Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Default Renaldo Balkman knows he can play

http://www.newsday.com/sports/am-ren...orts-headlines

New Knick under the microscope

Knicks' top pick Balkman says he's not concerned about his critics

By Ryan Chatelain

amNewYork Staff Writer

August 15, 2006

Add Renaldo Balkman to the rather large list of those floored when the Knicks selected him with the 20th pick in June's NBA draft.

Even more floored -- literally -- was the plate of food he was eating at a draft-night get-together in his hometown of Tampa, Fla.: Balkman dropped the plate when his name was called.

"Very surprised," Balkman said. "But I never doubted myself."

The now infamous Balkman pick provided even more fodder for the media and fans, who largely already blamed Isiah Thomas for turning the Knicks into more of a punchline than a championship contender as team president.

By the time the Knicks were on the draft clock, UConn point guard Marcus Williams, projected to be a lottery pick, was still on the board and undoubtedly would have been a far more popular choice. Williams was snatched up two spots later by the Nets.

Balkman, meanwhile, was thought to be a late second-round pick at best. He started a little more than half South Carolina's games -- 22 of 38 -- last season and averaged just 25.7 minutes and 9.6 points per contest.

No fault of his own, Balkman will now join the Knicks as one of the team's most closely watched players. Fans and reporters will be curious to see if he lives up to the comparisons Thomas made of him to Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest -- for their intensity and defensive skills, presumably not their antics -- or whether Thomas, who takes over as Knicks coach this season, was indeed out of his gourd, as they initially suspected.

But Balkman, who was born on Staten Island and lived there until he was 2, says he refuses to let the scrutiny get to him. He says he'll focus solely on taking care of business on the court.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me," he said. "I don't have to go out there and prove to nobody that I'm a player. I know I can play."
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

That Last Quote Was TIGHT!!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Tru Baller 209
Can barely lace up my sneakers

It is not going to stop here. Renaldo is going to be under immense scrutiny. Sometimes i think if Mardy was picked with the 20th, and Renaldo was picked with the 29th, people wouldn't be as upset, even though we would have drafted the same two guys...:confused:
Tru Baller 209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Bombay
The Sole Controller

Zeke did the right thing by not selecting Marcus Williams we have too pt guards as it is. I really dont think that the team last year was that bad just never gelled together. Balkman will see more time once jalen is traded around feb
Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru Baller 209
It is not going to stop here. Renaldo is going to be under immense scrutiny. Sometimes i think if Mardy was picked with the 20th, and Renaldo was picked with the 29th, people wouldn't be as upset, even though we would have drafted the same two guys...:confused:

that is so true. but its nothin cause i really think balkman is goin to make a good impact and i think he is goin to be the rotation.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru Baller 209

Not really, at the draft the Knicks fans got on the mic and said they wanted MARCUS WILLIAMS, that is why.
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
Zeke did the right thing by not selecting Marcus Williams we have too pt guards as it is. I really dont think that the team last year was that bad just never gelled together. Balkman will see more time once jalen is traded around feb
You're right. They already have too many guards now.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

enough of the picks, we didnt get marcus williams because we dont need a gaurd, collins is 3 inches taller then williams and plays point to, hes smooth and hits the open shots..balkman is going to shock alot of people
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
HKSVIP
I hit open layups

I just hope Balkman gets some minutes this season. I wanna see what he can do.
HKSVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

-Brings Energy
-Defense
-Athletic
-Really 6'8 With Long Arms
Old 08-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
HKSVIP
I hit open layups

I saw hat during the Rookie Photo Shoot Dinner Renaldo Balkman played NBA Live as the Phoenix Suns not the Knicks. Everybody else used the team they got drafted by except for Renaldo Balkman. Mardy Collins used NYK. But not Renaldo. Maybe there was truth to the Suns wanting to pick him at 21 or 27 but I'm not sure.

Last edited by insidehoops : 01-09-2007 at 06:05 AM.
HKSVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #12
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

it's just a game, i mean he probly knows he wont get the PT he wants so he traded himself on the suns and took diaws spot :)

nah j/k but i dont know why he would do that
Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
Kiss Murder
Decent playground baller

Arrow Reunion...fatty, who's is this?

I hope the Knicks do bad this season, then fire Isiah and clean up...New York is a mess right now..they need a real GM.
Kiss Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Balkman does make things happen. I saw him play in the summer league in Los Vegas . But I do not know how much PT he will get.

I hope Isiah and the Knicks do well. They will be able to build on that. There has been enough losing and chaos IMHO.
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Underated talent, hes going to be like Charlie Villanueva, everyone critized him on draft night and he turned into a really good player.
Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: