Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Default How do you guys feel about Okur?

Title says it all.

Do you like him or not?
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Xiao Yao
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: How do you guys feel about Okur?

He's good for what he is. He is a good match for Boozer at the offensive end. Would be better if he could post up when Boozer is away from the basket though. Defensively they aren't a good match though and you will only go so far with him as your center. He's more of a PF.
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Cowhide hits hom
I airball my layups

He has been a bit of a project that has probably been worth it. They did pay for it though. The old clique' "you can't teach size" is a term that could be used here. They took him as a tall outside shooter and he is working on his other skills... and is getting better. His rebounding has gotten better, foot work, dribble drive, and his defense. Though as said his defense is still is liability.
If I had to guess I don't think he has played ball as a kid, because once in a while...not so much now.... but once in a while one will notice he lacks a fundemental basic of basketball skill, like he made it on his height and outside shooting alone.
Cowhide hits hom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

I love the way Memo has tried to change/elevate his game & that's all you can ask.
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
JazzDoc
Decent playground baller

Besides his disappearing act last night, I've been impressed with him, especially of late. His defense isn't amazing, but neither is Boozer's. I think he's actually a huge part of the offense even if he doesn't touch the ball. Opposing teams aren't going to leave him open beyond the 3 to double-team somebody. He opens up the offense for both Deron and Boozer. I'm not going to complain about Memo after so many years with Ostertag, Felton Spencer, Greg Foster, Olden Polynice, etc, etc.
JazzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
rdogg1026
I airball my layups

I think Memo has positives and negatives about him. His defense isn't superb but he does do a good job at creating open looks for Boozer and Deron. I also think he will be a huge advantage for the Jazz if they play the Suns because Shaq will need to cover him outside the paint which he does not do a good job doing.
rdogg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Cowhide hits hom
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdogg1026
Shaq will need to cover him outside the paint which he does not do a good job doing.

lol Yep, still can't believe Duncan decided to go outside and then can't believe he got the ball on the 3 point line and even harder to believe he made it!!!

... Okurs a great advantage for the Jazz if we match up with the suns.
Cowhide hits hom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Okur is great.

AK, Boozer, Okur, and Williams have all taken their turn carrying the Jazz through months at a time.

Okur has some great strengths.
-Obviously, the three point shot, which also converts well into a running jump shot, free throws, plus has some clutch element there.
-He has a better post game than people think.
-Has a nose for the offensive rebound.
-Excellent post defender. I like him guarding Duncan, Yao, Jefferson and the like.

He has some weaknesses too
-Can't stop anyone shorter than 6'10 in the paint. These he fouls and gives up and ones to.
-He relies too much on rebounding instincts (where the ball will bounce) and forgets to go to the good old fashioned box out strategy.

I have been very happy with him. I wish we had a defensive center to back him up.

I think after the player option, Utah won't be able to pay Okur enough and he will go to play PF for somebody. I will miss him of it happens, but I think it is the most likely scenario.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
New Jazzy Nets
New Uni's 2010-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario

He has some weaknesses too
-Can't stop anyone shorter than 6'10 in the paint. These he fouls and gives up and ones to.

Okur always matches up with the teams bigman, he did a great job on yao and TD last year. and he hasnt really been tested this year. In all likelihood he will get a chance against pau, but first we have to focus on the rockets.
New Jazzy Nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jazzy Nets
Okur always matches up with the teams bigman, he did a great job on yao and TD last year. and he hasnt really been tested this year. In all likelihood he will get a chance against pau, but first we have to focus on the rockets.

Its a good thing I have nothing to do with the Jazz organization, because I am already calling the Houston series over. That is what opens the door to lose a lock series.

Anyway, Okur of Pau should be nice. I love how Memo closes the space when a post player pivots away from the hoop. They usually expect to be able to pivot back strong to bump and create space, but Okur is always right there ready for 'em. The footwork isn't bad either. Pau does have a good faceup game and jumper though. We will see.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
Xiao Yao
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
His rebounding has gotten better

Not sure about that. He averaged more 3 seasons ago. I imagine Boozer being healthy and the addition of Milsap has something to do with that though. His offensive rebounding was better with the Pistons too.

Quote:
His defense isn't amazing, but neither is Boozer's.

And that's a problem.

Quote:
I'm not going to complain about Memo after so many years with Ostertag, Felton Spencer, Greg Foster, Olden Polynice

There's more to the game than shooting 3's.

Quote:
Shaq will need to cover him outside the paint which he does not do a good job doing

Probably be Amare assuming Okur stays out of foul trouble against. Shaq and Amare.

Quote:
even harder to believe he made it

Not as hard to believe as it would be for most bigs.He doesn't generally shoot them but he can shoot.

Quote:
He has a better post game than people think.

After watching him being unable to post up a guy half a foot shorter than him(Hayes) in last year's playoffs I'd say he's pretty weak in that area.

Quote:
I think after the player option, Utah won't be able to pay Okur enough and he will go to play PF for somebody.

He might not last that long. Someone has to go in next couple of years to pay Deron and he's one of the most likely to go. He'd fit nicely in a place like Orlando or GS.
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
After watching him being unable to post up a guy half a foot shorter than him(Hayes) in last year's playoffs I'd say he's pretty weak in that area.

He's definately improved his post up game this season. Early in the year his outside shot wasn't falling at all, so he worked on his post up game a lot.
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
He's definately improved his post up game this season. Early in the year his outside shot wasn't falling at all, so he worked on his post up game a lot.

I really think he can play both high and low post now.
High post, he has such a good off balance jumper that he can pivot around and shoot on the rotation.
Low post, he does a good job at reversing his movement to get a look at the basket. The problem here though it upper body strength. I remember him taking Oberto to the hole, spin for the dunk, only to get swatted by Duncan. That said though, if too much time in the weight room means loosing some of the three point consistency I don't mind him staying as he is.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
patigree
Decent playground baller

lol i don't know why guys like nowitzki and okur don't play sg
i mean almost every position has many size miss-matches
Let boozer play center, kirilenko pf, brewer sf, and okur sg lol
patigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
New Jazzy Nets
New Uni's 2010-2011

Okur can play inside and thats what were loving about him he's actually taking it inside now.
New Jazzy Nets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: