Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 08-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Default Trying to Move On

From the Avid Memphis-New York-Miami talks, I thought I'd try to start a discussion on the starting C spot for the Grizzlies this year.

In my opinion, I see three options.

- First, the Grizz could start Pau at the four and Jake at the five as Jake showed signs of brilliance and played solid when given close to 20 minutes a game. If Jake can match this consistently again this year, the Grizz will have a solid rebounding center to help give Lawerence Roberts, and Alexander Johnson more time to work on their games.

- Second, the Grizz could start Pau at the five, and allow Roberts to earn some immediate playing time (or Johnson as his game progresses). This would put a strong, rebounding and defensive PF to play alongside a quick, and more agressive Gasol at C.

-Third, the Grizz could play Hakim Warrick at the four with Gasol at the C spot again. This is a more athletic line-up but might fit more with the style the team is capable of deveolping with the rookies on board.

Lastly, because I do not believe he will be here for long is starting Stromile either at the C or PF with Pau playing the other. This would be the most talented, but maybe the least productive of the options because of Stro's desire to not play in Memphis and his overall inconsitency.

In my opinion I think it is wiser to let Jake start at the 5 to begin the season as he plyaed extremely well last season. If he doesn't show the same agressiveness then we can look at other options with the younger guys.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

All the options were good. Stro isn't gonna be happy in memphis considering the last year he played there. He is good guy to have on the team, but he probably still feels that the team didn't want him and still don't want him. Bad mix there.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
jailer
MillionDollarException

Trade swift please bum!!!Jake is a joke play pau at five and warrik at four.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

if you think jake is joke, why dont you explain why? he had several monster double-doubles when given enough minutes. do you really think warrick will provide enough at the beginning of the season as opposed to jake? i think warrick will probably be better in the long run this season, but not at first.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
insidehoops
Administrator

Swift doesn't seem to be improving at all during his career
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
jailer
MillionDollarException

Alright.Let me elaborate hmm let me take deep breath to get thoughts strait ahh.Jake has low b ball iq he looks as though he never knows where he needs to be offensively or defensively he is always lost.He has no reaction time when it comes to a person passing around him or driving by him he is always forced to foul.He is slow footed at best and that is being nice also his hands are not very soft.He has no lift,cause he is not in very good shape this leaves him out of reach on blocks he should get.His jumper is more consistent then wrights and swifts which is not saying much.He is a third string 5 at best, yes for a stretch of about 6 games last year he posted a couple of double doubles so what once he puts that together for like 50 games then come tell me he is ready to start.He is a novelty act plain and simple we only got him to bang with bigs in west and cant even do that half of the time.He routinely gets destroyed defensively.He is a big body that when on a full tank of gas might give you a good five minute stretch that leaves you wondering ''why doesnt he do this all the time''.Hakim is young, fresh ,and new full of life.Yes he is not as ''expierenced'' as jake.He makes up for that in athleticism,skill,and agressiveness.Also all reports say he finaly got a jumper.Warrik is not as big as jake ''well dur'' but jake dosent really do much with all that size either.We need to go with youth and just put the team in the hands of our young guns.We are gonna get dominated on inside with or without jake so mine as well have some potential explosiveness in there.The grizz will not make playoffs this year west has already saw to that happening,by not making more moves.So I say let gay,lowry,warrik,roberts,johnson,and pau have fun out there.Next season in 07-08 that will be our year.

Last edited by jailer : 08-23-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

i dont have anything against playing warrick at the 4... thats why i put it as one of the options i saw might work... fact is i have no idea which will work best if any... first couple of weeks in the season will be very interseting to say the least.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

Thats why I like the preseason you get to watch the kids play.That is basicly the only minutes they will get all year.Thanks fratello your a genius
Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

well if the summer reports are correct, we might see a change in coach stubborn's philosophy. i really hope west sticks to his guns about playing warrick, robets, and johnston more this season. and i really hope fratello listens.... or we just might see another new coach before next season.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

they like Fratello. He aint going nowhere. But he do need to play the young guns. But that not his style so you may not see much of them.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
they like Fratello. He aint going nowhere.

Im trying to figure out who "they" is...

I know its not really the fans. They dont like him or hate him. Its mostly indifferent.

I know its not really the players. Most dont hate him, but now that Battier is gone I dont know who really vocally supports Frattello other than maybe Jake because of all the minutes tossed his way last year. But no one can understand Jake when he talks. And Im willing to bet you wont get any of the young guys begging to keep him.

The only person that might fall into this category is West, but through all the interviews with the Appeal this summer you can tell Jerry got annoyed and frustrated quickly with Frattelo's stubborn ways.

Frattello is for sure not coming back after this year because his contract is out and no one is talking about an extension. Thats why I believe its not out of the question to think he might be asked to leave early.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

Been nice if eric musselman had gotten job.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

he was pretty cool, but im not sure he would change up the system too much. right now within the grizz organization ive got my eye on coach anderson. i think he could be a good caoch in a few years or so if given the chance. but as for next year i have no idea who would work because you never know who will be let go or not...

i wonder if rick aldeman would trade places with musselman.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

I think adelman needs break for like year or two befor returning.Not sure what anderson your talking about?I just want a coach who is not afraid to hurt feeling by playing best players.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Mitchell Anderson, 2nd Assitant behind Lional Hollins. He played at Bradley. Hes usually the one interviewed during the games when Musselman didnt do it. Hes got a great offensive mind and relates well to the players.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: