Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

Default [ this is a Blockbuster ]

*per: http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/live/

As the Akron Beacon-Journal first hinted at this a.m., and that the Four-Letter advanced, the Cavs, Bulls and Sonics have pulled the trigger on that big ol' three-way:

Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden to Chicago,

Ben Wallace and Joe Smith to Cleveland.

The Cavs' Ira Newble and Donyell Marshal, and Chicago's Adrian Griffin, to Seattle for Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West.

It's the very last name that makes me like this deal a little more for Cleveland. West can be a terrific guard for them playing off of LeBron and can knock down the open jumper. He also gives them size in the backcourt. Wally World is going to shoot 53, 54 percent from the floor until he dies, and certainly will spread the floor and give LBJ more driving room.

Ben is Ben. He's still a good rebounder. But he's not the man-on-man defender that he used to be, and he's a liability on offense. Maybe the Cavs go small at the ends of games. At the least, LBJ is surrounded by more veteran guys who've gone deep into the playoffs.

Chicago blows up a team that wasn't working, and gives Joakim Noah all the minutes he wants in the middle. Hughes can score, allowing Ben Gordon to come off the bench. Seattle continues to amass expiring contracts.
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
bulls0704
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: [ this is a Blockbuster ]

All I have to say about this deal as a Bulls fan is thank you Cleveland for taking Ben Wallace off our hands. The rest of the deal looks good for Cleveland. If you can keep Joe Smith's minutes limited he can be productive and then adding West and Szczerbiak is a great move. Cleveland should put up even more of a fight in the playoffs now if these guys all fit together right.
bulls0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

Lightbulb Re: [ this is a Blockbuster ]

great move for the cavs. Ferry might have just saved his job and maybe a step closer to keeping LBJ. I would guess Big Ben at the 4, it is a good thing Z can play the high post b/c expect Ben's points to increase as James will drive and probably find ben more than a few times a game for easy dunks. I like the addition of west and wally world. But wallys defense will put more of a burden on james. I personally believe west will can the biggest impact on this team. I see him starting at the 2 in the near future. can spread the floor, not a great floor general so will play limited mins at the point.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

If at least Wally and West stay healthy, I like this trade. Smith should have no problem staying healthy.

Wally has been doing decent this season coming off the bench. 13PPG, 43% 3PT in only 24mpg. He should average between 16 to 18 a game if he starts and gets 30MPG. As long as the guy stays healthy, I like him. I watched him play a few college games near Cincy when he played for Miami (Ohio), WALLY'S WORLD! I'm guessing he's going to be playing SG, but guarding the opposing team slower player of whoever plays SG or SF, James is better at guarding quicker players than Wally.

Wallace is a decent pickup, he's got a crappy contract, but they got rid of Hughes' contract too. So it was a wash. I would think he would be starting PF while Z is at C.

Smith is a good pickup, nice utility player, will come off the bench for Wallace. 11PPG, 5.3RPG while only getting 23MPG.

I'm not sure how West will fit in. I guess it depends on how he takes his roll. He doesn't seem to be barely average offensively, doesn't seem to get too many assists, I hope he plays better defense than Hughes does. Doesn't seem to be a downgrade from how Hughes is performing this season.

The only thing I didn't like about the trade was getting Wallace and giving up Gooden. I hope these players mesh well, and mesh quick the next 30 games.

The end result looks to be:

PG: West/Gibson/Damon Jones
SG: Wally/Brown
SF: James/Sasha
PF: Wallace/Smith
C: Z/Varejo

Last edited by Meticode : 02-21-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
alexthegod
Local High School Star

I'm not totally familar with all the guys in this trade, but having Wallace and big Z out there together? I'm not so sure that improves this team.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
I'm not totally familar with all the guys in this trade, but having Wallace and big Z out there together? I'm not so sure that improves this team.

It gives us an old front line, but hopefully the presense of another big man, and being in such a defensive system that the Cavs have can get Wallace back to being the Big Ben of old.

Getting away from that losing situation where everyone in Chicago hated him ought to revitalize him. He won't have to carry all that baggage to the arena on a nightly basis, where fans were waiting to roast him (deservedly so). He'll get a heroes welcomes in Cleveland, and a fresh start. It will be weird cheering for him, though, because he's played for our arch rivals most of his career.......
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Wallace is a huge liability on offense. Offensively you are going to be worse off down low. Defensively it's an upgrade, but a huge contract. West is the most talented PG Cleveland has seen in a long time, but I'm not sure he's the type of guy that can take a team to the next level. Maybe alongside Lebron things will be easier for him.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

WOW! I'm a Bulls fan and I can't beleive the Cavs took Ben ****in Wallace and his rediculous contract...he just isn't a good basketball player anymore... Smith is decent, but Ben Wallace is already washd up and he has 2 more years left after this one!
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Koop1
Great young streetballer

TERRIBLE Trade
Koop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

I like it. I think Wallace will benefit from playing alongside Z, and Z's presence inside will keep us from having too big an offensive liability, as well as Lebron's ability to go inside.

Wally gives us more than enough offense to replace Gooden's measily ppg, and could possibly start at SG, giving us a big lineup.

West is intriguing, because he has always been one of those bubble guys that could take off, or not. The bottom line is, he is an upgrade. We still have Gibson, and Hughes was less than worthless.

And I almost forgot about Joe Smith. Say what you want about his career, but he is more than an adequate replacement for Drew Gooden. Now that I think about it, their games are very similar (inconsistent) and Smith is more athletic.

The most important part of this trade? What did we really give up?

Hughes was worthless and overpaid. Gooden was inconsistent and definitely not the second fiddle Lebron needs offensively. Shannon Brown and Cedric Simmons never really panned out here, and Donyell Marshall has been worthless for a while.

Newble I thought was a good guy, but lets face it, he was never going to be part of coach Brown's crappy rotation.

MORE than acceptable losses for what we got in return.

I'm happy with this deal. I'm also happy to say I have tickets to the game on the 29th, vs. the T-Wolves. The T-Wolves aren't that great, but I'll finally get to see Al Jefferson play, and more importantly, I'll get to see our new lineup.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 02-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I like it. I think Wallace will benefit from playing alongside Z, and Z's presence inside will keep us from having too big an offensive liability, as well as Lebron's ability to go inside.

Wally gives us more than enough offense to replace Gooden's measily ppg, and could possibly start at SG, giving us a big lineup.

West is intriguing, because he has always been one of those bubble guys that could take off, or not. The bottom line is, he is an upgrade. We still have Gibson, and Hughes was less than worthless.

And I almost forgot about Joe Smith. Say what you want about his career, but he is more than an adequate replacement for Drew Gooden. Now that I think about it, their games are very similar (inconsistent) and Smith is more athletic.

The most important part of this trade? What did we really give up?

Hughes was worthless and overpaid. Gooden was inconsistent and definitely not the second fiddle Lebron needs offensively. Shannon Brown and Cedric Simmons never really panned out here, and Donyell Marshall has been worthless for a while.

Newble I thought was a good guy, but lets face it, he was never going to be part of coach Brown's crappy rotation.

MORE than acceptable losses for what we got in return.

I'm happy with this deal. I'm also happy to say I have tickets to the game on the 29th, vs. the T-Wolves. The T-Wolves aren't that great, but I'll finally get to see Al Jefferson play, and more importantly, I'll get to see our new lineup.

Mathius

Yes sir.. I couldn't agree more with anything.

There really is no bad deal about this trade. I just feel bad for the bulls who are about to get worse.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
WOW! I'm a Bulls fan and I can't beleive the Cavs took Ben ****in Wallace and his rediculous contract...he just isn't a good basketball player anymore... Smith is decent, but Ben Wallace is already washd up and he has 2 more years left after this one!

you obviously didn't know about the marshall, gooden, and hughes' contracts then either?

What was hughes deal my cav's fans.. like 5 yr, 65mil?

Yeah.. ill take ben over him anyday. At least I know he'll play more then 60% of his games. And so what he's a liability. He knows that too. We'll just kick it out to szcerbiak or have west penetrate and find james and Z in the lane. You guys are making this out to be bigger then what it really is.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
simasu01
Decent playground baller

yeah i feel sorry for cavs fans, i think lebron is already thinking about brooklyn. if they were gonna get rid of someone, it shoulda been damon jones and eric snow. what they needed was a point guard, and ben wallace aint no point guard, just like smith, wally, and west is something close to it, but he's like hughes, he'll be forced to play cuz nobody else can. not even gibson. maybe lebron should go point then, because thats the only option really
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Agreed, it's going to take a lot more than that to keep Lebron in Cleveland. How do you guys think this trade affects potential future aquisitions for the team, either through trade or free agency?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

The Cavs gave up a lot of their youth and depth for some established veterans and a shaky young combo guard. I'm not sure I like the trade from a Cavs POV.

How much longer will 33 year old Ben Wallace, 32 year old Joe Smith, 32 year old Big Z, and 30 year old injury prone Wally Sczzcczcerbikiak, continue to be able to produce, play big minutes, and stay healthy/injury free? The Cavs frontcourt just got very old.

If these new old guys, and Gibson, Varejao, and Sasha Girlovic, can be fully healthy for the playoffs, the Cavs could maybe get to the Finals and get drubbed by a Western powerhouse again, although they will still have a lot of trouble beating Boston and Detroit. But in a couple of years they are screwed, and Lebron will leave for a bigger market.

As a Raptors fan, I think I love this trade.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: