Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Esco_NYK4life
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Esco_NYK4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Webber to Knicks

Knicks mulled Webber deal

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

By STEVE ADAMEK
STAFF WRITER

Chris Webber, still hampered by the aftermath of microfracture knee surgery at 33, is due more than $42 million over the next two seasons -- a perfect fit for the Knicks' seemingly infinite budget.

The five-time All-Star could also fit the win-or-else mandate president/coach Isiah Thomas faces this season, but initial discussions haven't produced a fit to send Webber to New York.

Still, the 76ers have approached the Knicks (and anyone else willing to listen) about Webber, league sources say, but weren't offered enough to make the kind of deal they've sought to shake up things this summer after several Allen Iverson scenarios fell through.

The package offered by Thomas, who is on vacation this week and could not be reached Tuesday, starts with Quentin Richardson (with his back issues and $33.8 million over four seasons left on his contract) and Maurice Taylor (whose $9.75 million contract expires after this season).

For the necessary salary-cap match, the Knicks would have to send more to Philadelphia to take on the $20 million Webber makes next season. So they'd likely try to include another albatross salary, such as the two years and $13.7 million owed to Philadelphia native Malik Rose or the four years and $24 million still due to Jerome James.

Webber-to-the-Knicks talk, however, is nothing new as he's been on their radar screen since before he re-signed as a free agent with Sacramento five years ago.

Last season, he averaged 20.2 points and 9.9 rebounds in 75 games as the Sixers failed to make the playoffs in his and Iverson's first full season together. Thus, team president Billy King has vowed to change the Sixers' culture.

He couldn't complete deals that would have sent Iverson to Boston, Denver or Atlanta, so now he's looking to move Webber, who turns 34 in March. And although Webber's knee severely limits his mobility, in New York he would join Eddy Curry and Channing Frye in a three-man rotation at power forward and center.

If the Sixers and Knicks can make a match, that is, or King can't find a better offer elsewhere.

ROBINSON'S DEAL OFFICIAL: The Nets officially re-signed soon-to-be 40-year-old big man Clifford Robinson to a $1.5 million deal for this season and a partially guaranteed option for 2007-08. Once former Phoenix guard Eddie House passes his physical later this week, they expect to finalize his one-year $1.5 million deal.

The signing and buyout of big man Mile Ilic, however, likely won't take place until after this month's world championship tournament in which he's playing for Serbia and Montenegro, team officials and Ilic's agent said.

E-mail: adamek@northjersey.com
Esco_NYK4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco_NYK4life
Knicks mulled Webber deal

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

By STEVE ADAMEK
STAFF WRITER

Chris Webber, still hampered by the aftermath of microfracture knee surgery at 33, is due more than $42 million over the next two seasons -- a perfect fit for the Knicks' seemingly infinite budget.

The five-time All-Star could also fit the win-or-else mandate president/coach Isiah Thomas faces this season, but initial discussions haven't produced a fit to send Webber to New York.

Still, the 76ers have approached the Knicks (and anyone else willing to listen) about Webber, league sources say, but weren't offered enough to make the kind of deal they've sought to shake up things this summer after several Allen Iverson scenarios fell through.

The package offered by Thomas, who is on vacation this week and could not be reached Tuesday, starts with Quentin Richardson (with his back issues and $33.8 million over four seasons left on his contract) and Maurice Taylor (whose $9.75 million contract expires after this season).

For the necessary salary-cap match, the Knicks would have to send more to Philadelphia to take on the $20 million Webber makes next season. So they'd likely try to include another albatross salary, such as the two years and $13.7 million owed to Philadelphia native Malik Rose or the four years and $24 million still due to Jerome James.

Webber-to-the-Knicks talk, however, is nothing new as he's been on their radar screen since before he re-signed as a free agent with Sacramento five years ago.

Last season, he averaged 20.2 points and 9.9 rebounds in 75 games as the Sixers failed to make the playoffs in his and Iverson's first full season together. Thus, team president Billy King has vowed to change the Sixers' culture.

He couldn't complete deals that would have sent Iverson to Boston, Denver or Atlanta, so now he's looking to move Webber, who turns 34 in March. And although Webber's knee severely limits his mobility, in New York he would join Eddy Curry and Channing Frye in a three-man rotation at power forward and center.

If the Sixers and Knicks can make a match, that is, or King can't find a better offer elsewhere.

ROBINSON'S DEAL OFFICIAL: The Nets officially re-signed soon-to-be 40-year-old big man Clifford Robinson to a $1.5 million deal for this season and a partially guaranteed option for 2007-08. Once former Phoenix guard Eddie House passes his physical later this week, they expect to finalize his one-year $1.5 million deal.

The signing and buyout of big man Mile Ilic, however, likely won't take place until after this month's world championship tournament in which he's playing for Serbia and Montenegro, team officials and Ilic's agent said.

E-mail: adamek@northjersey.com

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
WHAT THE **** IS ISIAH THINKING? WE DONT NEED HIM!
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Bump!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

isaih thomas is not goin to trade for webber there is no way.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

He made the offer.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Esco_NYK4life
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Esco_NYK4life has an OK reputation so far

I hope Zeke doesn't do it either. But you never know with him. Since he the coach now, i hope he has a smart plan
Esco_NYK4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
defmut
I hit open layups

defmut has an OK reputation so far

Zeke is going bananas!!!
defmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Big C
I brick open layups

Big C has an OK reputation so far

There is no Webber deal that is going to go down.
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Supafly79
I airball my layups

Supafly79 has an OK reputation so far

Isiah is not goin to trade for an old Chris Webber. He is goin to wait and see whats goin to happen with the Twolves this season. For the first time Garnett vented on management in Minnesnowta stating that he was not content with the way the roster is currently constructed. He stated that if there is no improvement toward them tryin to bring a championship, he wants out. He also said he missed not playin with Steph. We got two huge expiring contracts in J. Rose and Taylor that would match Garnett's which other teams don't have. This would give the Twolves the cap flexiblility to go after the top free agents in 2007. If Zeke pulls this out New York would be the team to beat not just in the East but the whole NBA. Garnett is real thirsty for a championship right now. Imagine this starting five.

PG Marbury
SG Crawford/ Francis
SF Jeffries
PF Garnett
C Curry
Supafly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
mr. chew
I hit open layups

mr. chew has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. chew
I agree, i think the right move is to let them expire. We look like we may be on the boarder of the lottery and the 8th playoff spot. (playing just under .500 will probably get you an 8th spot). If we're able to compete, you know zeke will pull his itchy trigger finger and make a deal. Something tells me that he may package those two for Garnett and some throw-ins(eddie griffin & bracey wright would work under the CBA), especially if the Wolves have a terrible start to their season. It would just be up to the Wolves to part ways with him.

I just hope its not K-Mart. Please dont give me K-Mart zeke. PLEASE!

Supafly read my mind. I wrote that post in another subject.
I really think thats what Zeke is doing. Finally, a sensible fan.
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
SuperboyXX0018
Banned

SuperboyXX0018 has an OK reputation so far

Webber doesn't fit into our offensive plans.
SuperboyXX0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

ill take him and give up mo, q rich, malik and then resign qyntel
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
defmut
I hit open layups

defmut has an OK reputation so far

Instead of Webber, Zeke should go after Iverson. What he wants with Webber and his bad knees I have no idea. Knicks have all the $$$ in the world anyway.
defmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
isaih thomas is not goin to trade for webber there is no way.
Yeah, they have a packed roster full of players who are still developing and maturing.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

KnicksFan4Life has an OK reputation so far

I'd give up those clowns/suck ups for Webber. He can still score/rebound, and even with his bad knee he still played 75 games last year. Once he expires, we just better not resign him.
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: