Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #46
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Who Gets Traded???

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjimmy
I would NOT do that trade - Jose Calderon is a good player, I agree, but...NO!!!

Me neither. The Outlaw + a number 13 pick is where I don't agree.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #47
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I'm gonna check salaries cuz I'm lazy but I'd do Jack and the 13th pick for Calderon

If Toronto was smart they would do the deal with Portland now and hope that Portland gets lucky in the lottery again. Not top 3 or even top 6 but maybe 8-12.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #48
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I'm gonna check salaries cuz I'm lazy but I'd do Jack and the 13th pick for Calderon

If Toronto was smart they would do the deal with Portland now and hope that Portland gets lucky in the lottery again. Not top 3 or even top 6 but maybe 8-12.

Hell yeah I'd do that, but the contracts won't match up. Jack makes $1.2 mil while Calderon is going to be between $5-6 mil. Plus, the Raptors wouldn't do that anyway.

Also, the next time trades will be allowed are on draft day, so they can't trade before the outcome of the lottery is decided.

Finally: Blazers can't draw picks 4-12 without a trade. They can get 1, 2, 3, 13, or 14 with the current lottery system. The ping pong balls only decide the top 3 picks, and then the rest of the picks are according to record. For example of how this works, Denver has the best record putting them most likely at 14. But if a miracle happens for them, they will be pushed to 1, 2, or 3 and the rest of the teams would be shifted back. That would then give Portland the best record of the lottery teams that did not draw 1, 2, or 3 so the Blazers will then be dropped back to the 14th pick.

In other words, we are only about as likely to the 14th pick as we are to get one of the top 3 picks, so we are close to 99% likely to get the 13th pick.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #49
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Aww Yeah, I forgot about the stupid lottery thing.

I didn't know they couldn't trade till draft day. Thats dumb. They should be able to trade after the final game of the NBA Finals. I think it would make the off season a lot more interesting.

Ok, I'll stir up a good trade...uno momento LOL

Uhh...nothing that great

I just looked at NBADraft.net. I know, they suck but they got me extremely excited. They have Portland selecting Russell Westbrook out of UCLA. The back up to Collison. IMO, he has more upside than Collison and he is also a tall point guard with good defense, handles, passing ability but not very strong but that will probably chage. If Portland could get Oden back up to 275 after he's back in shape then I think they can get this 185 pound kid up to a chizzled 200 pounds.

I still say screw Calderon. He would be a great addition if we could do it but if Toronto wants Outlaw and a first round pick then skip him. There are enough talented young point guards in the draft.

Derrick Rose
Jerryd Bayless
Russell Westbrook
DJ Augustin
Mario Chalmers
Ty Lawson

All have the ability to be stars at the next level.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #50
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Thanks for the Lottery Lesson - Myth - I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember the exact details.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #51
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjimmy
Thanks for the Lottery Lesson - Myth - I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember the exact details.

No problem. The specifics aren't talked about a whole lot so its an easy thing for even hardcore basketball fans to overlook.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #52
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Hell yeah I'd do that, but the contracts won't match up. Jack makes $1.2 mil while Calderon is going to be between $5-6 mil. Plus, the Raptors wouldn't do that anyway.

Also, the next time trades will be allowed are on draft day, so they can't trade before the outcome of the lottery is decided.

Finally: Blazers can't draw picks 4-12 without a trade. They can get 1, 2, 3, 13, or 14 with the current lottery system. The ping pong balls only decide the top 3 picks, and then the rest of the picks are according to record. For example of how this works, Denver has the best record putting them most likely at 14. But if a miracle happens for them, they will be pushed to 1, 2, or 3 and the rest of the teams would be shifted back. That would then give Portland the best record of the lottery teams that did not draw 1, 2, or 3 so the Blazers will then be dropped back to the 14th pick.

In other words, we are only about as likely to the 14th pick as we are to get one of the top 3 picks, so we are close to 99% likely to get the 13th pick.

I meant Golden State. I mix them up because they both have thugs and use small ball.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #53
Molson
Great young streetballer

You guys don't really think Coangelo would trade Calderon for JJ and a 13th pick?

The talk is more along the lines of a player the caliber of Maggette for Calderon and you think they woudl take a backup pg and a pick that is in the range of picks that traditionally doesn;t produce starters in the NBA.

Calderon is easily in the top 15 pg's in the league. There is zero chance JJ and a 13th pick gets that done.

Have some of you guys even watched Calderon play?
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #54
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
You guys don't really think Coangelo would trade Calderon for JJ and a 13th pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Plus, the Raptors wouldn't do that anyway.

I can't speak for the others, but I didn't think that Colangelo would.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: