Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Default Evaluating BenGordan

You know, I been thinking lately. With all the talk about Trades, and draft picks, and the upside of Thomas, Deng, and Noah. It seems like everyone is dismissing Gordan future with the team entirely. Is he really such a burden? Maybe he's just another victim of the circumstances. So this thread is all about evaluating Ben Gordan. Lets begin with the positives. Like everyone else on the team, he's still young and full of potential. After an impressive performance in college he was the number 3 pick in the 2004 draft. He was also a strong runner up for rookie of the year. It was just a year ago he was projected to be a star in this league. he's been the star of this team for the last couple of years now. Every season he's led us in FG's made. He's also 3rd in the NBA in freethrow percentage. He has a history of clutch performances, and he's single handedly won a ton of games for the bulls. he has a positive attitude, a great team player, he's in excelent shape, and arguably the best work ethic on the team. his jumper has been compared other stars such as RayAllen and GlenRice. So whats the problem? He's short. at 6'3 he should be a point gaurd but he's been played as a shooting gaurd. His height has everything to do with his troubles. He just isnt tall enough to gaurd the bigger faster 2gaurds. This season people had high expectations for him, and he couldnt live up to the hype. Does that automatically qualify him as trade bate. he's in the same boat as deng, but people are infinately quicker to give Deng a pass when Gordan's been the better man. I think the solution to Gordan is we need a coach that can train him to be a point gaurd. I'd hate to see Gordan leave after having accomplished so much. I may be alone in this, but i still believe Gordan can be a star. What do you guys think Gordans fate should be?
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
bulls0704
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Evaluating BenGordan

The negatives tend to outweigh the positives on Ben Gordon. He was very successful in his first few years but that was mostly as a bench player against second string guys. He still can get hot and put up some points every once in a while. That is about all he can do. He has proven he is a one dimensional player. He can only play the offensive side of the ball and he can't do that against all teams. Teams have figured out how to defend him. If you trap him or get him to pick up the dribble he will make mistakes and throw bad passes and turn the ball over. He is undersized and when his pressured he make mistakes. He also had a lot of trouble with his dribble at times this year and losing the ball. If he goes up against any team with good balanced guards he will score points but his lack of defense will allow the other teams guards to put up more than he scores therefore making it a waste.

The reason Deng gets a pass is he has proven he can play both sides of the ball and had some injuries and did not have a great year. He became much more aggressive attacking the hoop the end of the year though and if he keeps that up he will have a better year next year.
bulls0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Post Re: Evaluating BenGordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls0704
The negatives tend to outweigh the positives on Ben Gordon. He was very successful in his first few years but that was mostly as a bench player against second string guys. He still can get hot and put up some points every once in a while. That is about all he can do. He has proven he is a one dimensional player. He can only play the offensive side of the ball and he can't do that against all teams. Teams have figured out how to defend him. If you trap him or get him to pick up the dribble he will make mistakes and throw bad passes and turn the ball over. He is undersized and when his pressured he make mistakes. He also had a lot of trouble with his dribble at times this year and losing the ball. If he goes up against any team with good balanced guards he will score points but his lack of defense will allow the other teams guards to put up more than he scores therefore making it a waste.

I think you said it perfectly. There is no way Paxson can justify giving a long-term deal to a one-dimensional player with no upside. I really don't think Gordon can get better. He will score his 20 points/game, but he won't get any assists, won't rebound, his turnovers won't go down, and his defense can't get better because his problems are height and lateral quickness. If other teams want to take a chance on him, that's fine, but I don't want the Bulls to give him a big contract just because he can score.

As for clutch, he has missed more potential game-winning shots in the last four years than Jordan made in his entire career (not really, but you get the message). He struggles under pressure because he tries to take it upon himself to do everything instead of relying on teammates to help out. Until he becomes more of a team player, he will never have a chance to become an elite player.

And the reason he has made the most shots is because he takes the most shots...by a landslide. Now, if he was making the most shots and had a FG% higher than 43%, then you can use that in your argument.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
I think you said it perfectly. There is no way Paxson can justify giving a long-term deal to a one-dimensional player with no upside. I really don't think Gordon can get better. He will score his 20 points/game, but he won't get any assists, won't rebound, his turnovers won't go down, and his defense can't get better because his problems are height and lateral quickness. If other teams want to take a chance on him, that's fine, but I don't want the Bulls to give him a big contract just because he can score.

As for clutch, he has missed more potential game-winning shots in the last four years than Jordan made in his entire career (not really, but you get the message). He struggles under pressure because he tries to take it upon himself to do everything instead of relying on teammates to help out. Until he becomes more of a team player, he will never have a chance to become an elite player.

And the reason he has made the most shots is because he takes the most shots...by a landslide. Now, if he was making the most shots and had a FG% higher than 43%, then you can use that in your argument.

I have no argument. I was simply trying to see how people felt towards Gordan as a player. There is no right or wrong. I think at this point everyone feels the same, and to me he just hasn't shown enough improvement to prove anybody wrong. He's a fool for turning down his extension because he may never get that kind of opportunity again. I'm just trying to look at Ben in a different light. No matter how I see him, he's just not a good fit for the team. The only role I can see him contributing affectively is 6th man off the bench. I would like to see him remain on the team for that purpose if Nocioni gets traded. But then we still have hughes and Sefolosha. You cant really count on Hughes all the time, but sefolosha makes Hinrich, Hughes, and Gordan all expandable. I think Gordan is only worth a contract of about 20mil. But we all know he likely wont except that offer. But if he takes the 1year QO, he may be worth keeping around a little longer as a last ditch effort to prove his worth. It would be his last chance for greatness. Having said that, the 1year QO is his best bet.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Post Re: Evaluating BenGordan

I'm all for keeping Gordon on board if he learns what his role is, accepts a contract that reflects that role, and doesn't try to be MJ every time he touches the ball. I would give him two years with a club option for a third at about $6 million/year and tell him to take it or leave it. If anybody else wants him, I would be glad to work out a S&T. The only problem is that everyone else knows he isn't worth as much as Paxson thinks he is.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Well then, its been settled. Ben Gordan is an official bust. This thread ended alot quicker than I thought it would. No love for Gordan in the CHI. Unless he excepts a 1 or 2 year QO for a max of 6mil a year coming off the bench, he's history. I didnt expect a ton of replies on this post. It just goes to show how people truly feel about little Ben. One thing I know for sure. If someone offered me a 50mil contract I wouldnt turn it down. I wish Gordan good luck, and maybe goodbuy from a bulls fan.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Ring#7
I brick open layups

[quote=Ring#7]Well then, its been settled. Ben Gordan is an official bust. This thread ended alot quicker than I thought it would. No love for Gordan in the CHI. Unless he excepts a 1 or 2 year QO for a max of 6mil a year coming off the bench, he's history. I didnt expect a ton of replies on this post. It just goes to show how people truly feel about little Ben. One thing I know for sure. If someone offered me a 50mil contract I wouldnt turn it down. I wish Gordan good luck, and maybe goodbuy from a bulls fan. Any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: