Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
High Potential
Best poster ever

High Potential has decent reputation
Default Will any of the players coming out of the draft be better than Durant or Oden?

Does anyone think the top guys like Derek Rose, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo and the like are better than Durant and Oden? To me Oden and Durant seem a class above the top players in the draft this year.
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Will any of the players coming out of the draft be better than Durant or Oden?

I think Beasley could be every bit as good as Durant. He is more athletic, has similar height, and has a better outside shot. I think he will go inside more than Durant as well which will help him be a little more effecient than Durant. The big thing with Beasley is if he is going to be a good leader and play within the offense. I don't see any reason why he won't be a 20 to 25 point scorer year in and year out.

As for Rose, he is much different than the other three. I don't think you can really compare forwards and centers to guards. Rose probably won't score as many points as Beasley and Durant, and he won't cause the defensive and matchup problems that Oden will, but he will be a great playmaker and the engine behind his team. I think he could be just as good, or even better, than all three of these guys, but in a different way.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
High Potential
Best poster ever

High Potential has decent reputation
Default Re: Will any of the players coming out of the draft be better than Durant or Oden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I think Beasley could be every bit as good as Durant. He is more athletic, has similar height, and has a better outside shot. I think he will go inside more than Durant as well which will help him be a little more effecient than Durant. The big thing with Beasley is if he is going to be a good leader and play within the offense. I don't see any reason why he won't be a 20 to 25 point scorer year in and year out.

As for Rose, he is much different than the other three. I don't think you can really compare forwards and centers to guards. Rose probably won't score as many points as Beasley and Durant, and he won't cause the defensive and matchup problems that Oden will, but he will be a great playmaker and the engine behind his team. I think he could be just as good, or even better, than all three of these guys, but in a different way.
You really think Beasley is a better outside shooter than Durant? Durant regularly hits 3s 3-4 feet behind the NBA 3 line plus is one of the clutchest rookies I have ever seen. Beasley has a better outside shot than Durant?
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
cartmanclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Potential
You really think Beasley is a better outside shooter than Durant? Durant regularly hits 3s 3-4 feet behind the NBA 3 line plus is one of the clutchest rookies I have ever seen. Beasley has a better outside shot than Durant?
Durant Shoots 29 percent from The 3 point line
Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
AlThornton
Great young streetballer

AlThornton has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanclone

In the NBA.........

Durant shot 40% from 3 in college, Beasley shot 37% from 3. Not even considering the fact that Durant has elite range on his shot
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think Beasley has a better outside shot. I think play with Augustine helped Durant get a lot of good looks. Beasley didn't have that. The other key is that Beasley plays inside/out, while Durant was more outside/in. To me in the NBA he is more prepared to be a good outside shooter. I really think that while Durant will hover around 30-35% in the NBA, Beasley will be closer to 40%.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanclone

It can be tough for college players to adjust to the NBA 3 point line. Vince Carter shot 29% on 3's his rookie season but he ended up having 3 seasons above 40% on 3's including his sophomore year. VC also ended up a 38% career 3 point shooter. I expect Durant to improve like that.

I also disagree about Beasley being more athletic than Durant.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Qlippers
Decent playground baller

Qlippers has an OK reputation so far

Beasley has all the tools to become better than Durant or Oden. Beasley is a good shooter and can take the bigger players outside. Yet he has the instincts to post up the smaller players, good hands and a killer instinct. He's not the best defender, but he can be.

He's definitely has more offensive game than Oden and a physical type of play to Durant.

As for Rose, He's a great leader, passer and has an incredible first step. His shot is suspect and I can see people playing off of him until he can hit the J. If he can't hit that J, I see people playing D on him like Larry Hughes. Hughes is explosive but nobody respects him as a shooter thus making it difficult for him to get to the rim to use his athletic ability
Qlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Michael Beasley definitely has a very good chance to better than both or one of those players. Not saying he will, but he's at least every bit as talented as either one.

Derrick Rose could be as well, but you just never know with a guard like that. You see a lot of Jason Kidd and a little Stephon Marbury in him, but who knows who that will translate to the NBA? But he's definitely the kid of player that you don't hesitate to on and take a chance to find out.

O.J. Mayo is definitely a cut below Durant, Oden, Rose, and Beasley, though he will be a very good basketball player at the next level. I put Eric Gordon in the same category as Mayo, but I think Mayo might be the better pro. I just put them in the same tier.

Those are the only players I think even deserve to be in the discussion. But I will say, you should probably add Al Horford to your title.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Rose and Beasley would be better than Oden
But i do believe Durant will own these guys in the next 3-4 years.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE has not been impressing people

If Oden can stay healthy and reach his potential no one from this draft can even come close.

If Oden has injury problems his whole career they will ALL be better than him.

The only player in this draft i can see becoming better than Durant is Rose. And thats only if Rose goes wild and Durant doesnt get much better.

And to let you all know, Oden and Durant are far more athletic than Beasley.

Just wait and see their pre-draft numbers and how they compare.

If they all came out in the same year here is how the draft would look.

1. Oden

2. Durant

3. Rose

4. Beasley

5. Mayo

Last edited by KNOW1EDGE : 04-29-2008 at 11:49 PM.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Far more athletic than Beasley? I seriously doubt that, I'd say Oden is more athletic, but it's questionable if Durant is.
The only thing preventing Beasley from being labeled as a franchise-player for sure is his attitude. If he can fix that up for the NBA or do something to change that than I'd put him above Durant, merely because he has more all-around game and seems to be able to put muscle on better.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

how can Durant be more athletic than Beasley??
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
meanmonster
I brick open layups

meanmonster has an OK reputation so far

Im sorry did I miss something, Oden did not play all season. I guess some of you guys seen him playing pick up ball or something. Oden is not going to be that good , thats just me.

Durant is the real deal.

This years draft, Beasley will be better than Oden and up there with Durant but a different type of player. Durant will grow into a triple threat type player... I see Beasley growing into a 20-10 type player...which is not bad.

Rose will be better than Oden.

Kevin Love will be a 1 time all star, reminding people of Christian Laettner. Laettner was a 20pt -9 board guy for a few years.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
hotsauce2007
I airball my layups

hotsauce2007 has an OK reputation so far

michael beasley - soon to be there brilliant scorer and defender

tyler hansbrough - amazing strength and quick hands for a big guy can score anywere inside the 3

Kevin Love - amazing all round player takes a lot of rebounds which is needed by any team
hotsauce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: