Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
ExtremeHops
Kids at the park dunk on me

ExtremeHops has an OK reputation so far
Default Greatest NBA duo in last 20 years?

Jordan-Pippen
Hakeem-Drexler
Robinson-Duncan
Stockton-Malone
Shaq-Kobe

These players were vital to the success of their teams and with the exception of the Utah duo, were the 1st and 2nd options on championship winning teams. Which partnership was the best, considering both ability and achievements?
ExtremeHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Greatest NBA duo in last 20 years?

Jordan/Pippen = most rings, best record ever, most awards, most famous

Jordan/Pippen = Best of the group
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
ExtremeHops

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Jordan/Pippen = most rings, best record ever, most awards, most famous

Jordan/Pippen = Best of the group

I'm not so sure...clearly they have the best record but does that have more to do with Jordan? (yes i realise he only won rings when pippen arrived). Jordan is clearly the best first option, but is pippen the best 2nd option? Is he better than, say Kobe/Robinson/Drexler? Just a thought....
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
omarnyc
Local High School Star

omarnyc has an OK reputation so far

stockton/malone never won a ring
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

+
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
ExtremeHops

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarnyc
stockton/malone never won a ring
yup but as a partnership they were one of the best in recent history
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHops
I'm not so sure...clearly they have the best record but does that have more to do with Jordan? (yes i realise he only won rings when pippen arrived). Jordan is clearly the best first option, but is pippen the best 2nd option? Is he better than, say Kobe/Robinson/Drexler? Just a thought....

Shouldnt the duos be based on their success together not their individual status? Regardless, Pippen is on the same level or very close to all the other second options.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

jordan-pippen
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
ExtremeHops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Shouldnt the duos be based on their success together not their individual status? Regardless, Pippen is on the same level or very close to all the other second options.
fair point
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Interesting duos

1.Jordan/Pippen- SG/SF duo. Jordan was the best scorer/player of all time and one of the best perimeter players of all time. Pippen was a true point forward running the offense like a PG but a great rebounder and an excellent athletic scorer. You can't dominate the perimeter anymore than them. Of course the 6 titles speak for themselves

2.Shaq/Kobe- C/SG duo. The perfect inside outside combination when egos didn't get in the way. Shaq was playing at as high a level as any center in NBA history and Kobe was an excellent all around player. Kobe kind of ran the offense and set up his teammates but he also was an elite perimeter defender and a great scorer. 3 straight titles is very rare but when you have the most dominant low post player and a top 5 SG of all time you accomplish things like that.

3.Hakeem/Drexler- C/SG duo. Not too far behind Shaq and Kobe. Hakeem and Drexler won the 95' title despite being the 6th seed and they stayed competitive for the next few years almost making the finals in 97' with Barkley. Hakeem also was as good as you could imagine being and Clyde was still an elite player. Hakeem was easily the best big man then and he probably had the best post moves ever.

4.Duncan/Robinson C/C duo. The Twin Towers lineup worked great winning a title in just their second season together but Robinson was quite a bit past his prime for most of the time they played together although David was still one of the better big men the first 3 seasons he played with Duncan. Duncan was also so dominant in the twighlight of David's career that he made up somewhat for David's decline. Pretty unique because with 2 dominant defensive centers the paint was protected as well as possibly could have been and they had a nice post combination with David in the high post and Duncan in the low post.

5.Malone/Stockton- PF/PG duo. They played together the longest but because they had so many more chances at a title and never did it I rank them behind the first 3. Malone was still one of the greatest scorers of all time and Stockton is a top 5 point guard of all time but I don't think they were ever as good as Hakeem and Drexler were in 95'.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

michael & scottie is the most versatile and had the longest run of title success (and maybe the best ability to win with virtually any sort of team built around them), but i don't think they had the same amount of overall talent as shaq & kobe. that's two players that absolutely can't be stopped in one on one matchups who attach in very different ways and do a decent job covering for each other's weaknesses. i don't know how you choose one duo or the other, but i definitely don't think it's a slam dunk for either.

i'm such a bulls homer that i can't turn down the combination of two of my favorite players ever, but i think an objective person really might prefer shaq / kobe if the egos could be controlled.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Interesting duos

1.Jordan/Pippen- SG/SF duo. Jordan was the best scorer/player of all time and one of the best perimeter players of all time. Pippen was a true point forward running the offense like a PG but a great rebounder and an excellent athletic scorer. You can't dominate the perimeter anymore than them. Of course the 6 titles speak for themselves

2.Shaq/Kobe- C/SG duo. The perfect inside outside combination when egos didn't get in the way. Shaq was playing at as high a level as any center in NBA history and Kobe was an excellent all around player. Kobe kind of ran the offense and set up his teammates but he also was an elite perimeter defender and a great scorer. 3 straight titles is very rare but when you have the most dominant low post player and a top 5 SG of all time you accomplish things like that.

3.Hakeem/Drexler- C/SG duo. Not too far behind Shaq and Kobe. Hakeem and Drexler won the 95' title despite being the 6th seed and they stayed competitive for the next few years almost making the finals in 97' with Barkley. Hakeem also was as good as you could imagine being and Clyde was still an elite player. Hakeem was easily the best big man then and he probably had the best post moves ever.

4.Duncan/Robinson C/C duo. The Twin Towers lineup worked great winning a title in just their second season together but Robinson was quite a bit past his prime for most of the time they played together although David was still one of the better big men the first 3 seasons he played with Duncan. Duncan was also so dominant in the twighlight of David's career that he made up somewhat for David's decline. Pretty unique because with 2 dominant defensive centers the paint was protected as well as possibly could have been and they had a nice post combination with David in the high post and Duncan in the low post.

5.Malone/Stockton- PF/PG duo. They played together the longest but because they had so many more chances at a title and never did it I rank them behind the first 3. Malone was still one of the greatest scorers of all time and Stockton is a top 5 point guard of all time but I don't think they were ever as good as Hakeem and Drexler were in 95'.

thats how i would vote it
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can see Deron Williams and Boozer being on everyone's list in a couple years.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Magic/Kareem???

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Chris Quinn and Ricky Davis, end of discussion.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: