Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 05-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
shirkkan
I airball my layups

shirkkan has an OK reputation so far
Default butler+baron->carmelo+martin

My league is a points league(one assist is the same than a block, for example).

Would you make this trade:

butler + Baron davis ===> carmelo anthony + kevin martin

I have caron butler and baron davis in my roster, and I talked with one person in my league to make that trade in the offseason.
I know that maybe he will not accept, but I wanted to know if you think this is a good trade for me, or why you would not make the trade.

My roster is:

CF - Carlos Boozer (UTA)
CF - Zach Randolph (NYK)
F - Caron Butler (WAS)
G - Baron Davis (GSW)
G - Brandon Roy (POR)
FG - Josh Howard (DAL)
G - Jose Calderon (TOR)
GF - Mike Miller (MEM)
F - Ryan Gomes (MIN)
CF - Joakim Noah (CHI)
FC - Nenad Krstic (NJN)
C - Greg Oden (POR)

CF - Jeff Foster (IND)
CF - Paul Millsap (UTA)
F - Danny Granger (IND)
F - Rashard Lewis (ORL)
G - Mo Williams (MIL)
G - Randy Foye (MIN)
GF - Richard Hamilton (DET)
shirkkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation
Default Re: butler+baron->carmelo+martin

Nah I wouldn't just yet... You gotta see what Washington does with Jamison and Arenas.

Plus you're already loaded with SG's and SF's.

You got Howard, Rip, Granger, Shard, Miller... etc.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
shirkkan
I airball my layups

How do you think Kevin Martin will do next season?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirkkan
How do you think Kevin Martin will do next season?
I think Kevin Martin will still be a legit option for points and 3's.

I'm expecting anywhere from 22-25 pts from him next year. It also has a bit to do with what Ron Artest does, though I thought he said he wanted to stay. Nonetheless, there isn't many scorers in the lineup, just Salmons and Garcia off the bench.

But, you also need to consider Baron Davis's injury history. He's very injury prone.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
shirkkan
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
But, you also need to consider Baron Davis's injury history. He's very injury prone.

This is one reason why I want Martin , although Baron has not missed a game this year.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Phenith has decent reputationPhenith has decent reputation

Quote:
butler + Baron davis ===> carmelo anthony + kevin martin

Ok, if we break down all the players involved...
Baron Davis is the best player in the deal, he put in 82 games for the first time in 6 years last year because he got a new trainer and training regiment(don't even think he had one full time before last year)... even his FT% has become respectable. He has become the player that many knew he could be... don't sleep on him because of injuries, he is making a concious effort to put them behind him, where as he just didn't care before the last couple of years.

Caron Butler is the 2nd best player in the deal which leans the deal big time against you. He is a do it all guy who has become a triple double threat. His development has been consistant and still has some room to grow, reaching his peak next season probably. Butler is a bigger injury risk IMO than Davis at this point. He plays tough ball, but is fragile, he breaks bones and gets strains/sprains too easily(like Gerald Wallace), but when healthy is a top notch fantasy guy. He will be a fantasy stud with or without Areans/Jamison, although without he will be less of an assist guy, taking away his triple double threat.

Melo is still looking for his game, AI has retarded his development and unless Denver moves AI this off season I wouldn't expect much more from Melo than what he gave you this season. Don't get me wrong, he is a solid option and can almost carry your scoring category, but he needs to be let loose and with AI there it isn't going to happen.

Martin has been given the reigns in Sactown, he is the primary option there, but his fantasy game is more like Michael Redd than anything... he is a scorer and will throw in some other stats here and there. He is a high percentage guy across the board so he is an effective 5 category guy which makes him valuable, but you get what you get with him and shouldn't expect much more(again, ala Redd).

All in all, I would say this is a HORRIBLE trade for you and you should definatly not do it. You gain almost nothing by doing this deal(maybe some shooting percentages). Even if AI gets traded, that still only bring Melo on par with Butler and you are basically giving up a great PG for scorer who would be a 2nd option or "just another guy" on a team first oreinted team like the Pistons or Spurs(note, Sactown and the Bucks are bad teams with arguably decent supporting casts and have these score only kind of guys as their "stars").

That's my 2 cents.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
shirkkan
I airball my layups

Ok, so if I have understood your opinion, I must wait one year until I try to make the trade.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Phenith has decent reputationPhenith has decent reputation

Quote:
Ok, so if I have understood your opinion, I must wait one year until I try to make the trade.
Or more yeah, Melo is still developing, but is being stunted by AI, Martin, you get what you see... meanwhile, both Davis and Butler are in or going into their prime and the next couple of season will be the best of their careers, and considering how good of players they are, you shouldn't be looking outside of the top 10 fantasy guys when looking to trade them, especially together. Think Paul, Marion, Kobe, LBJ, DWade territory, I mean, all those guys have their own flaws, you should be looking to trade up, not down.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
I also heard somewhere B-Diddy wasn't sure if he wanted to stay or leave GSW.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
shirkkan
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
I also heard somewhere B-Diddy wasn't sure if he wanted to stay or leave GSW.

I will wait and I'll see what happens with Baron and Arenas (this would repercute in Butler's numbers).
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I might make this deal. What people are missing about Baron is that this is a walk year for him so it's no coincident he put together a great season and a healthy season. I hate players coming off free agency. He also might leave GS and/or Don Nelson might not be his coach, which will hurt his numbers. Caron is simply an injury risk. He might also be playing for a terrible team soon if Gil and Jamison bolt. Or, if they both stay, his numbers will regress with Arenas back in action.

Kmart will have a better season I think and Artest might not be in town. Matin is the primary option and is young and improving. Melo I think is very UNDERrated in fantasy. Look at his numbers. His bds were up to 8ish, his dimes are very nice for a scoring SF. His %'s are great, his steals were up above 1 and even chipped in ok blks. Add 25+ pts and you have a very solid player. I think if you removed TOs, Melo was close to top 20 in fantasy, which people are surprised to hear.

It is a risk, but if you wait, and Baron leaves GS and Gil and Jamison re-sign with the Wizards, the GM you're playing with may not be as into that deal. I might actually ask for more, add a 3rd player each, that helps you in positions or in stats you are after just based on the name value you're giving up. Don't try and hit a homerun in the 3rd part, but a nice upgrade.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
shirkkan
I airball my layups

What do you think about this trade now?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
What do you think about this trade now?

No new information for me that would change anything. Nellie is back in GS which helps, but still no word on where Davis will be playing.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: