Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #46
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who do we want in RETURN???

From the Toronto area and Raptor fan here.

Saw some discussion about trade ideas between Raps and Blazers.

I was thinking Portland would be a great trade opportunity. I had similiar ideas.

Travis Outlaw or Martell Webster would be near the top of my list for what the Raptors are seeking. I don't think the Blazers can keep both these guys long. Brandon Roy is really a SG and Martell Webster probably more a SG than SF. Outlaw is a SF which Portland would more likely want to keep than Webster. Portland needs a better PG. You have top notch talent starting at SG, SF, PF and C. Great potential the next 8-10 years.

Outlaw should start at SF. Webster also has the talent to be a starter which he has been as I have seen in the stats.

I don't think Webster solves the lack of a good slashing and defensive SF for the Raptors but Anthony Parker (starting SG with Raptors) does not have many years left as a quality NBA player. The only thing with Webster is that he does not get to the line as much as I would hope. He is more an outside threat and takes a lot of 3s hitting at a good % though. Maybe on a different team he would change his role a bit and drive more. He is still young and can develop his game.

So my trade idea was Parker and Ford in a package to Portland for Webster and Jack. Other parts involved as well of course. Toronto may have to take an expiring contract. Parker gives the Blazers a veteren who can back up Roy. Ford gives them a solid starting PG. In addition maybe include Rasho Nesterovic who expires next year for Pryzbilla.

I'd prefer Outlaw at the SF more than Webster at the SG but I don't think Portland would trade Outlaw.

I think Calderon may get more than Ford but I thin kthe Raptors would rather keep Calderon.

Having said all of this, how is Webster's game? Is he a decent defender? Does he have the ability to slash and drive?
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
From the Toronto area and Raptor fan here.

Saw some discussion about trade ideas between Raps and Blazers.

I was thinking Portland would be a great trade opportunity. I had similiar ideas.

Travis Outlaw or Martell Webster would be near the top of my list for what the Raptors are seeking. I don't think the Blazers can keep both these guys long. Brandon Roy is really a SG and Martell Webster probably more a SG than SF. Outlaw is a SF which Portland would more likely want to keep than Webster. Portland needs a better PG. You have top notch talent starting at SG, SF, PF and C. Great potential the next 8-10 years.

Outlaw should start at SF. Webster also has the talent to be a starter which he has been as I have seen in the stats.

I don't think Webster solves the lack of a good slashing and defensive SF for the Raptors but Anthony Parker (starting SG with Raptors) does not have many years left as a quality NBA player. The only thing with Webster is that he does not get to the line as much as I would hope. He is more an outside threat and takes a lot of 3s hitting at a good % though. Maybe on a different team he would change his role a bit and drive more. He is still young and can develop his game.

So my trade idea was Parker and Ford in a package to Portland for Webster and Jack. Other parts involved as well of course. Toronto may have to take an expiring contract. Parker gives the Blazers a veteren who can back up Roy. Ford gives them a solid starting PG. In addition maybe include Rasho Nesterovic who expires next year for Pryzbilla.

I'd prefer Outlaw at the SF more than Webster at the SG but I don't think Portland would trade Outlaw.

I think Calderon may get more than Ford but I thin kthe Raptors would rather keep Calderon.

Having said all of this, how is Webster's game? Is he a decent defender? Does he have the ability to slash and drive?

Portland might trade Outlaw in the right package, but that package would have to include Calderon.

We also have something like $33 million in contracts (that we won't be resigning) expiring at the end of next season, so it doesn't make sense for us to trade for expirers.

Przybilla will likely stick around, because he will be an excellent bench player next to Oden. It would depend on whether or not we got Joel Freeland over right away from England, and whether or not he ended up working out.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #48
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thats a decent trade proposal huppcap. Though, I'm not thrilled with Parker. Parker would be the oldest guy on our team and we already will have our backup SG in Rudy Fernandez and he is demanding to have pretty good minutes. So it ends up being more TJ Ford for Webster/Jack. All adding Parker will do is make somebody unhappy with their minutes (either Parker himself or Rudy) and that isn't something we want.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #49
rap08
Can barely lace up my sneakers

rap08 has an OK reputation so far

How about Frye for Ford? Raps can use another big man up front who can play the 4 and 5. They are both quite talented both prospects who could satisfy the needs of both teams.
rap08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #50
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap08
How about Frye for Ford? Raps can use another big man up front who can play the 4 and 5. They are both quite talented both prospects who could satisfy the needs of both teams.

Ford's contract is quite a bit bigger. $8.3M vs $2.5M. Value wise it is close (though good PGs are harder to come by so they may ask for more in return), but about $6M more would need to be transfered to Toronto.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #51
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

I'm with Myth - I'd rather get Calderon - Ford's injuries concern me and I'm not a big fan of "under six foot" point guards.....which is kind of ironic considering I used to be HUGE (no pun intended) on us getting Nate Robinson, but I'd prefer a taller point.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #52
rap08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Ford's contract is quite a bit bigger. $8.3M vs $2.5M. Value wise it is close (though good PGs are harder to come by so they may ask for more in return), but about $6M more would need to be transfered to Toronto.

Hey myth,

What if it were the main parts of like a multi-player deal. Would it work, then?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #53
Myth

Quote:
Hey myth,

What if it were the main parts of like a multi-player deal. Would it work, then?

Sure, there's a way to get it to work, but its going to take a lot of creativity. With the current set up, the Blazers would need to put in $6 million. The only way to get the salaries to match would require the Blazers giving up more than they would for just Ford. So then the Blazers would need to get some other quality guy in return from the Raptors or some other team, and then give up more.

(an incomplete example)
Blazers could give up LaFrentz with Frye ($12.5M + $2.5M = $15M)
With Ford coming in ($8.5M) Blazers would need to receive about $6.5M in contracts from somewhere, whether it is Toronto or another team.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #54
Myth

Actually, LaFrentz+Frye for Nesterovic+Ford could work. Though I'm not so sure how pleased Nesterovic would be about becoming a 3rd string C.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #55
rap08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Actually, LaFrentz+Frye for Nesterovic+Ford could work. Though I'm not so sure how pleased Nesterovic would be about becoming a 3rd string C.
We would want Travis Outlaw included not Lafrentz in order to fill our small forward need. Who else on the Raptors would Portland be interested in?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
Myth

Quote:
We would want Travis Outlaw included not Lafrentz in order to fill our small forward need. Who else on the Raptors would Portland be interested in?

The draw for LaFrentz isn't his talent, its his contract. He has $13M coming off the books next season. That is a HUGE commodity for teams. I would much rather have LaFrentz's contract coming off the books than Nestrovic's. So pretty much it keeps the dynamics of trading Frye for TJ Ford, and then you get a better contract in LaFrentz. Then you would have tons of money to buy a SF in free agency next year.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #57
rap08

The Raptors would likely prefer not to take on his contract.First of all, it would require taking on another big contract when we are trying to re-sign Calderone. Also, the Raptors would rather have Outlaw now than to have cap room to possibly acquire one later.The only way Nesterovic would be considered part of a deal is if Pryzbilla was included. Even then, I am not sure the Raptors would deal him because he is coming off a great season and is providing veteran leadership.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #58
rap08

The Raptors woud prefer not to take on Lafrentz's contact. It would make it harder to re-sign Calderone. Plus, the Raptors would rather acquire a player like Outlaw right away.Nesterovic is likely not on the trading block for three reasons. The first is that he gives the Raptors cap room along with Garbajosa's salary to do some spending in free agency next year.Second, he has had tremendous season for the Raptors. Third, he provides veteran leadership for the Raptors. Would there be somebody else that you would want included in the deal?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #59
Myth

Quote:
The Raptors woud prefer not to take on Lafrentz's contact. It would make it harder to re-sign Calderone. Plus, the Raptors would rather acquire a player like Outlaw right away.Nesterovic is likely not on the trading block for three reasons. The first is that he gives the Raptors cap room along with Garbajosa's salary to do some spending in free agency next year.Second, he has had tremendous season for the Raptors. Third, he provides veteran leadership for the Raptors. Would there be somebody else that you would want included in the deal?

My point was the LaFrentz gives you MORE cap room. Taking on LaFrentz's contract is better for teams right now. I don't see how it would make it harder to re-sign Calderon. Trading for him wouldn't change this year's salaries because in order to trade, the salaries of the upcoming year have to be nearly even. LaFrentz is also a quality player and I would rank him right up there with Nesterovic. Nesterovic has slightly better offense, while LaFrentz has slightly better defense. Personally, if TJ and Frye were out of the question, I would much rather have Raef with his contract than Nesterovic with his. But, if you don't want him, ok.

As for players on the Raptors that we'd want, Jose is by far the guy I want most from the team. The ONLY way we give up Outlaw to the Raptors is if Jose Calderon is involved. There are guys that we would take in a trade just to make the trade work, but Jose and TJ are the only guys we are legitimately interested, with Jose being our #1 choice.

Edit: I just double checked the contracts and the trade I proposed would even give the Raptors about $1M more for this offseason, making it EASIER to resign Jose. So you get rid of TJ to give Jose more incentive to want to stay while giving the Raptors more cap room this off season and next off season.

Last edited by Myth : 05-27-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #60
rap08

I am not sure why the Raps would pay $12m for payer whose stats are :
PPG
RPG
APG
in 39 games.

Having another player who makes big money is not worth it. The Raptors would only give up one, not both because they need their own starter.They will keep Calderon because he meshe better with Bosh. Ford is perceived as better by many because he can really burn teams with his quickness, something that Calderon could not do as well. Those contrasting styles allowed them to be one of the best combinations of PG's in the league.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: