Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far
Default Would You Fans Want this Trade?

The Heat will more than likely get the #1 overall pick. Its no secret that Pat Riley needs and loves having a dominant center. The problem is that this year, there isn't one worthy of a #1 pick and most are borderline lottery picks or projects. Joel Pryzbilla has actually done a really good job as the starter and good enough to where the Blazers were considered a playoff team with Brandon Roy doing his thing. Their biggest need is a point guard or small forward and the consensus #1 picks just happen to a point guard and small forward with Rose and Beasley. Rose could be a great fit for this team. Not only does he offer them a floor general but another scoring option to help Roy and Aldridge. Oden isn't known for being a offensive threat and could be nothing more than Tyson Chandler type player which isn't a bad thing since TC is having an All Star type season. So..Would you trade Oden to the Heat for a #1 overall pick in this year's draft to select Rose (or Beasley)? The Blazers would still have the #13.

Possible draft pick combos:

#1 Derrick Rose, #13 Earl Clark, #36 Devon Hardin
#1 Michael Beasley, #13 Darren Collison, #36 Devon Hardin

Last edited by BayAreaSportz : 04-17-2008 at 11:41 PM.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Would You Fans Want this Trade?

Absolutely not. Beasley isn't needed at his position, and I do believe that (A) Oden will be better than Rose and (B) a great center is one of the most important pieces of a championship. For the record, I expect Oden to also be better than Chandler (definitely on defense, and probably comparable on offense).

You mentioned that Przybilla has done well, and I completely agree. However, he only plays 24 minutes a game anyway and we don't have any other true centers available in our long term plans. Also, we aren't desperate for a PG, it is simply our weakest position, but we have plenty of depth at the PG role. If we trade Oden for Rose, then the C position (which I consider more important for a championship) becomes the weakest, AND has no depth.

I'd be pretty surprised to see any other Blazer fans willing to trade Oden for Rose, but I could be wrong so lets see other responses....................
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far

Myth, You're probably right. A good, dominant center is a hot commodity in the league and I'd be unwilling to trade one away as well. The problem is, we really don't know if Oden is going to be a dominant center in the league. His offensive skills are still raw but he will turn out to be a nice rebounder and shot blocker, but Pryzbilla has done that already when he's gotten the time. Players like Rose and Oden are available once every 5-10 years. Its a matter of need at this point and I think having a point guard like Rose would help more than a center that may need a year or two to get acclimated into the league. Thats just my opinion of course.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE is considered somewhat coolKNOW1EDGE is considered somewhat cool

How about Joel Przybilla for the #1 pick?

Lets just be realistic, Greg Oden will not be traded. If Greg Oden reaches his full potential he can be one of the best centers of all time. Worst case scenario he is Dekembe Mutumbo. No way the Blazers would trade him.

I agree that the Blazers need a pg and Rose will be awesome in the NBA.

But for a championship team Greg Oden is far more important than Rose. IMO
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We don't know if Rose will be a dominant PG either though. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to add him to the Blazer mix, just not at the expense of Oden. I think our need is having 48 minutes of good defense, which is best positioned around the basket. Rose can't add that. Plus, Przybilla will only be effective for so long since he is nearly 30 already. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
Lets just be realistic, Greg Oden will not be traded. If Greg Oden reaches his full potential he can be one of the best centers of all time. Worst case scenario he is Dekembe Mutumbo. No way the Blazers would trade him.

I agree that the Blazers need a pg and Rose will be awesome in the NBA.

But for a championship team Greg Oden is far more important than Rose. IMO

Agreed, except for Mutombo being a worst case scenario. Four time defensive player of the year is worst case? That would certainly make me happy.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

The only player I would even CONSIDER trading Oden for is Dwight Howard - certainly wouldn't trade him for a combo forward with possible off court / attitude issues (Beasley) or a one-and-done point guard (Rose)
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Thats another thing. I think if you draft a point guard in the draft, he better be on a winning team from a big school with a great coach and be there more than a year.

Most one and done point guards turn out to be garbage! I mean, how many successful point guards in the NBA came straight out of high school or had only one year in college? I can't really think of any!

Rose will take some time to develop in the NBA.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Uhhhhh BlazersDozen...........are you forgetting Sebastian Telfair??? HELLOOOO!!!!!

Sorry, that draft irritated the hell out of me - not only because I didn't like our selections, but because when we took Telfair at #13 and most people had him going in the early to mid 20's, where we had TWO picks, I dropped my bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale, it smashed into my living room table, broke and spilt all over my brand new carpet.......darn it - started this post out trying to be humorous, but now i'm depressing myself because of that draft, my spilt beer and the new carpet i had to put in just last year..........
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Are you proving my point or calling me stupid?

Sebastian Telfair isn't even close to what people thought he would be.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: