Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
SecondFiddle
Local High School Star

SecondFiddle has not been impressing people

Josh Smith will become the best player named Smith that has ever played for the Hawks.
SecondFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
showtimeboss
Can barely lace up my sneakers

showtimeboss has an OK reputation so far

He Is Like A Young Kemp Or Connie Hawkins. Very Raw But Crazy Potential Future Allstar Trade Him 4 Crawford
showtimeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
CVMerlot954

CVMerlot954 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough
This is low-balling him. Josh averaged 11.3 ppg, 6.6rpg, and 2.6bpg this past season while only logging 31mpg. Almost zero plays were run for him on offense, and lot's of his points were generated by his defense. If he continues to work on all facets of his game and he improves at the same rate he did last year, Josh will be a 20/8/2.5 guy. If woody has any sense, he has a vet working with Josh on his footwork down low. With his vertical, he would be a terror (and much better than Harrington).

I totally agree with you. Josh got some of his points by playing great defense, put backs, fastbreaks, and a few open shots. During the end of the season, his 3s were starting to improve. No plays were run for him. Harrington will be gone by the time training camp starts. If he keeps hitting the 3s like he did near the end of last season, he'll be great at either forward position. If his ball-handling improves this summer, more plays will be run for him at the post. If it doesn't improve, I still can't see why they wouldn't run plays for him at the post. Other than Sheldon, who else has a good chance of being a low post threat than Josh? I'd put Josh in the post over Sheldon, because he looks more smooth. Sheldon, at times, seems so robotic with his post moves, like he's counting his steps. Well, he's a 4-year senior from Duke, so I'm not too worried about him. He's gonna be aight for a rookie.
CVMerlot954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

frankthetank966 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty
Josh Smith will NOT become an All-Star untill he develops his outside game...

3rd player.

He was developing a strong outside game for a SF near the end of the season. He will be an all-star next year if not this year but that is pushing it.
frankthetank966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #20
hawks07

hawks07 has an OK reputation so far

Honestly, I would like to see him take less three's than he began to at the end of last year. Granted he was hitting them, but it takes him out of his game, which is scrapping inside and slashing (doing all the intangibles). I would prefer to see him take a selective one or two a game and focus on the things he does best. Salim and Marvin need to be the ones hitting spot up three's...
hawks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #21
The Real GM

The Real GM has an OK reputation so far
Exclamation

Josh Smith improved dramatically last year. His defense caught me by surprise. Most kids out of high school are mainly just offensive players. He does all the little things like scrap for the ball and rebound. The question is, what position will he play? He plays both forwards. The Hawks have a logjam on the wing. Johnson, Williams, Childress, Stoudemire, and Josh Smith all are wings. Smith would get more time playing power forward. He would have to work on his low-post game and defensive rotations at that position. Williams and Johnson will start on the wing, while Stoudemire should be their offensive punch off the bench. It is a toss-up between Childress and Smith who will get more wing time off the bench. If Smith decides to turn himself into a true power forward, he would probably start. He still plays more like a small forward with his slashing ability and face-up game. Childress is a better shooter and more fundamentaly sound player, but Smith does give the intangibles that nobody else does. The Hawks might have a choice if they want to acquire a more conventional underneath player to play with Shelden and Zaza. The choice would be who to trade in order to get that underneath player, Smith or Childress? This is if they don't get one in an Al Harrington sign and trade. Regardless, with so many wings they all need legitimate playing time. Unfortunately, in order to spread that playing time one of these two players would be the odd-man out.
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #22
Drck33

Drck33 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough
This is low-balling him. Josh averaged 11.3 ppg, 6.6rpg, and 2.6bpg this past season while only logging 31mpg. Almost zero plays were run for him on offense, and lot's of his points were generated by his defense. If he continues to work on all facets of his game and he improves at the same rate he did last year, Josh will be a 20/8/2.5 guy. If woody has any sense, he has a vet working with Josh on his footwork down low. With his vertical, he would be a terror (and much better than Harrington).

I think a 20 point season would be too much to ask from Josh knowing that thery already have one in JJ. I see a 15ppg, 7.5rpg, 3apg, 2.5bpg and 1.0spg. Somewhere in that area. But hey I would love to Josh average 20 a game.
Drck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #23
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Josh Smith will never become a star player, unless he matures a little if that ever happens.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #24
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

Rapsfan4life has an OK reputation so far

he's going to become a good player. He rebounds very well for his size and his athletism is solid. His improving jump shot makes him an exciting dynamic player
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: