Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
huppcap
Local High School Star

Default Re: Season done, Offseason Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Outside of a handful of teams, I actually think we have the lowest production from SG in the entire league. In addition to that, we have the lowest prodcution from SF and C in the league, or close to it.

On Doug Smith's blog recently it stated the Raptors had the 2nd lowest point production for the starting SG & SF combo in the league. Spurs were last but of course they have Manu Ginobili coming off the bench who is really starter so the Raps are last.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Burgz
Banned

biedrins would be ideal for our situation
toughness, we just need to be tougher inside
bosh is not a bruiser, he shouldnt have to worry about banging inside with a guy like dwight howard becayuse of lack of talent!

BC talked about 3 goals this summer in that locker cleanout press conference:

1) Interior toughness/defense

2) Acquiring another 20pt scorer

3) Help for Chris Bosh

This is basically what we have been saying all year on this board.

I dont think Denver will part with Melo, after the rumors about no contract extension for Iverson, he's denver for the long haul.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
RapsFan
Great college starter

If the Knicks don't get Rose in the lottery, say they get the 3rd pick, I am not sure tht TJ for Crawford isn't the first step for us.

Agin, I know people will say they hate Crawford, but I think people are WAY over valuing what TJ can get us in the open market.

TJ for Nene or TJ for Crawford are two options. If there is a way to get Lee from NY as well that would be great, but outside of offering Bargs, I doubt that will happen.

Indy also needs a PG BAD BAD BAD, but they won't be dealing Granger. What about Rasho's deal, TJ and pick for JO + 2nd rounder? JO has one year left I think so he'll be motivated and if it doesn't work out, we get the $20 mill off the cap the following offseason. Then use our MLE on a swingman.

Jose
FA or Parker
Moon or FA
Bosh
JO
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I think that both those you mentioned could be real possibility's for the Raps.

Crawford's selfishness and chucking is far overblown by Raps fans, on a team where he isn't the only player that is worth two ****s he wouldn't be shooting near what he is now.

Earlier today I was thinking JO might be a guy that is targetted, he's clearly not going to be staying in Indy and if he can stay healthy he can still be among the best big men in the league at both ends of the floor.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Burgz
Banned

at this point, talent is what we need most

in crawford's defense, he might be a chucker, and shoot a low percentage, but he plays every night likes its his last, and thats a rare breed in the NBA. I would say no to him because of a potential disruption in offensive gameplan, but seeing as we seem to have NO gameplan offensively, that argument hardly seems logical.
IMO Monta Ellis would be a great fit offensively, and has proven he can be a consistent scorer, and regardless of his lack of size, i just cant get away from a possible offer for Ellis. I'm pretty sure he's restricted though, does anyone know?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
RapsFan
Great college starter

Monta isn't going anywhere...he'll be in GS for a long time. Yes he is restricted.

I agree with Crawford. I think that's the ceiling of what we can get for TJ at this point in a straight up swap, if NY doesn't get Rose. Crawford plays hard, has a crazy offensive repitoire (if you have ever stomached a Knicks game you'd know), can distribute some, is long and creative. A bunch of those things we don't have. Quite literally, the majority of our wings cannot create a shot for themselves that isn't terribly contested.

We'd still have expiring deals to move and our MLE to spend. Hell we might be able to get Nene due to his terrible contract for Rasho straight up as Denver is well into the luxury tax.

Jose
Jamal
Moon (or hopeful upgrade via MLE)
Bosh
Nene

Bench: Kapono, Bargs, Hump and PG FA for a solid 8 man rotation (9 with PG getting limited mins).

That might be my best case realistic scenario...so I doubt it will happen.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Jamal Crawford is a 40.3% career FG and 34.5% 3pt. Those are awful #'s for an SG who also doesn't play D, isn't a smart passer and gets paid what he gets paid. And that's 7-8 year sample so it's not like he's going to get any better. I don't care about what offensive skills he may have when it has been leading to those kinds of results throughout his career.

Why not just trade for Larry Hughes and at least get a half-competent defensive player along with the poor shooting?

I wouldn't want Jamal Crawford on the Raptors for anything at his price and his lack of results.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #23
kmart
No props needed

I think the Raps should do something in the draft.

Trade up to get a second scorer to compliment Chris Bosh like a Eric Gordon or O.J Mayo or even Chase Budinger

Then they should get themselves a decent center that can get boards and that is good on the defensive end
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #24
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I think the Raps should do something in the draft.

Trade up to get a second scorer to compliment Chris Bosh like a Eric Gordon or O.J Mayo or even Chase Budinger

Then they should get themselves a decent center that can get boards and that is good on the defensive end

none of those players are ready to be a second option in the nba right away. Gordon has loads of talent, but his basketball IQ is shockingly low, and OJ is a guy who thinks he's never taken a bad shot.

I've said this before, but Chase Budinger would be a ROBBERY at 17 if he falls that low. 6'7, good shot mechanics, loves to defend and throw in a 43 inch vertical and as NBA ready as he is now, his upside is through the roof.
He's ready to contribute now, and will develop into something in the future.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
insidehoops
Administrator

The Raptors need a clear second star next to Bosh.

TJ Ford and Jose Calederon aren't second stars. They're like, third stars or fourth.

And the other issue is, probably trading one of those two point guards for a player that fits alongside the one that doesn't get traded and fits alongside Bosh
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 AM   #26
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Nene for Ford would be great.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #27
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Jamal Crawford is a 40.3% career FG and 34.5% 3pt. Those are awful #'s for an SG who also doesn't play D, isn't a smart passer and gets paid what he gets paid. And that's 7-8 year sample so it's not like he's going to get any better. I don't care about what offensive skills he may have when it has been leading to those kinds of results throughout his career.

Why not just trade for Larry Hughes and at least get a half-competent defensive player along with the poor shooting?

I wouldn't want Jamal Crawford on the Raptors for anything at his price and his lack of results.

I know you're not a Crawford fan and I despise him. But we have to be realistic with what we can get. He played considerably better last year then any year before....like Hedo did too, so it can happen later in a career. Dunleavy is another example. At the end of the shot clock, we'd have an option, instead of an AP drive that results in a contested fade away because he can't get by his man. Jamal was 5 dimes per, smart passer or not, he looks for teammates. 2.2 3's per and over 20 pts. He also got to the line a lot and made them at a high rate. Our wings do NONE of that. I can't see how you don't take the good with the bad. We aren't going to find a perfect player. Everyone talks about D, but he's a capable defender if you watched them play, bust's his butt. And anyway, we suck at D already so he's not going to hurt. There are a lot of guys with low FG%....welcome to the NBA in 2008. And his contract....pretty much going rate, or less then the going rate, for 20 ppg. Rasho freakin' makes as much.

I found it interesting that BC said he wants another 20 ppg scorer. They don't grow on trees so I wonder what he has in mind.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #28
bonez26
Local High School Star

Good Idea but wrong guy. colangelo would never take a guy on his team like Crawford just the wrong fit per say. I much prefer a guy like Corey Magette who gives us more of what we need and also gets the other team into foul trouble and a better defender..however a little more injury prone.

Oh also I'd never trade Calderon he's the future of this team. TJ Ford has to go shows he can't handle the PG spot by his showing in the playoffs. To many turn overs and unforced errors and not enough production. Me nad one of my friends had and idea.

TJ Ford and Bargs & secon rounder to GSW

for Biendrins and Azibuike to TOR.

GSW - gets lightning qhuick PG that cn take the pace to another level and does not have to be counted on to score but just to distribute to the right guys and get a big the can run and shoot and would fit nicely nto Nelsons' system. They Also turn Azibuike who's not really being used into and asset they can use.

Tor - Gets long rebounding shotblocking prescence they sorley lack and and underated atheletic wing that would help pick up slack on offense and is a somewhat capable defender and energy guy.

Last edited by bonez26 : 05-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #29
RapsFan
Great college starter

Colangelo took TJ Ford onto his team. I don't know Crawford to be a bad seed, never heard that about him. In fact he stood by Isiah and always supported him and his teammates.

GS has a pretty good PG in Baron....so Ford isn't a priority for them at all unless then move Baron or he opts out and bolts. Biedrins I also see as a total lock to remain in GS for years. As much as Nelson doesn't play him a lot, Nelson isn't going to be around for many more years, if even next year, and the GS brass knows you need guys like Biedrins to compete. If Nellie was the GM then maybe, but since he's not, I doubt Biedrins is on the move.

Azu would be a great guy to land.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #30
bonez26
Local High School Star

You pretty much have to deifuse this situation before it gets any worse. It worked for a while great but there has to be a steady first PG and backup PG. Ford can only be on of those. We all know the better player the one who will sacrafice and do what needs to be done is Calderon therefore TJ needs to be shipped before there's a wedge between the two and the media star feeding it. Then the team will be more focused off the court than on. You are right though....Crawford..isn't neccessarily the bad guy...but I think just more of not the right fit..I just don't see him as a Colangelo player. He for me at least deosn't fit the bill. To much of a chucker for my liking as well.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: