Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default So is Rodney Stuckey a future star and starter?

How good can Stuckey get?

What's he good at and what are his deficiencies?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: So is Rodney Stuckey a future star and starter?

I think he could be a very good point gaurd and a starter. He seems to be agressive driving to the lane. We haven't seen that much of him yet so I guess only time will tell.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

He has the tools to be a top tier point guard in this league. He is able to create shots for him self, penetrate the lane, break down defense thus setting up his teammates and he is getting good at finding his teammates in good spots. He had a beautiful dish to Ratliff yesterday. Props to Stuckey for recognizing that situation. Remember, he is a rookie that missed half the regular season. I saw him in summer league last year and really was impressed with him and was sadden when he got hurt

IF he works out and we can keep him here, we may be ok for the future (and we can put the Darko fiasco behind us…)
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

I think he can be a starter, but he is probably a season or two away from being an effective starter over the course of an entire season.
embersyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
How good can Stuckey get?

What's he good at and what are his deficiencies?

Strengths:
Gets to the line often, great first step is main weapon
Hustles, gets his own rebounds, dives after loose balls
Strong body type similar to Dwyane Wade, a compact 6'5
Midrange Jumpshot, especially at the top of the key
Solid defender, ballhawk

Weaknesses:
Needs to finish better, too many layups rolled off the rim this year
3-point shooting needs to improve
More of a combo-guard than PG, needs to improve assist/turnover ratio
Can look out of control and commit offensive fouls from time to time
Missed 1/2 season with a broken wrist

Potential:
Best Case: A not as highflying Dwyane Wade
Worst Case: Stephon Marbury with a better attitude

He just needs to improve his FG% around the basket and his point guard vision. Everything else is there. He can be the starting PG for Detroit for a long time to come. Remember Chauncey started out in the league as a combo guard. Chauncey seems like a good guy to have around as a rookie and will help him become a better player. I think Aflallo is a good compliment to him and they have worked well so far as a tandem. I praise Joe D's ability to find a probable future allstar with the 13th pick.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-13-2008 at 05:18 PM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, after these past few weeks since Chauncey has been injured, I think we've seen that Stuckey is the future replacement for Chauncey. For a rookie to be able to do what he has in the playoffs is really remarkable. They were running isolation plays just for him the past few games. That is pretty much unheard of for a rookie in the ECF's. He has good size and can create shots not only for himself but for others. He also seems to be able to play defense. I think with Billups injured he should be starting. It's hurting the team to have Billups in there right now and things don't look too good for Detroit against Boston. For them to not step up for the biggest game they've played all year severely disappointed me. It's obvious Chauncey isn't himself. I say let the kid play. It's their best shot.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
shaoyut
National High School Star

shaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected poster

i think he will be like rondo next year
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Can you elaborate a little more? I really don't think he will be anything like Rondo for his career (which is a good thing). I don't really see any similarities in their games at all. Rondo is a small PG at 6'1" and 170, while Stuckey is 6'5" and 205. Stuckey can post up smaller gaurds like Rondo and over power them. Rondo will never have that in his game. In the next few years I expect him to develop his outside shot more too, another thing I don't expect Rondo to ever have. Stuckey is good 1 on 1 so if needed they can run isolation plays with him. I don't believe I've ever seen that out of Rondo.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
NBAFan24445
Can barely lace up my sneakers

NBAFan24445 has an OK reputation so far

Stucky will be a solid player in years to come but probably never an all-star level guard. I like the guy and he plays well, but I don't see greatness there
NBAFan24445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I just don't see any PG's in the east that look more promising. Who do you think will be in the all-star game at PG next season? Billups and maybe Calderon if he stays in Toronto. Kidd used to be there by default. In years to come all I see is Rose and then possibly Stuckey. You can't teach size. You can teach everything else. He's really stepped up in the playoffs as a rookie. I think he's a future all-star for the Pistons.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: