Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
lemondude
Serious playground baller

Default clutch play overrated?

I been hearing and reading a lot on how some "superstars" take over in the fourth or shoots a high percentage when the game is on the line.

I'm beginning to think it's a bit overrated.

Let say someone like Wade (not hating on him) he pass the ball and "shares" the ball i nthe first three quarters and then shoots all the shots himself in the fourth, and people say he's clutch. I mean if that's not selfish I dont' know wat is. That's basically saying you guys did good, but now where the game is on the line you can all take a backseat so I can take all the glory.

Then there's the last second shot, sure it is the best part of the game when the game is on the line, I really love it. But won't the real superstar make sure their team never gets in to this situation to begin with? wouldn't be better if the other team don't have a chance at all instead of gambling everything on the last shot.

It's just something I been thinking about
lemondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
TheHonestTruth
Banned

Default Re: clutch play overrated?

Clutch play is not overrated.
Players can be overrated.
Manu is clutch.
Kobe is overrated.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
gpfanz
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
Clutch play is not overrated.
Players can be overrated.
Manu is clutch.
Kobe is overrated.

The honest truth
gpfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
tsforthrees
red vines cray

some would argue that the ability to perform well in the clutch is all that matters
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
LutherHeadJob
Local High School Star

last second shots are lucky shots except for 0.5 % (Tmac vs San antonio , Some of Arenas)

Clutch play is a tad overrated, i rather a player who consistently performs well in each quarter, whats the point of going off for 15 points in the last if your team is already down by a massive margin because the star couldn't make a shot earlier?

ideally you get a player who is consistent AND can explode for massive amounts in clutch but not many players does it post Jordan
LutherHeadJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
23airjordan23
Nash 4 MVP

Clutch is the most exciting thing in a nba game .. NOT OVERATED
23airjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
I been hearing and reading a lot on how some "superstars" take over in the fourth or shoots a high percentage when the game is on the line.

I'm beginning to think it's a bit overrated.

Let say someone like Wade (not hating on him) he pass the ball and "shares" the ball i nthe first three quarters and then shoots all the shots himself in the fourth, and people say he's clutch. I mean if that's not selfish I dont' know wat is. That's basically saying you guys did good, but now where the game is on the line you can all take a backseat so I can take all the glory.

Superstars have to be selfish at times. Esp. if the game is on the line. Superstars can win and take over quarters. They cannot do it the whole game which is why they must get other teammates involved. Its not like they are making the other players take a back seast to enjoy the glory. They get the rocck when the game is on the line bc they are superior players. Wouldnt you want the best player w/ the ball if the game is on the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
Then there's the last second shot, sure it is the best part of the game when the game is on the line, I really love it. But won't the real superstar make sure their team never gets in to this situation to begin with? wouldn't be better if the other team don't have a chance at all instead of gambling everything on the last shot.

I dont really get this statement. So your saying the superstar must prevent the other team from being close or what they suck? If a game is close, its not bc the superstar let it get to that point. How can an individual player "make sure" that the game is not close at the end. So pretty much your saying that there is no real superstar bc every player in the league has been in close games. This statement is not logical. Games are close bc elite players are playing against each other.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
High Potential
Best poster ever

Some players, such as Manu, their clutchness is clear for all to see, and can even be told in stats, as seen in the multiple games where he does nothing in three quarters then goes off for 15 points on 5 three pointers in the 4th(one example) and how his free-throw percentage rises in the playoffs and whats more rises EVEN MORE in the 4th.

Others such as Dirk, or Kobe, their clutchness is controversial.

However, Michael Jordan said it best
" I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. "
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
Jorn444Lakers
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Potential
Some players, such as Manu, their clutchness is clear for all to see, and can even be told in stats, as seen in the multiple games where he does nothing in three quarters then goes off for 15 points on 5 three pointers in the 4th(one example) and how his free-throw percentage rises in the playoffs and whats more rises EVEN MORE in the 4th.

Others such as Dirk, or Kobe, their clutchness is controversial.

However, Michael Jordan said it best
" I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. "

I know he's not as "clutch" as jordan, but I've never actually heard of kobe being debated that he doesn't step up in big games. At least that's my definition of clutch.

Maybe I missed a whole debate on that? If that's the case, my bad.
Jorn444Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: