Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default What do you think of Flip Saunders' coaching

Talk about Flip Saunders, the coaching job he did during the regular season, and what happened in the playoffs, and what needs to change, if anything
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Like his offense and strategies for the most part, don't like his inability to seemingly motivate the players.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Flip is one of the top 7 coaches in the league. There just seems to be some kind of a communication problem between him and his players.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
easybuckets
Can barely lace up my sneakers

easybuckets has an OK reputation so far

The Pistons Ran Out Of Gas During The Playoffs.. Don't Know Why But It Was Not Flip's Fault. Maybe It's Time For Dumars To Convince Davidson To Spend A Little More Money.
easybuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation here

I didn't care for his timeout management, in the Cleveland series we were running out of timeouts in close games. I don't think he enforced himself enough either, the offense that let us win 64 games in the regular season was not really utilized past game 2 of the Cleveland series, when the players all just decided they could win games by standing around and jacking up 3 pointers. The movement totally disapeared.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

We should copy and paste Joey's "Can I mock Flip Saunders yet?" thread in here.

What do I think of Flip's coaching?

-Flip failed to recognize the talent on his bench. His decision to develop Mo Evans ahead of Carlos Delfino disgusted me. It basically proved to me that Flip doesn't put any emphasis on defense. And Flip's infatuation with zones showed me that he doesn't have a clue about what it takes to be a defensive team.

-Due to his above shortcomings, I really think Flip lost the respect of most of the team. I think Chauncey, Mo, and maybe Rip were the only guys who really respected Flip. That was part of the disaster that was the playoffs. When things started going poorly, there was no way for Flip to right the ship since he'd lost the trust of his players.

-Flip played the starters too much during the regular season. During 20+ point blowouts, there would still be starters in the game with 6 minutes to go. Makes no sense. Dice could have played a little more, and Dale could have definitely provided a few more minutes. I already expressed my thoughts on Carlos. During the dog days of the regular season, the starters didn't need to be playing much more than 30 minutes a game.

Chauncey played more minutes this season than in any other of his career. All playoffs long I was wondering WTF was wrong with him. He may just have been worn out.

-Out of timeouts, the Pistons would invariably turn the ball over, or put up a bad shot. That was in stark contrast to the previous years where they would get a great look out of every single stoppage.

This really rankled me, as it seemed to indicate that Flip has no feel for the basketball game. He doesn't seem to see what's going on out there and be able to adjust accordingly.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: