Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far
Default Devin Harris

What can we expect from Harris this season? I've heard a little talk of Jason Terry splitting time between the 1 and 2 to give Harris an opportunity to develop as the team's PG.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

10-15 a game this season if hes startting.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

He averaged 9.9 last season. He only played 56 games during the regular season so I think he might have gotten it into honest double figures. Terry might get some time at the two, but I don't think it's a given yet that Devin will always be the point when that happens. A lot of it's going to be on Devin himself. The potential talk is nice, but the clock is ticking. It's his third year, time to stay healthy and show improvement on the court. Hopefully he gained some confidence from his playoff run last year and will build on that.

He has the speed to penetrate and get to the rim, but needs to work on his mid-range and outside shot. The way he gets in the lane when there is an opening, a little teardrop shot would be the perfect thing for him to develop. Also as evidenced in the Finals, he needs to work on his finishing once he gets to the rim as well.

How well Devin does this year will say a lot about his future with the Mavericks.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
MFFL
I airball my layups

MFFL has an OK reputation so far

I truly think Harris is gonna shine this season. I hope he improves on his consistency. If he does that, he's gonna be a force to weckon with.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation

I think Anthony Johnson will have a big role with the team so that may take some time away from Harris. Now, if Harris messes up, Avery actually has a real option to go to in Johnson.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

Im pretty sure Harris will be starting this season alongside Terry in the backcourt and Harris will continue his development as a NBA player. All the talk about he needs to improve, but he has. There's a notable difference between his rookie year and sophmore year, in the numbers and his play.

His shot is fine. Avery needs to give him the green light and tell him to shoot. He changed his form so he doesnt have the hitch in the middle of his shot anymore. His rookie year he shot 33% from the 3 I believe with the hitch but he was down this year due to minimal attempts and adjusting to a new form.

I think he'll be around 15 PPG and 5 APG.
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

I can only hope Harris gets a chance to start, so that we can see what the kid is really made of.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for Devin this year.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Devin has improved, but still has room for more and needs to. It's not bashing him to say he needs to improve. Every player can stand to improve. Just as there was a difference between rookie and sophmore year, there needs to be a difference between sophmore and year three.

And maybe the form on his shot is fine. But he needs to make more of them. If he starts making more from field, it's going to open things up for him to drive so much more. He seemed to shoot better from the baseline than out around the key. Look at what Tony Parker has done. Worked on his shot to mix with his drives. Devin needs to do the same. He also needs to work on finishing a layup from the left with his left hand.

Where did you hear the starting backcourt was he and Jet? So far Avery has not mentioned one thing. And in a interview with Ager, he said the starting shooting guard spot was wide open. Which would lead me to believe Jet is starting at pg.

I like the way he's developed so far. And I don't think there is nothing wrong with saying that he needs to keep improving. Plus pointing out his weak points and what he needs to work on. He appears to have a good work ethic. So I'm sure he's been at it this summer.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is a pretty well-respected posterEric Cartman is a pretty well-respected posterEric Cartman is a pretty well-respected poster

15pg 4ast
Eric Cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Devin Harris will be starting... who else???!!!

and i like him and Barbosa's playing styles... great future!!!
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Devin has improved, but still has room for more and needs to. It's not bashing him to say he needs to improve. Every player can stand to improve. Just as there was a difference between rookie and sophmore year, there needs to be a difference between sophmore and year three.

And there is every indication there will be. I dont know if there's a harder working player in the offseason, maybe other than Dirk Nowitzki, on this Mavericks team. And yes, of course he needs to improve.

Quote:
And maybe the form on his shot is fine. But he needs to make more of them. If he starts making more from field, it's going to open things up for him to drive so much more. He seemed to shoot better from the baseline than out around the key. Look at what Tony Parker has done. Worked on his shot to mix with his drives. Devin needs to do the same. He also needs to work on finishing a layup from the left with his left hand.

His jump shot is definately going to be what he worked on this offseason. Thats the big flaw right now in his game. The good thing is he's got the ability to improve, unlike a guy like Marquis Daniels, who was never going to be a good outside shooter.

Quote:
Where did you hear the starting backcourt was he and Jet? So far Avery has not mentioned one thing. And in a interview with Ager, he said the starting shooting guard spot was wide open. Which would lead me to believe Jet is starting at pg.

Ive heard elsewhere that Devin Harris and Jason Terry is the projected lineup. I personally thought thats unlikely, but I think it make sense, considering thats the lineup that jumpstarted our post season run.

As far as the SG position being wide open, of course it is if Ager views Terry as a PG. Not sure thats the case. But I think TC and who earns the spots will be the determining factor.
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #12
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

That lineup jumpstarted us against the Spurs. It was game 2 of that series that Avery started using it. I agree that we won't really know anything about spots until training camp. I've seen many people and threads say that's the starting lineup as well. I just would like to hear it from Avery. It's actually nice to have options for a change. Or at least viable options.

As far as predictions, I'll go 13 and 5, and hope I'm low on both of them.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

The thing that will help him the most is his quickness. He has a LOT of potential at both gaurd positions.

I can see him getting 15 ppg and 5 assists easy along with quite a few good plays on D
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I agree that his speed is his biggest asset. But I believe his future is at pg not shooting guard. Of course he could improve his outside shot greatly and prove me wrong.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

i'd bet almost anything that devin and terry will start. No, avery hasn't said they are starting together, but he hasn't said dirk is starting this coming year either (I know, far fetched exageration, but just trying to make a point). All indicators point to them starting together, saying that Avery hasn't said anything yet is a little weak.

I've gone into this in detail in the past, but Terry is not a good pg, he is a great player, but not a pg. In the playoffs, even when at point, he played as a sg. Harris has said he expects to start this year, the Terry/Harris combo was very potent last year, and it makes sense as an organization to push harris to start this year. This is the year he has to make that transition and the mavericks number 5 pick has to pay off.

As for how he will do i expect nothing but greatness from him, he's had flashes of brilliance but seems to lack the confidence needed to play with consitancy. Im thinking more of a 10p/5a/4r/1s stat line.

Last edited by soog : 08-22-2006 at 10:56 AM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: