Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

Default Sprained Ankle Rehab

To preface this, I have been playing basketball for a few hours a day for the past few years, this is my first sprained ankle since I was about 9 years old (im 22 now). So I sprained my ankle exactly 1 month ago. I never went to the doctor because I know the basics about treating a sprain (I had it iced, elevated and wrapped up for a week) It took me about 1.5 weeks until I could start hobbling around on it again. After 2.5 weeks I was walking like normal, and now, at 4 weeks, it feels pretty good, and I have almost all of my rotational motion back in my ankle.

I would say my ankle is currently at about 75-80%. I am really wanting to get back out on the court, but I can tell when I jump up in the air or shuffle my feet to the sides that my ankle is still rehabbing.

Basically I am just wondering how much longer I should expect to wait until I am at 100%, also, my friend told me I would be much more likely to sprain my ankle again if I started playing before it was at 100%, is there any truth to that?
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
ABPrints
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Sprained Ankle Rehab

If you wanted to wait until it completely healed, you would be waiting awhile, 2 to 6 months for a sprain to completely heal depending on the person...the ankle is always under stress from walking, stairs, running, jumping, landing which is why these heal slow.

I have good results from this
with acute sprains.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Hoopla
Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Sprained Ankle Rehab

My advice is to always wear extra support and to stay away from any particularly strenuous activities (especially ones that involve quick changes in direction).

Your friend is right that you risk further injury by playing before you're better.

__________________________________________________ __________-

Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA
http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: