Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Ring#7 has an OK reputation so far
Default If you were the GM, What would you do?

If I were the GM I would first find a good, well rounded coach (defense and offense) before the NBA draft. Second on draft night I would try to swap a trade for derrick Rose. Though unlikely, I'd still try. Besides Deng, I would let all the free agents go to free agency. I would offer Deng a 5yr 50mil contract seeing as how thats what he's worth. I would trade Noc and something else for Richard jefferson. If the trade for Rose didnt work out, I would trade Hinrich for Andre Miller. In free angency I would like for a strong capable center to back up Noah, and a veteran point gaurd to back up Rose or Miller. After all the pieces are put in place the team would look something like this:
New Coach
starters Bench
c-Noah c-FA, Aaron Gray
pf-Thomas pf-Gooden
sf-Jefferson sf-Thabo
sg-Deng sg-Hughes
pg-Rose or Miller pg-FA

It's not perfect, but the team is now well rounded and ready for development with plenty of minutes to go around for everyone. If you have any ideas feel free to share them.
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: If you were the GM, What would you do?

I'd try and trade Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich for Jermaine O'Neal and draft a good PG or I'd try and trade Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and a draft pick for Elton Brand.

First lineup would be...

C: Noah/Gray
PF: Jermaine O'Neal/Drew Gooden
SF: Andres Nocioni/Tyrus Thomas
SG: Sefolosha/Luol Deng
PG: ?/Larry Hughes

Second lineup...

PF: Elton Brand/Drew Gooden
SF: Luol Deng/Nocioni
SG: Sefolosha/?
PG: Kirk Hinrich/Larry Hughes

I'd see how Sefolosha works out at SG but I'd rather sign or trade for a new SG all together. But out of those two lineups I like the second one the best. Elton Brand just showed he can still put up really solid numbers.

Last edited by ConanRulesNBC : 04-20-2008 at 01:28 PM.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
I'd try and trade Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich for Jermaine O'Neal and draft a good PG or I'd try and trade Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and a draft pick for Elton Brand.

First lineup would be...

SF: Andres Nocioni/Tyrus Thomas
SG: Sefolosha/Luol Deng
PG: ?/Larry Hughes

Second lineup...

PF: Elton Brand/Drew Gooden
SF: Luol Deng/Nocioni
SG: Sefolosha/?
PG: Kirk Hinrich/Larry Hughes

I'd see how Sefolosha works out at SG but I'd rather sign or trade for a new SG all together. But out of those two lineups I like the second one the best. Elton Brand just showed he can still put up really solid numbers.

Nice rosters Conan. My only argument is with the first one. There's too many shooting gaurds and no point gaurds. Hughes and thabo can play it occassionaly depending on the matchups, but we still would need a real point gaurd. I could live with the second roster though..
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Oh no... I put ? then Larry Hughes coming off the bench. I put the ? because I'm not sure who'd they draft to play PG.

Edit: Actually for the first lineup I wonder how something like this would work out...

SF: Tyrus Thomas/Andres Nocioni
SG: Luol Deng/Sefolosha
PG: ?

Last edited by ConanRulesNBC : 04-20-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Quote:
Oh no... I put ? then Larry Hughes coming off the bench. I put the ? because I'm not sure who'd they draft to play PG.

Edit: Actually for the first lineup I wonder how something like this would work out...

I understand now. We both seem to agree that Deng should be placed at 2 gaurd. I think the bulls realized this as well, thats why they had him playing it at preseason. Also, I too think Thomas would be better suited at Small foward. I actually like your roster better than my own, because this way we dont have to split up the team and still be balanced. But one question remains, whos gonna be the point gaurd? I just dont think Hinrich is our answer. He's too much of a pu$$y.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Quote:

I understand now. We both seem to agree that Deng should be placed at 2 gaurd. I think the bulls realized this as well, thats why they experimented playing him at that position back in preseason. Also, I too think Thomas would be better suited at Small foward. By doing that, forget about Jefferson alltogether. I actually like your roster better than my own, because this way we dont have to split up the team and still be balanced. But one question remains, whos gonna be the point gaurd? I just dont think Hinrich is our answer. He's too much of a pu$$y.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Stay away from Jermaine O'neal. You're good boys, and I don't want you hanging around a bad influence like him. You've been warned. Stay away.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Stay away from Jermaine O'neal. You're good boys, and I don't want you hanging around a bad influence like him. You've been warned. Stay away.

Your right, we should chase Brand instead. But then again we could use JO's bad boy persona. Our team is overloaded with pu$$ys!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: If you were the GM, What would you do?

The problem with trying to trade for a superstar now is that every players' value is at an all-time low. I had no problem last summer trading for KG or Kobe, because they are top 5 in the league, but nobody available this summer is a top 5 player. To get Brand or JO, we would need to give up about the same asking price as it was for KG last year. If Paxson wouldn't pull the trigger for him, there is no way he will trade for either of these two.

I think he will have to hang on to everybody for another year or two, try to dump salaries, and get enough cap space to lure a top 5 player as a FA in a couple years. Kobe, Lebron, or Wade would do. We need at least one guy, preferably two, that can take over a game. Right now, nobody on the Bulls fits that bill. Look at Boston, LA, Detroit, and San Antonio, just to name a few. They have two or three legitimate superstars that can take over games, and they are the favorites to win it all. The Bulls need to find a way to get some guys like that on their team. It doesn't matter if you sacrifice some talent now for a guy in the latter stages of his prime that can still give you 3-5 great years. You need someone you can build around.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Crazy Style has an OK reputation so far

Elton Brand and Baron Davis are both free agents and it looks like they might want to change teams. Don't know if it's possible, but what if the Bulls got both players in probably what would have to be a sign and trade?

Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, and this years first round pick for Elton Brand and an 08' second round pick.

Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, and next years first round pick for Baron Davis and a filler.

It would be tough to give up this years and next years first round picks, but it should be enough to pull in such great players, I'm sure it would be well worth it, especially since Paxson hasn't been that good with his draft selections lately, plus this team is the youngest team in the entire NBA so it would make sense to stop adding multiple rookies, get serious and add some experience on this team.

Lineup would look something like this:

PG: Baron Davis, Kirk Hinrich, JamesOn Curry
SG: Larry Hughes,Thabo Sefolosha, Shannon Brown
SF: Luol Deng, (own 08' second round pick)
PF: Elton Brand, Drew Gooden
C: Joakim Noah, Aaron Gray (L.A.'s second round pick)

That would give the Bulls a 13 man roster which in my mind is perfect.

Thabo would often switch around from 2 gaurd and small forward. Curry and Brown wouldn't play much, but the team would have nice depth and they're decent backups if someone were to get injured. Also, if either Hinrich were to not play well or not accept his role on the team with Baron Davis taking up plenty of minutes, I would seriously consider trading him for an 09' first round pick in next years off season, perhaps with that pick draft a PG who can very possibly be our starter for the future.

The team would still have plenty of youth and as a result the team could stay intact for many years and be successful. It would be sweet to see what Davis and Brand could offer to this team. Such a team could reach greatness really quick. Anything less than 52-55 wins the first year together would be a huge dissapointment, especially in the East.
Crazy Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Quote:

I'd start Sefolosha over Hughes but with that team... they'd dominate the east. With the right coach I think that team would be right up there with the Celtics.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Style

That would give the Bulls a 13 man roster which in my mind is perfect.

I don't think that would work out cap-wise. Deng will probably get a contract between $8-10 million/year, Hughes is already at $13 million, Hinrich is at $10 million, and Gooden is at $7 million. That's $38-40 million right there. If the cap increases the same percentage as last year, it will be at $58.24 million next season. Davis and Brand will probably be asking for about $15 million/year, which would put us above the limit if you factor in the rest of the roster. Paxson has not gone over the cap in previous years, and I doubt he would start now. It's a great idea, and I would love to see these guys on the Bulls, but we wouldn't be able to keep Deng, and we would probably have to trade Hinrich and/or Hughes. I don't see anyone wanting Hughes, and we wouldn't get full value for Kirk.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

How long are Gooden and Hughes' contracts? If they expire after next season couldn't the Bulls look to trade them to a team that is looking for expiring contracts?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
How long are Gooden and Hughes' contracts? If they expire after next season couldn't the Bulls look to trade them to a team that is looking for expiring contracts?

Gooden's has one year left, Hughes has two. That's going to be one monster expirer in the '09-'10 season.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
I'd start Sefolosha over Hughes but with that team... they'd dominate the east. With the right coach I think that team would be right up there with the Celtics.

I agree - either Sefolosha or Kirk. Davis and Hughes would be a chuckfest...kind of like Gordon and Hughes.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: