Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default conley/stuckey

is everybody ready to admit that memphis selecting mike conly jr over rodney stuckey was a mistake?

does anyone feel memphis has their starting pg of the future? is conley a 6th man type?- are they prepared or willing to go pg in this years draft?

i believe detroit made the best pick in last years draft- stuckey will be detroits best player for a long while after he is a great role player with billups,hamilton& rasheed wallace& prince

detroit imo secured their future by adding to the prince,maxiel,even amir johnson and afflalo's core of young players

memphis does not deserve to win the lottery(for giving the lakers pau) but you never know- rose would have to be memphis' pick if they were to win it
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
AAD
I brick open layups

AAD has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: conley/stuckey

stuckey is the best point guard from the 07 draft
AAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Stuckey's the man, hence the avatar. I was following him at EWU and loved the dude's game. Can't wait for him to become a star.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Conley was probably a reach at #4 due to having a nice run in the tournament, but you can't tell me Stuckey wouldn't have been an insanely higher risk at that spot, coming from a relatively low-key school having played against pretty average competition.

I love the kid's game too though, don't get me wrong. And if he'd have been at a bigger school, this time last year we'd have been talking him up as a lock for top 5.

Last edited by new noise : 04-18-2008 at 07:20 AM.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

I agree that it picking Conley at four was way too high, but it's also way too early to say how good Conley will be. For many point guards, it takes a couple of years to reach their potential in NBA.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Yeah, look at all the Sebastian Telfair doubters..........oh, never mind.

The media and fan base would have been in an uproar if Memphis had taken Stuckey at #4 - that would be like them trading Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown.......oh, never mind.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

But look at their teams. Stuckey gets to step on the court with Billups, Prince, Rasheed, and McDyess. Conley gets to step on the court with Miller, Gay, Warrick, and Darko. Stuckey is on a proven veteran team, while Conley plays with young guys and NBA journeymen.

Plus Suckey didn't play for like the first two months of the season, and is no fresher and in a more stable condition. Conley missed the first 2 months of the year because of injury and stepped into one of the more unstable teams in the NBA with all of the Gasol talk.

The other key is the Conley runs the point, while Stuckey really had to play SG with RIP hurt. That is when his time really went up and he could show what he can do.

And my final argument for Conley being the better pro:
Assists: 4.2 to 2.8 for Conley
Shooting: .428 to .401 for Conley
3pt Shooting: .330 to .188 for Conley
A/TO: 2.47 to 2.04 for Conley

Stuckey may get more boards or something, but as far as what a PG needs to do, Conley was better this season with a lesser team, in a more pressure situation, coming off an injury, and is a year younger. Stuckey is going to be a good pro for many years, and will be great for a very good team off the bench with their other recent picks in Afflalo, Maxiel, and Johnson. But Conley is going to be a career starter.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

whys every1 so down on conley now?dont forget that conley is about 2 years younger
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
But look at their teams. Stuckey gets to step on the court with Billups, Prince, Rasheed, and McDyess. Conley gets to step on the court with Miller, Gay, Warrick, and Darko. Stuckey is on a proven veteran team, while Conley plays with young guys and NBA journeymen.

Plus Suckey didn't play for like the first two months of the season, and is no fresher and in a more stable condition. Conley missed the first 2 months of the year because of injury and stepped into one of the more unstable teams in the NBA with all of the Gasol talk.

The other key is the Conley runs the point, while Stuckey really had to play SG with RIP hurt. That is when his time really went up and he could show what he can do.

And my final argument for Conley being the better pro:
Assists: 4.2 to 2.8 for Conley
Shooting: .428 to .401 for Conley
3pt Shooting: .330 to .188 for Conley
A/TO: 2.47 to 2.04 for Conley

Stuckey may get more boards or something, but as far as what a PG needs to do, Conley was better this season with a lesser team, in a more pressure situation, coming off an injury, and is a year younger. Stuckey is going to be a good pro for many years, and will be great for a very good team off the bench with their other recent picks in Afflalo, Maxiel, and Johnson. But Conley is going to be a career starter.

i can uderstand your point and it was very well laid out-nice choice onwhich stats to show

imo you do one of the best jobs on here making smart logical points

but, i still strongly disagree with the main point of this as to who will be better long term-

i believe you are seeing stats the wrong way thinking that getting them with stars like the pistons have is easier- it isnt- when you are with those guys they already have guys used to doing all the work- if you are with the grizzlies it would be way easier to put up numbers,is because sombody has to- its still basketball and its still the nba- your teams going to still score and everything else-

the reason i think stuckeys game and even his stats(which youve shown are lower) are way more impressive are that-

imo conley would barely if at all see the floor if he played for the pistons- given every chance in the world in a free flowing system conley goes for 9&4- imo stuckey would have went atleast 14&6 prob more

stuckey started out as a backup pg, and has played both spots, but you might want to take into account that the starting pg for the pistons is chauncey billups(one of the worlds best)- stuckey will be a starting point gaurd for a long time once he takes the reigns from billups

so i respectfully disagee with you and believe memphis is already in the market for their next starting point gaurd while detroit knows exactly who theirs is- memphis imo does have a good sixth man type as long as their next gaurd is bigger, like a rose, westbrook,bayless or maybe even oj or a fa or trade
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

It will always be a debate as to if it is easier to play with good players or bad players, but in my experiences I strongly feel you get better shots, get better help on D, don't have as much pressure of offense, your weaknesses are easier to hide, and the mistakes you make are easier to overcome. That is just from personal experiences.

It just makes sense that playing with lesser players they turn the ball over more meaning you have less opportunites to get good numbers, they fumble passes which hurts your numbers, they jack up bad shots which hurts your numbers, they get frustrated and make bad plays, and just overall don't play as well as a team. Some guys like playing on bad teams because they can take the ball and just try to put up big numbers like Marbury and Ricky Davis have done during their careers, but I certainly don't think anyone can say that about Conley after just one season.

The thing that really concerns me about Stuckey is that he didn't shoot the ball well. That may just be due to circumstances, but I think that has to be a major concern. Playing with Billups he should have gotten similar shots to what RIP got, but wasn't nearly as effective. I don't know for sure, but I find it hard to believe that they decided he is their future at the point. He had a few good games, but for the most part he just had a decent half a season. He has nice potential at just 21 and will only get better, but outside of a few big games, he didn't have a season you can really brag about. Neither did Conley and I am not saying he is the next Chris Paul or anything, but at this point I think Conley clearly has a brighter future.

Conley also hasn't proven he can play a full 82 game season, but when given a shot at the end of the season he averaged 17/5/5/1.5to/50%/40%3. I wouldn't get rid of both Lowry and Crittenton, but I certainly wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a PG.

I'm just really not sure what else you can expect of a 20 year old PG coming off an injury on a horrible team.

And you can use whatever stats you want, I just picked out the big things that you look for in a PG. Maybe Stuckey gets more rebounds or blocks or whatever, but that in my opinion those aren't things you look at when evaluating a PG.

Last edited by monthh : 04-20-2008 at 12:38 AM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: