Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum G League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Default 2008 Olympics - Men's Basketball

The groups were drawn. They are:
Group A: Lithuania, Argentina, Russia, Australia, Iran, and a qualifier.
Group B: China, USA, Angola, Spain, and 2 qualifiers.

Looks ok , I think group A is much stronger, lets hope group A get's the weakest qualifier.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Re: 2008 Olympics - Men's Basketball

There are strong teams in the qualifier, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia... Both groups will be at the end more or less balanced.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
gsafier
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
The groups were drawn. They are:
Group A: Lithuania, Argentina, Russia, Australia, Iran, and a qualifier.
Group B: China, USA, Angola, Spain, and 2 qualifiers.

Looks ok , I think group A is much stronger, lets hope group A get's the weakest qualifier.

Group A seems to have more depth with 3.5 good teams (half Australia) but the 2 best teams in the world are in group B.
gsafier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsafier
Group A seems to have more depth with 3.5 good teams (half Australia) but the 2 best teams in the world are in group B.
plus group A are only getting 1 qualifier whilst B are getting 2.In any other sport this would be an advantage for B in basketball olympics not,as a lot of the qualifiers are stronger.So after the qualifiers are drawn we might be looking at an even stronger group B.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Jack
I usually hit open layups

USA all the way.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Who do you people predict to qualify? Out of Cameroon, Cape Verde, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Canada, Lebanon, Korea, Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, and New Zealand, I predict Greece, Slovenia, and either Brazil or Germany, or even Canada if Nash plays. New Zealand has a chance also
Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Who do you people predict to qualify? Out of Cameroon, Cape Verde, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Canada, Lebanon, Korea, Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, and New Zealand, I predict Greece, Slovenia, and either Brazil or Germany, or even Canada if Nash plays. New Zealand has a chance also
I'd imagine they will be in groups,so it depends how they are grouped.I dont think Nash plays for canada anymore.I suspect Nowitzki wont play for germany either.I think Greece will qualify almost for sure as most of their players,infact all of them play in europe.Slovenia if they can get nachbar,nesterovic and vujacic(lakers guy) to play with lakovic,smodis,becerovic etc should also qualify.Croatia are my third prediction but i imagine they will have it set up so that not all 3 european teams can go through,so like you i think brazil ,puerto rico and new zealand are the strongest of the non europeans.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
b.jerk
Dunking on everybody in the park

First glance the only team that has a chance to beat the US is Spain but you never know until the games start. After watching the nba this year, I always got the sense that the nba is a paper tiger.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
simasu01
Decent playground baller

The player from Spain has been ripping the NBA up. Pau Gasol, as much I hate to admit Lakers success, has been doing great, and I believe he is the main reason they are doing so good. Absolutely great player. Unfortunately he's on a team I hate.
I almost forgot about Croatia, they beat Spain in Euros. I still remember Rudy getting fouled, but no call. Great game. But Croatia is from Europe, just like Greece, Slovenia, and Germany. No Nowitzki means no chance for them, but I'm almost sure he wont pass up a chance on the Olympics, it should be a dream for every athlete in the world. Also, we can't forget New Zealand, even though they haven't done much recently, I think they are somewhat strong. Brazil and Puerto Rico will most likely fight for the 3rd qualifier spot..
Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
I'd imagine they will be in groups,so it depends how they are grouped.I dont think Nash plays for canada anymore.I suspect Nowitzki wont play for germany either.I think Greece will qualify almost for sure as most of their players,infact all of them play in europe.Slovenia if they can get nachbar,nesterovic and vujacic(lakers guy) to play with lakovic,smodis,becerovic etc should also qualify.Croatia are my third prediction but i imagine they will have it set up so that not all 3 european teams can go through,so like you i think brazil ,puerto rico and new zealand are the strongest of the non europeans.

Dirk plays in the tournament!
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullit
Dirk plays in the tournament!
That should give them a chance then.with an emerging Jagla too.However I dont think they are favourites.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Maybe Kaman will be there with Germany. They will have the best froncourt by far if that happens.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Since when does Kaman play for Germany? I think he is American, maybe he's of German heritage, but that wouldn't mean he can play for them.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Since when does Kaman play for Germany? I think he is American, maybe he's of German heritage, but that wouldn't mean he can play for them.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...t-chris-kaman/

It probably will not happen, but the possibility is there. I don't like that things, but you know, that's the way things work. See the "russian" Holden making "his" country European Champ.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...t-chris-kaman/

It probably will not happen, but the possibility is there. I don't like that things, but you know, that's the way things work. See the "russian" Holden making "his" country European Champ.
Haha i like the holden thing,do I sense a bit of bitterness? I still can't believe Spain lost that!where was Navarro?anyway its history.Yeah what about domercant playing for Bosnia,shammond Williams for Georgia,Arriel Mcdonald played for Slovenia,Bradley for Germany etc etc etc.it does happen a lot.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: