Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Default Duncan, time for "comeback"?

The was a post in nba.com about 10 things to watch next season, (http://www.nba.com/features/living_060817.html)
and there was this at number 8.

Quote:
8. Tim Duncan trying to reverse his statistical slide

Over the past three years, Duncan's numbers have slowly dropped. Points have been reduced from 23.3 to 22.3 to 20.3 to 18.6; rebounds have bounced from 12.9 to 12.5 to 11.1 to 11.0; blocks have dropped from 2.9 to 2.7 to 2.6 to 2.0; and field goal percentage has dipped from .513 to .501 to .496 to .484. The 30-year-old Duncan isn't getting any younger, so he'll have to dig deep to reverse this alarming trend.

This made me think about Timmy's future. Duncan ain't getting younger, so do you believe he's going to pull his numbers up this season or is it downhill from here? Thoughts? Is this the reason why the Spurs didn't get deeper in the playoffs?

My opinion is that he needs one healthy season to silent the sceptics, but if the season isn't this upcoming, maybe the numbers just start to fall, cause like it's writen, his body has already lot of miles. But he ain't going to stop being affective on the court, maybe something like 16 ppg, 9 rpg. And I think that this had effect on the Spurs playoff run cause Timmy is really the heart of the Spurs.

Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

I'm not sure you can expect him to get back to the 23/13 he once put up, but I don't think you can discount a solid 20/12 from him either. He's on the wrong side of 30, so obviously these kinds of issues are gonna come up, but I don't think its gonna really matter for another 2 to 3 years.

He's still the best player in the NBA and I'm pretty sure he's gonna have at least one more MVP type season.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
9spurs
Serious playground baller

Com'on tim, get back to your MVP form
9spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default .

age is a factor...BUT you also have to put into account the emergance of manu and tony. before, EVERYTHING ran through duncan. now, not so much because parker has developed into the primary distributor and manu has taken some of the scoring load off duncan. Before duncan WAS the team but now his roles have changed from being the primary guy ALL the time to being a primary guy SOME of the time. when duncan is called apon to deliver, he does. when the team can get by with manu and tony doing the work the duncan relaxes and lets his teammates get some of the glory and limelight.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
lakers-city
Good college starter

duncan will retire with at least 1 more ring. he is too good to only win 3 and only play well in the NBA for 9 seasons.

he'll start aproaching his career the way shaq does ( admiting that he is past his prime and allowing the young and promising players share the spotlight) and the spurs will still compete for at least the next 4 years.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
jailer
MillionDollarException

only win three????? Damn even some of the greatest didnt win three he should feel blessed along with all of san antonio.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
insidehoops
Administrator

Wasn't he semi-hurt all last season?

Not relevant to the big picture that he's been sinking these last few years, of course.

His defense is still just as good as it's always been
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
only win three????? Damn even some of the greatest didnt win three he should feel blessed along with all of san antonio.

i wasnt dissing duncan, of course 3 rings is great, but he still has gas in the tank and i think he'll win a couple more before he retires, if he doesnt then still 3 rings is awesome, but IMO he will win more.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
TDMVPDPOY
I brick open layups

So far his slimmed down, and is improving his game, the spin move is back

only downside to his game is fts, but that applies to all spurs players. Currently his in mvp shape, just need to pad up those stats and he be automatic winner since i see the spurs finishing with the best record in the league, unless tony parker steals votes from him.
TDMVPDPOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
DLakerfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
age is a factor...BUT you also have to put into account the emergance of manu and tony. before, EVERYTHING ran through duncan. now, not so much because parker has developed into the primary distributor and manu has taken some of the scoring load off duncan. Before duncan WAS the team but now his roles have changed from being the primary guy ALL the time to being a primary guy SOME of the time. when duncan is called apon to deliver, he does. when the team can get by with manu and tony doing the work the duncan relaxes and lets his teammates get some of the glory and limelight.

definitely age is a factor, I mean basketball age, he's been playing forever, if I'm the spurs I'll get him some bigtime help, he cant carry this team anymore, If this season does not pan out for the Spurs,I would trade Duncan, you guys can still get a serviceable guy and couple of 1st rd picks, who knows you guys maight get OGden.
DLakerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

It's good that my old post gets still some attention... Duncan has picked up his game this season (i really didn't believe it would happen), if you compare to last season. And i'm happy about it. I'm not a great spurs fan but they are rolling now and i don't expect it to slow down soon. So hopefully duncan can stay healthy and the spurs are going to be serious contenders this season.. good luck to you fans.
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
BballFan422
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21

Yeah, you also have to take into account that:
1 his minutes are down,
2 his attempts are down (because of supporting cast)
3 his assists are going up (because of all the double teams he faces)
4 his FG% is up (he's a smart player who plays to his strengths) He usually gets high percentage shots, that's why he's "The Big Fundamental"
5 I'm sure, if he was worried about stats, he could increase all of those.

But, check out his playoff stats. He hasn't lost it yet.

Last edited by BballFan422 : 11-29-2006 at 04:55 PM.
BballFan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers-city
duncan will retire with at least 1 more ring. he is too good to only win 3 and only play well in the NBA for 9 seasons.

he'll start aproaching his career the way shaq does ( admiting that he is past his prime and allowing the young and promising players share the spotlight) and the spurs will still compete for at least the next 4 years.
no way, the NBA is too good to let a him do that.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
wally_world
M0derator

TD for 11/7
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: