with it that make me unable to stand it.

The first, and biggest, is that game developers aren't bothering with making any multiplayer games you can just play at home on your system. The moment the PS2 came out with a modem, the multi-tap became useless except for sports games. Every other system since has followed suite.

Gone are the days on my N64 when I'd get 4 guys gathered around the system to play Turok 2 and have an awesome death match party. I picked up a game lately that said it was 1-4 player, and 1-4 players network. False advertising. The only way to play with 4 players locally was to log into the network.

The second reason, is nothing I would think the gaming industry can help, but is directly the fault of gamers.

There are too many damn people out there with no lives, that play a new game every single night, until the casual gamer can't log on and play without getting their a$$es kicked in.

I remember in the days when Doom 2 was big online and I was in high school, and I had the time to hang online all night and play for hours, but as an adult? Forget it, I have things to do, AND I don't have the attention span to sit there in front of one game for hours anymore.

Any one else feel this way, or am I just getting too old?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Irk Woodsman
I airball my layups

Irk Woodsman has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why Network play is pis$ing me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Gone are the days on my N64 when I'd get 4 guys gathered around the system to play Turok 2 and have an awesome death match party. I picked up a game lately that said it was 1-4 player, and 1-4 players network. False advertising. The only way to play with 4 players locally was to log into the network.
Any game I ever look at always does a good job of seperating number of players from number of on-line players
Irk Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Nintendo Wii focuses well (actually better) with multiplayer in the same room…

I don't play games online unless with friends anyways…

I miss the days of Dreamcast playing Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Giga Wing 2, and Virtua Tennis/Tennis 2k2…

Gamecube did some cool things with multiplayer but GBAs were needed to get the best out of it with games like Four Swords, Crystal Chronicles, and Pac-Man Vs.

So yeah I guess I can say I don't fancy online play… I would rather get together with REAL friends and play games in the same room. There is just a social aspect that goes with it. Playing online with strangers is just plastic.

Anyways, the Nintendo Wii still offers multiplayer games that involve 4 controllers and 4 people in one room…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman
Any game I ever look at always does a good job of seperating number of players from number of on-line players

But the point being, I shouldn't have to get online to play with people in the same room. For one thing, it's a whole bunch of extra interface you shouldn't have to deal with.

Also, the newer systems all have built in modem support, and whatnot, but the older systems don't. If I go over a buddies and want to hook up on his PS2 to play multiplayer games, and he doesn't have the modem and i do, but didn't bring it, or maybe he doesn't have an internet connection there, because he uses wireless, or maybe just doesn't have a close internet port, then what? Nothing.

Mathius
Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Gamecube did some cool things with multiplayer but GBAs were needed to get the best out of it with games like Four Swords, Crystal Chronicles, and Pac-Man Vs.

Right, but I was reading up on Crystal Chronicles and I have Four Swords, and they're both flawed.

Four Swords won't let you play multiplayer unless everyone has a GBA. (unless i'm just an idiot and can't figure it out, but my buddy and I screwed with it for hours).

Crystal Chronicles from what I read, was so geared towards multiplayer that it was almost impossible to play as a single player game.

Quote:
So yeah I guess I can say I don't fancy online play… I would rather get together with REAL friends and play games in the same room. There is just a social aspect that goes with it. Playing online with strangers is just plastic.

Anyways, the Nintendo Wii still offers multiplayer games that involve 4 controllers and 4 people in one room…

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest draw for the Wii, the interaction with other parties.

I just don't want to get into all that hand waving.

I'm not really built for these next gen consoles. I don't want all the hand waving of the Wii. I don't want to support Microsoft product, so I won't buy an X-Box, and the PS3 is more expensive than I'm willing to pay for a damn video game system.

I'm also not a fan of wireless controllers. I don't like having to buy batteries once a month, and rechargables are hit or miss. I can't even get a decent reception on my cell phone, I'm supposed to use a wireless video game system?

Mathius
Old 04-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Right, but I was reading up on Crystal Chronicles and I have Four Swords, and they're both flawed.

Four Swords won't let you play multiplayer unless everyone has a GBA. (unless i'm just an idiot and can't figure it out, but my buddy and I screwed with it for hours).

Crystal Chronicles from what I read, was so geared towards multiplayer that it was almost impossible to play as a single player game.

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest draw for the Wii, the interaction with other parties.

I just don't want to get into all that hand waving.

I'm not really built for these next gen consoles. I don't want all the hand waving of the Wii. I don't want to support Microsoft product, so I won't buy an X-Box, and the PS3 is more expensive than I'm willing to pay for a damn video game system.

I'm also not a fan of wireless controllers. I don't like having to buy batteries once a month, and rechargables are hit or miss. I can't even get a decent reception on my cell phone, I'm supposed to use a wireless video game system?

Mathius
You sound like a grumpy old man lol
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

It's all online multiplayer because that is what people want. And you develop for your gamers as if they aren't happy, you aren't in business.

When gamers decide they want less than stunning graphics, solid gameplay, and a different style of gameplay, you will see the games being made.

If you want a physical MP as opposed to online MP, pickup rockband or a wii IMO. Probably the 2 most fun choices you can have at the moment
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
It's all online multiplayer because that is what people want. And you develop for your gamers as if they aren't happy, you aren't in business.

When gamers decide they want less than stunning graphics, solid gameplay, and a different style of gameplay, you will see the games being made.

If you want a physical MP as opposed to online MP, pickup rockband or a wii IMO. Probably the 2 most fun choices you can have at the moment

That's a cop out. If you go through all the trouble to include multiplayer stuff, and then go further and add online server support, that's a crapload of extra code to make it online. It's infinately easier to make it a stand alone multiplayer game.

If they go the extra yard to get the online code done, it would take almost no effort to fix it so you can play multiplayer offline. The majority of the code is already written. All you need is a little extra interface.

I used to program for MUD's, I know a little bit about this, so your comments are really baseless.

It's a hell of a lot easier to make a game stand alone, than it is to add server support, believe me. You have to deal with socket code and all kinds of extra nonsense, not to mention dealing with all the different protocols that are being added all the time with the latest and greatest new way to get faster internet.

Mathius
Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
That's a cop out. If you go through all the trouble to include multiplayer stuff, and then go further and add online server support, that's a crapload of extra code to make it online. It's infinately easier to make it a stand alone multiplayer game.

If they go the extra yard to get the online code done, it would take almost no effort to fix it so you can play multiplayer offline. The majority of the code is already written. All you need is a little extra interface.

I used to program for MUD's, I know a little bit about this, so your comments are really baseless.

It's a hell of a lot easier to make a game stand alone, than it is to add server support, believe me. You have to deal with socket code and all kinds of extra nonsense, not to mention dealing with all the different protocols that are being added all the time with the latest and greatest new way to get faster internet.

Mathius

Well, I'm in the gaming industry, have written for PC, and currently writing on NDS so my comments DO in fact have a base, however I am not writing triple A titles.

And you are right, a stand alone game is much easier to develop than one with online play, however, a lot of gamers LOVE online play, and the bottom line is game developers are a business, we make what fans want.

a good example is COD4 and Madden, the games dont change drastically year to year, but you buy them because of the online play

Quote:

It also needs to be tested, created, coded, etc. Development(even 2D) still takes some time bud

Lastly, i personally never enjoyed *physical multiplayer* because the screen gets divided up into X sections. It looks ugly IMO, but that's me.

Now, the developer that I work for produces casual games. Hopefully we will make something that you enjoy since you mentioned you don't have time to *digest* a game such as the average hardcore gamer

Last edited by sixerfan82 : 04-07-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
It also needs to be tested, created, coded, etc. Development(even 2D) still takes some time bud

If it were written with all this in mind ahead of time, it wouldn't take hardly any extra time if the code was properly optimized. The multiplayer "in house" would act the same as multiplayer online, except you'd be offline, so no need for socket code, etc.

Quote:
Lastly, i personally never enjoyed *physical multiplayer* because the screen gets divided up into X sections. It looks ugly IMO, but that's me.

Yeah, that's a drawback. Especially in homes with smaller t.v.'s But I've always found in the past, that the fun factor of playing with 3 of your buddies besides you always makes me overlook that.

Also, in deathmatch, with everyone being able to look at your screen, it makes strategy come into play.

Quote:
Now, the developer that I work for produces casual games. Hopefully we will make something that you enjoy since you mentioned you don't have time to *digest* a game such as the average hardcore gamer

I've always wanted to make a video game. I have a lot of good ideas, I think. But I don't think there's a job out there where you can pretty much just tell a group of people what to make and they'll do it. Unless you run the company.

Mathius
Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far

DUDE! your just old man sorry.
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
I've always wanted to make a video game. I have a lot of good ideas, I think. But I don't think there's a job out there where you can pretty much just tell a group of people what to make and they'll do it. Unless you run the company.

There is something *similar*, called rent-a-coder, it is for computer and programming based needs but does have a game development section.

I however would very much be interested in your idea, at least to hear it. PM it if you want or post it here, it's all the same to me.

oh and shameless plug time?

Islandofficials.com :)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: