Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.
Default Former 2005 Prep Star Keith Brumbaugh Enters NBA Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...483&type=story

Saturday, April 19, 2008
Former top prep recruit Brumbaugh to enter NBA draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Keith Brumbaugh was a top-notch college prospect in 2005, but off-court problems derailed his NBA dream. After a one-year stint as the top scorer on the junior college level, Brumbaugh informed officials Friday that he plans on entering the NBA draft.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, a formal news conference is tentatively scheduled for Monday in which Brumbaugh will announce that he is skipping his remaining years of juco eligibility to turn pro. According to the newspaper, USC, South Florida, Connecticut and Ohio State had shown interest in Brumbaugh.

Brumbaugh, 22, was named Florida's "Mr. Basketball" in 2005 after a standout career at DeLand High and signed with Oklahoma State out of high school. He never played for the Cowboys and left the team after the winter break in 2005 due to eligibility issues surrounding an ACT score.

After leaving Oklahoma State, Brumbaugh was at Chipola Junior College in Pensacola, but never played for them. He finally landed at Tampa's Hillsborough Community College last season and led the juco ranks in scoring while drawing a steady stream of NBA scouts to most of his games. Brumbaugh, 6-foot-9 and 205 pounds, averaged 36.5 points, 10 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 4.8 steals at HCC and will likely be a second-round pick.

"They all say he can play," HCC Coach Derrick Worrels told the newspaper of the pro scouts evaluating Brumbaugh. "The questions they have are mainly, 'What do we have to concern ourselves with outside the court?' "

Brumbaugh was arrested six times over a 26-month span and also served two jail sentences, but he says he's learned from his mistakes.

"I've made some stupid decisions in my life -- and with decisions come consequences," Brumbaugh told the Sentinel. "But I've paid my debt to society, I'm back on track and looking to the future, not the past."

"He's been extremely pre-occupied with thoughts of the NBA," Worrels told the St. Petersburg Times. "He wasn't far off as far as the grades he needed to play somewhere next season, but if the classroom isn't a priority to him, this is the best thing for him."

Once Brumbaugh officially enters the draft, he will begin working toward the NBA pre-draft camp that starts May 27 at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando.

"It was just a minute ago that nobody ever thought I'd play basketball again," Brumbaugh told the Sentinel. "Now my name is stronger than it was two weeks ago. And two weeks from now it'll be stronger than it is today because I am going to keep doing the right thing."

Glad he got his act together.
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Former 2005 Prep Star Keith Brumbaugh Enters NBA Draft

I read about this. I remember hearing him being praised before joining OSU a few years ago and reading an article that mentioned him and Brandon Rush as top recruits together. I didn't know he fell off this much, but I think he's definitly worth a look at teams in the 2nd round and could be a definite steal possibility.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I thought this guy was going to be a huge star coming out of high school, but I forgot all about him. He did enter the draft after high school, right? I remember hoping the Rockets would get him. I can't comment on where he should go or how good he is at this point, but based on what he was like out of high school and his numbers in Juco, he still seems to have some star potential. Of course the off the court stuff will be everything for him. I hope he can stay out of trouble because he could be a good NBA player.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Yeah he could be a 2nd round steal but we don't even know how well he would've done in D1.

At this point hes really just a 22 Year Old HS Sr.

He hasnt proven enough on the college level and he seems to be living off of his high school career.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: