Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Default Mareese Speights/Anthony Randolph - What do you think of these guys in Charlotte?

I'm not the biggest college hoops fan and Florida didn't make any noise in March (did they even make the NCAAs?) so I've only seen him in action a couple of times but he seemed like the truth from what I saw. I thin khe has more offensive talent than both Florida bigs from last year, and at 6'10 250+ he has nice size. I think he would fit in nice on the blocks beside Meka, and even though he might be a reach at the 8th pick I think he fits the Cats team more than any of the other bigs in this draft. I know he's raw and has effort and defensive lapses, but I feel coach Brown would be perfect to get him out of that in time.

What do you think of him though? I know some people have seen him much more than me.

Edit: I like Randolph too, another young talent that reminds me of a more skilled Branden Wright who we drafted and traded last year. Basically I just need more info on these guys I didn't see them in play much.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Mareese Speights/Anthony Randolph - What do you think of these guys in Charlotte?

From other thread:

Randolph has wiry strength, but may be too light in the ass to play the four right out of the box. If Dwight Howard can add 20 lbs to his frame over a summer, Tony may be able to do the same. Anthony is a creative scorer. He can get it done in the post, but he needs to work on getting in position to get the ball. Right now he relies on his otherworldly athleticism to get away with not being fundamentally sound on the block. Randolph has a decent shot and an emerging mid and long range game. He has the handles to go coast to coast. It would be interesting to see him play with a legit point guard. He is a really good shot blocker, but that has more to do with his athleticism than being in the right position.

Blasphemy Alert:My 70 year old uncle compared him to Connie Hawkins.

I like to think of him as Andre Kirilenko before he wilted under Jerry Sloan's constant riding.

Randolph is a rookie that Larry may be willing to play.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: Mareese Speights/Anthony Randolph - What do you think of these guys in Charlotte?

speights wont be near the lottery
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Speights needs to go back to school. Randolph should too, he's nowhere near physically ready and would be better served being the man on what should be a good LSU team next year than anchoring an NBA bench.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Am I wrong in calling Randolph the next Ty Thomas? I've never seen the kid play but the two seem similar from the profiles I've read.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Am I wrong in calling Randolph the next Ty Thomas? I've never seen the kid play but the two seem similar from the profiles I've read.
Yes you are. Charles Johnson Anthony's teammate at LSU is more like Ty Thomas. Randolph has handles, a jumper out to the college three, and the beginnings of a post game. Randolph can step on the court in the league and be a competent small forward. Their similarities lie in their athleticism, slight frames, and shot blocking ability. Anthony is closer to what Chris Bosh was his freshman year in college. The only difference was that Chris played on a more complete team.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Yes you are. Charles Johnson Anthony's teammate at LSU is more like Ty Thomas. Randolph has handles, a jumper out to the college three, and the beginnings of a post game. Randolph can step on the court in the league and be a competent small forward. Their similarities lie in their athleticism, slight frames, and shot blocking ability. Anthony is closer to what Chris Bosh was his freshman year in college. The only difference was that Chris played on a more complete team.

Thanks
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Damn I've heard Ranolph is similar to Chris at this point in their developement but you really think this pans out and turns out that good? From how high you guys are on him it sounds like in time he could be a good fit in Charlotte beside Okafor. Personally I still like the heavier Speights a little more though because we're ready to win now.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Speights will probably be a better fit next to Emeka because of his size and strength. Emeka is undersized and needs his front court mate to be able to physically help shoulder some of the load. Speights will be able to get it done on the offensive end. If Florida's guards, Jai Lucas especially, would have gotten him the ball more they would have been in the NCAAs instead of the NIT. He is probably working on his conditioning right now because when he got tired he picked up really cheap fouls.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
itsmeman
Learning to shoot layups

Randolph is very similar to Bosh in his style of play, but he turns the ball over too much and takes terrible shots. He has the talent, he just needs to play more under control.
itsmeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
Original BETcat
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeman
Randolph is very similar to Bosh in his style of play, but he turns the ball over too much and takes terrible shots. He has the talent, he just needs to play more under control.

Sounds correctible though, at least that doesn't sound like he has motor issues which is big.
Original BETcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
itsmeman
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original BETcat
Sounds correctible though, at least that doesn't sound like he has motor issues which is big.

Plays hard and plays with an attitude. No motor issues at all. He's like T-Mac, he settles for tough shots when he doesn't have to. You're right though, his problems can be fixed.
itsmeman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: