Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
NY Comeback
Banned

NY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default How Many Steps Can You Take before it's A Travel?

Me, and a friend had a debate about this. I told him that it's 3, meaning you can take 3 steps, and one more step(4) is a travel. He told me it was two steps, and then if you take 3, it's a travel. What's the verdict? How many steps can you take before you get off the ground?
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

nicknamefrank has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How Many Steps Can You Take before it's A Travel?

Your friend wins
It's 2 steps, and then you have to jump
3 steps is a travel
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Skyscraper
Local High School Star

Skyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected poster

should be one step. but two step is accepted norm. but some NBA guys do 3 all the time, no call, such BS. if you play pick up game, if breakaway and you do three steps and some ******* calls you on it, punch his crybaby face
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Styl3zT
High school junior varsity star

Styl3zT has an OK reputation so far

its two steps.... Your third step is a travel. Unless your pulling a "pro/superstar" hop.
Styl3zT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Miller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WI0V...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLTtl6sbnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH73R9GIbXg

It all depends who you are and if you mean in a NBA game?
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

it's 2, at all levels of play. 2 steps. /thread.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
NY Comeback
Banned

NY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY Comeback is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wow....Gilbert, and Big Z take three steps all the time.

Oh well, thanks for the info.
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
32jazz
Local High School Star

32jazz has decent reputation32jazz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknamefrank
Your friend wins
It's 2 steps, and then you have to jump
3 steps is a travel

YES 2 STEPS ,but more are allowed in the NBA. I have no problem on a breakaway ,but I simply shake my head when players run,hop, & then skip straight pass a defender to the hoop.

Palming the ball(carrying) is incessant in todays game also. But don't hate the players hate the game. It's allowed. I remember some NBA stars especially Wade having trouble with carrying in the Olympics & baffled when it was called against him.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Depends on the name on the back of your jersey.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo
Depends on the name on the back of your jersey.

BINGO.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Wonder Bread Kid has an OK reputation so far

I have no problem with any ref missing a three step when it's too fast or in an area too crowded for the ref to see. I can't stand travels done that are just clear as day from not only a fans POV on TV but also to the ref.

A lot of stuff the refs just can't see due to whatever, and just because the fan is privileged with replays, the refs aren't and they have to call stuff in real time and get one shot at it. It's damn tough and they get more flake and sh!t than they deserve.
Wonder Bread Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Comeback
Wow....Gilbert, and Big Z take three steps all the time.

Oh well, thanks for the info.
The problem is that if a player catches the ball during a step (where the foot is on the way down but hasn't made contact with the ground), then the refs ignore that and usually let the player take two more, even though this shouldn't happen.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

It's pretty annoying because its such an easy call to make, yet referees just won't call it.

I don't even know why the players do it. Growing up, i know that once the ball touched your hand from the dribble, you have two steps then you jump, shoot, or pass. I find it extremely awkward to take one or three steps from the dribble.

The only way these current players (Lebron/Wade) travel so much is because they probably weren't officiated well and got away with travels all the time.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

NBA Rules:

Quote:
Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

In short, two steps.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
The problem is that if a player catches the ball during a step (where the foot is on the way down but hasn't made contact with the ground), then the refs ignore that and usually let the player take two more, even though this shouldn't happen.

exactly...that is where the discrepancy comes in. In Europe its is simply allowed and encouraged to take that extra half step though.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: