Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
the truth
...since 95

Default Re: Chuck Swirsky leaving Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
I'll miss Chuck..too bad it couldn't be Leo. Paul Jones and Jack "Hello!" Armstrong would be a good team.

Paul Jones?

Booorrrrriiiing. That guy has the personality of a wet rag.

At first I wasnt much of a Chuck fan but I grew to enjoy his entertaining play by play calling with his many signature phrases, some better than others. But lets be fair, it was Leo that ruined the salami and cheese phrase. He just couldnt shut up about it. He's the one that I wanted gone.

One other thing, I really respected Chuck for his impartiality. He would react to a great play regardless of the team. Be thankful we werent stuck with some glorified fan's homerism a la the Celtics broadcasters.

I'll miss you Chuck, you're a real class act, good luck in Chi town and hope all is well with the family.

Whoever gets the call, I just hope they team him with Jack.
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Wow. shjocking news. After he got his Canadian citizenship, put down roots, I thought he was a Toronto lifer. The new Bball version of Cheeks & Howarth.

Very entertaining. What the raps needed.

(Paul jones is horrible - get his bro instead)

Quote:
One other thing, I really respected Chuck for his impartiality. He would react to a great play regardless of the team. Be thankful we werent stuck with some glorified fan's homerism a la the Celtics broadcasters.
Well said, the truth.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #18
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

This is insanely shocking. Chuck loves Toronto and the Raps, I hope we get more info about his reasons.

I hope they bring someone new in to be the play by play man, I can't really see anyone else around now doing it.

Although I think PJ could pull it off.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
plat1numX
!dennaB

i want someone new to join, i personally hate all current "tv personalities" the raps have right now....one can only wish
plat1numX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #20
Tool
Ball til I fall

Chuck doing whats right for the family, well I guess thats the only excuse that could get you out of a four year contract. Hes leaving the money on the table folks. I still can't believe hes packing up the cold cuts, but obviously something happened or else they wouldn't have come to the conclusion to move back to Chi-town. Cause lets face it people WE all know TORONTO is the better city of the two.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #21
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

Sucks that he's leaving... I agree Chuck doesn't know wtf he's talking about sometimes but there's no denying that he had A LOT of passion for the Raptors.. When Leo or Jack speak, they just don't seem as into it as Chuck was.. Hope they find someone that's as entertaining as Chuck.. I can't stand play by plays with mono toned voices..
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #22
bokes15
Playoffs!

Yes, as someons said on the previous page, PJ is about as entertaining as a brick wall. Chuck may have had his flaws but one thing that nobody could deny was his passion about the game of basketball and I hope we can get someone who is at least close to that level.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball...489571-cp.html
Quote:
He announced the move on his afternoon show on a Toronto all-sports radio station.

"There's lots of good play-by-play guys out there, but only one Chuck Swirsky," Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd, which owns the Raptors, said in a statement. "He is a big loss to our organization. His passion for basketball and passion for our fans makes him one of the game's great ambassadors.

"He's leaving for the right reasons, and that's to place the needs of his family at the top of his priority list. He leaves with our support, our deepest appreciation and best wishes for the future."

Swirsky has handled play-by-play duties on Raptors TV broadcasts for the last seven years after working radio broadcasts for three seasons prior. He signed a four-year contract extension in 2007 and gained Canadian citizenship this past winter.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Terrible news, I really liked Chuck. He was very sincere and passionate about the Raps, Toronto and Canada. A pretty decent play by play guy too.

I remember a few times emailing him thinking I might hear back from him in a week or two if at all. To my surprise, I recieved a reply back within Mins sometimes.

He'll be missed.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #25
DaveM123
I brick open layups

Sad news, all the best to Chuck and his family. His love for the game and the way he joked or teased with Leo and Jack throughout the game really made it enjoyable. Class act all the way. Won't be the same.
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
RapsFan
Great college starter

Not to ruin the cry fest...but I am not too upset about this. Obviously wish him the best, but I could barely stand to listen to his ridiculous comments. A guy hits a 3 and he yells out salami and cheese....that is boarderline retarded. But, he had energy and hope Chicago fans get ready for a steady dose of 'Luol "deng" it again'.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #27
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Not to ruin the cry fest...but I am not too upset about this. Obviously wish him the best, but I could barely stand to listen to his ridiculous comments. A guy hits a 3 and he yells out salami and cheese....that is boarderline retarded. But, he had energy and hope Chicago fans get ready for a steady dose of 'Luol "deng" it again'.

He did not yell out salami and cheese when a 3-pointer was hit unless it just happen to be at a point in the game where that basket put the game out of reach for the other team. Obviously you did not listen. Do you even know the story of the salami & cheese? It's not so retarded.

Last edited by huppcap : 05-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #28
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
Chuck doing whats right for the family, well I guess thats the only excuse that could get you out of a four year contract. Hes leaving the money on the table folks. I still can't believe hes packing up the cold cuts, but obviously something happened or else they wouldn't have come to the conclusion to move back to Chi-town. Cause lets face it people WE all know TORONTO is the better city of the two.

My guess is his wife who I assume is from Chicago wants to go back to be around family/relatives and perhaps she gave him an ultimatum.

Too bad. His passion for Toronto, the Raptors and Canada will truly be missed. He is one of a kind. It is big a loss.

It will be interesting to see who they replace him with. My guess it will be difficult. Paul Jones I don't think has enough personality to do TV play by play.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
He did not yell out salami and cheese when a 3-pointer was hit unless it just happen to be at a point in the game where that basket put the game out of reach for the other team. Obviously you did not listen. Do you even know the story of the salami & cheese? It's not so retarded.

That was just one example of things he blurted out that personally annoyed me. Not sure what I didn't listen to? It's all good man...you liked him, I didn't.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #30
bonez26
Local High School Star

He poured his heart out to this city and will always be one of the Raps greats. He'll be sorely missed. Good luck in all your futur endeavours Chuck & fam!
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: