Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Why do the Pistons let lesser teams always do better against them

in the playoffs? They always give up a few games that they shouldn't, every year.

Or, maybe they just overachieve in the regular season and aren't really as good as we think
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why do the Pistons let lesser teams always do better against them

Bad teams play with house money - that 'nothing to lose' style where each game could be their last. The Pistons always play as if there's another playoff series coming up, and they don't risk injury or fatigue. It makes a huge difference when they come against an athletic team or player (Wade, Lebron, Sixers) because Detroit's grind-it-out style is effective over the long run. House money will usually pick up a game or two (risking injury and fatigue in the process), but Detroit's style is best suited to play for and win a championship.

It's extremely dangerous to have Detroit's demeanor at times, and has cost them in recent conference finals appearances. I think they're learning their lesson, and will play Boston in a style with nothing to lose - assuming they make it that far. Any other team they meet is merely a ro******* that they must overcome to advance to the 'real' series.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think in the back of their minds the players think they can turn it on at any time. They don't get freaked out when they get behind a little bit and keep their cool. Sometimes they keep too cool and they don't flip that switch to step the intensity up to that next notch and end up giving up a game or two. I think it's largely up to the coach to make them realize this during the game. The players have not responded well to Flip for the past few seasons. There are a lot of good coaches that are or will be available. I think it's argueable that the coaching talent in the NBA will be as good as it ever has. I'd really like to see Detroit make a change in the post season. Even if it is Curry who they've been grooming for a while, although I think a guy like Avery Johnson who has needed a great PG in his lineup and is defense minded would excel in Detroit. I think a change in culture and thought sparks the Pistons to be more motivated when they need to make that push at a certain moment in a game. They had that in 2004 when they thought they were the under dogs. They don't anymore. I agree, when they are under dogs to Boston, they will have more fight in them. That is as long as both teams get that far.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

I think there is a certain amount of overachieving that goes on in the regular season but not enough to say they aren't a top 5 team.

In my oppinion its all about "live by the jumpshot, die by the jumpshot". Pistons rely on it heavily. If enough Pistons players aren't hitting the weaknesses of the team are exposed such as rebounding and transition defense. Now that Maxiell is playing more the offensive rebounding is better but I mean he's the best rebounder on the team and he's a 6th man. As for the fastbreak defense we saw how the younger quicker sixers have had a field day with that.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick27
Any other team they meet is merely a ro******* that they must overcome to advance to the 'real' series.

Okay, this forum is officially stupid. That word up there is ro a d blo ck. A bit aggressive with the censoring, are we?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
I think there is a certain amount of overachieving that goes on in the regular season but not enough to say they aren't a top 5 team.

In my oppinion its all about "live by the jumpshot, die by the jumpshot". Pistons rely on it heavily. If enough Pistons players aren't hitting the weaknesses of the team are exposed such as rebounding and transition defense. Now that Maxiell is playing more the offensive rebounding is better but I mean he's the best rebounder on the team and he's a 6th man. As for the fastbreak defense we saw how the younger quicker sixers have had a field day with that.

In watching all the games of this series, I don't get that feel at all. They are clearly an inside-out team during this playoffs. They're getting more points in the paint than in any prior year with this core group - and that includes the championship team.

Just because a team takes an open jumper when the opposition doubles the post doesn't make it a bad shot - or a first option.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Yeah our second unit is more agressive attacking the basket thats why I think they are getting more points in the paint than in years past. Tayshaun's recent agressive streak, Stuckey's penetration abillity and Maxiells hustle on the offensive boards all have played a role in that.

But we are not a team that makes a habit of working the ball out of the post. Thats okay most of the time because we move the ball well and have a lot of players with range... but sometimes shooters just get cold and we need a stabilizing force down low. That guy can be Sheed when he chooses but there are nights when he is more of a chucker than anything. There are nights when the team settles for outside looks which they can get at any time and don't attack the basket enough. Looking at the shot charts from the series heres what I found out about the Pistons paint scoring in the series...

Game 1: 4 FGs in the paint
Game 2: 4 FGs in the paint
Game 3: 3 FGs in the paint
Game 4: 5 FGs in paint
Game 5: 3 FGs in paint
Game 6: 3 FGs in paint

compare it to boston's paint offense they beat us by 4 or 5 more fgs every time. i'm trying to say our offense is perimeter oriented.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
compare it to boston's paint offense they beat us by 4 or 5 more fgs every time. i'm trying to say our offense is perimeter oriented.

I don't deny that Detroit takes more shots on the perimeter, but these shots often start with a pass into the post. The defense is drawn in, and then the outside shot is less contested. You are correct that many shots end up 15ft+, but the ball often crosses within 10 feet before the shot is taken. If the short-range shot is available, it's taken. If it's not available, the mid- or long-range shot becomes available.

Detroit takes smart shots. It's not fair to claim they don't look for good shots, because that isn't the case. Most times, the ball begins in the post to someone. Defenses are smart enough to clamp down on the post player, so the ball movement creates a high percentage shot, wherever that happens to be.

To me, that's not a perimeter oriented team, it's a team that takes what the defense gives them. It's smart basketball, and they win at a .700 clip when doing so.

By the way, how's Boston doing against their 'lesser' opponent? :)

Last edited by Patrick27 : 05-02-2008 at 11:40 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: