Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Default IF Eddie ends the season as a Grizz

His expiring contract will give the Grizzlies roughly 11 million dollars to spend on free agency, making them the number 2 contender in the free agent market behind the Charlotte Bobcats. Top possible free agents include Vince Carter and Chauncey Billups. As of right now, Memphis and Charlotte would be the only two teams able to give a decent offer to entice either of the agents to leave their current teams.

As for Vince, his contract situation isnt going along exactly real smooth, and tension has increased since Paul Pierce has already signed his extension with Boston. Depending on how things go this year in NJ, VC could be looking for a new team. Between the two teams, who as of right now have enough money to spend, Charlotte has the advantage. Not only does VC have strong roots in North Carolina, but Charlotte needs veteran scoring even with the pick of Morrison. However, the Grizz still have a shot.

My initial idea is that the best chance the Grizz have at signing an All-Star free agent is Chauncey Billups. 3 months ago this would, and may still, seem ridiculous, until we remember the Ben Wallace situation. Although drafted in the lottery instead of going undrafte, Billups' situation is very similar to that of Ben Wallace. Underappreciated throughout his career untilhe reached Detroit, and as the situation in Detroit has lost its consitency and glory, it is not illogical to think Billups might look to cash in somewhere new next season. Depending on how the Pistons do this season, I believe the Grizz have a real shot at signing the PG as Damon and Chucky Atkins will probably not return after this season. Along with an All-Star PF, Billups would be able to dp what he does best in leading a team on the court and hitting the big shots at the end of the game. Why would he come to Memphis? Besides that Memphis is very much a southern version of Detroit, it is left up to the magic in Jerry West.

I understand this is mostly hopes and dreams, but for once, the Grizz will have a great chance to do something big in the free agent market next offseason. What do you think?
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
jailer
MillionDollarException

I agree that billups would be awesome.Jerry west does not go after free agents unless there unknowns or cheap.No to vince cause after one year rudy will not be a rookie and fratello will have to play him.Billups could play here but the offense is really run through pau but I could live with billups helping us instead of hurting us.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Vince carter would be a better choice. but vince should realize by now that a championship means more than a bigger wallet. he already has all the money he could ever spend. Don't be surprised if vince carter winds up with cleveland or miami. They known for pulling deals like this especially Pat riley.
Chauncey will stay in detroit. that was the only team who believed in him. and it features a system where he can thrive. He can play point all he wants and also can freely shoot the ball without question from teammates or coaches. he wouldn't have that freedom in memphis. Just ask J-will. The same thing J-will was doing in memphis taking 3 seconds off the clock threes and blind passes, is exactly what he was doing in miami. And he won a championship. In one of those games either 5 or six when J-will shot i believe 11 for 11 before missing a few nobody talked about him hoisting ill-advised shots. Pat riley wanted him to always take an open shot. something his previous 2 teams could not appreciate. What you gonna do if Chauncey which is just like him starts jacking up shot when pau starts passing? Chauncey won't come to memphis. trust me.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
jailer
MillionDollarException

Where r u from im guessing nyc.Cuse if your not from memphis or sacramento you dont know what your talking about when it comes to j-will.He constantly took bad shots and would make too many unneeded flashy passes yes he got more controlled here but that came from the tutelage of an 70 yearold master.And j-will didnt win a championship miami did.Ne ways this thread is about eddie so I say keep him one more year then dump his old arse for the cash and try and get some one good to play guard.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Where r u from im guessing nyc.Cuse if your not from memphis or sacramento you dont know what your talking about when it comes to j-will.He constantly took bad shots and would make too many unneeded flashy passes yes he got more controlled here but that came from the tutelage of an 70 yearold master.And j-will didnt win a championship miami did.Ne ways this thread is about eddie so I say keep him one more year then dump his old arse for the cash and try and get some one good to play guard.

That's what i said in my post that he took bad shots in sac, mem, and miami. That is what he does. The only difference in miami is that he had a coach that want his players to take open shots no matter where they are on the floor. J-Will has heart, courage and doesn't mind recognizing a leader. That is if he sees one. Who is the leader on the griz? Pau? I can't tell. By the way J-will never got under control as you say, as i quote my self "remember in the finals when he started a game off going 11 for 11 all bad shots from most people eyes, but not A true great coach like Pat Riley. If you are open as Riley would say TAKE THE DAMN SHOT!!!! Pau could learn from that. But Jerry is going to trade eddie. He wont waste a high priced expiring contract, to hope on free agency. It's just not the way he operates. Look at how he managed L.A. There are no Shaqs out there next year. Chauncey aint worth 11 million either. You already got a 7 million dollar version in stoudemire. Plus chauncey plays point. You're losing a shooting guard. vince is your man. Plus he sells tickets so you can't lose either way.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
And j-will didnt win a championship miami did.

By the way J-Will didn't win a championship? Oh yeah, i will rephrase what I said. Jason Williams was an active player on the playoff roster for the 2006 NBA CHAMPION MIAMI HEAT. By the way so was James Posey.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

Im saying you cant say j-will was the sole reason they one.I mean he was barely there during the season so he really did not help them reach the playoffs.Then his ''good'' games were far and few.Hubie had j-will's assist to turnover ratio at almost 4-1 thats amazing and looks undercontrol to me.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

nice posts, vince carter would be a great pickup actually with rudy there they are looking athletic with hakim warrick AND stromile swift they would deff. be the most exciting team to watch
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Vince carter would be a better choice. but vince should realize by now that a championship means more than a bigger wallet. he already has all the money he could ever spend. Don't be surprised if vince carter winds up with cleveland or miami. They known for pulling deals like this especially Pat riley.
Chauncey will stay in detroit. that was the only team who believed in him. and it features a system where he can thrive. He can play point all he wants and also can freely shoot the ball without question from teammates or coaches. he wouldn't have that freedom in memphis. Just ask J-will. The same thing J-will was doing in memphis taking 3 seconds off the clock threes and blind passes, is exactly what he was doing in miami. And he won a championship. In one of those games either 5 or six when J-will shot i believe 11 for 11 before missing a few nobody talked about him hoisting ill-advised shots. Pat riley wanted him to always take an open shot. something his previous 2 teams could not appreciate. What you gonna do if Chauncey which is just like him starts jacking up shot when pau starts passing? Chauncey won't come to memphis. trust me.

I'm just glad to get a thought-out post from ya Kcity. But I have to comment on the last sentence: I do not think Chauncey will come to Memphis. I just believe its the best opprotunity the Grizz will have or have had in the free agent market in a long time.

other points:
-I also do not think he should get the 11 million as you pointed out in another comment. But the "7 million version of [Damon] Stoudamire" actually wouldnt be a part of the team if we got Billups. Part of my argument for the signing was that Damon (health) and Atkins (Contract) probably would not even be a part of the team after this season.

- J-Will, you must admit, walked into a good situation. The aquistion of JWill had some but not a ton to do with the Heat winning the championship. Giving him and Posey as much credit as you do takes too much away from DWade in my opinion.

The Heat were a good team with talent all around. Yes Jwill and Posey helped, but part of the reason I started this thread was to remind everyone what the Grizz still may get out of this trade with the Heat: 11 million dollars under the salary cap!

- Yes we will be losing a SG, and Billups is a PG. But we are hurt the most at the PG position after this season as we can more realistically play Mike Miller as a quality starter at the SG position than anyone at the PG position in the 07-08 season as it stands now.

Thank you HTR, kailer and knickscity for posting something with actual thought behind it. Its good to see some real activity in the Grizz board.

Last edited by J-Memphis : 08-21-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

You probably still gonna need a two guard. Mike miller didn't do so well when he starts. He is best as a sixth man
Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

i wont disagree with that kc
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

Mna eddie would have been great like four years ago its a shame that west only trades for immature or over the hill players.He wont know what to do with all that money.Oh wait I do know he will prbably go out and sign paul shirly,mark madsen,edurado najera,and resign cardinal.GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

lets hope not.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Other Unrestricted free agents availible if Grizz have 11 million to spend:

Gerald Wallace
Desmond Mason
Jamal Magloire
Mo Williams
Morris Peterson
Primoz Brezec

possible unrestricted free agents (depends if they opt out):
Rashard Lewis
Mike Bibby
Vince Carter
Grant Hill
Chauncey Billups

restricted free agents (teams can match offers):
David West
Josh Howard
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
Boris Diaw
Darko Milicic
Kirk Hinrich
Old 08-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Still want you guys to after Vince C, but Josh Howard would look pretty good beside Pau. Don't see Dallas letting that happen though. Kirk Hinrich is a good choice also, especially if the bulls somehow don't improve from last year even with Big Ben
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: