Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #151
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voulnet
I made a mistake in seeing your argument as an 'interesting' one... Media appreciation? Kobe had to play 12 excellent seasons, win championships, rise from bottom to top, score thousands of points, trust and integrate every freaking teammate, have unreal stats and get the first seed on the most competitive conference... JUST to get one MVP!.

All he had to do was be the best player on the best team - just like everyone else. And this year, he was really the best player on an elite team (Boston +9) and got the MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voulnet
While Dirk and Nash have three between them, and the media had absolutely no problem giving the award to Paul and James although Kobe had superior seasons. For Kobe to win half the media love James and Paul are getting, he has to work 10x for it.

Nash's first was deserved. the 2nd one is still an absolute mystery, Dirk's was deserved. Kobe's season was not better than James or Pauls, but he got the award - so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voulnet
Kobe did get media attention, but not love. Or at least got the media love for 10x the price. He got a lot of media attention the past years, but most of it just negative and hateful media time.
So no, the media did not appreciate Kobe, and still used him as news and controversy material

They use each other. And he does pay a price for his media attention - he sells his soul to them, which is why they appreciate him. No one else would do that. no oneelse would do a half-time special about their families not likingtheir wife. no one else would go on radio shows calling out their team. Those are gut wrenching, vomit inducing things to do.

Its a huge price he pays for it. so he got what he deserved for that sacrifice he made for them, their votes.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #152
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28,366
gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
Show me where I said the medias voted for Kobe solely because he pleases them. Their votes were swayed to him this year because he pleases them - and obviously he put up great numbers on an elite team. They don't just vote for the biggest headline guy because they want to.

That's stupid.
lol, it's your theory not mine
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #153
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
lol, it's your theory not mine

but that's not my theory, that's people not undersanding my theory and arguing against their own poor reading skills.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #154
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions
 
Laker4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wherever you aren't
Posts: 2,866
Laker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
Taking the last part first -- this was a close MVP race. If you check the board and the postings about MVP, and the writings of those that professionally write about the sport, you'll see it was a close race.

Yet, somehow, Kobe won by 50+ votes in a blowout. I am not belittling it, he deserved it -- not more than others, but its certainly deserved - but trying to understand how a race that was by all accounts so tight, became a blowout requires an explanation. This is mine.

If there is another explanation other than "Kobe is sooooooo great", I'd love to hear it. Because Kobe was no greater when the votes were cast then when we were discussing how it was a close race -- so why the sudden blowout.



Kobe gave live interviews on every sports radio station in an all-day marathon. You couldn't turn on any radio and not hear Kobe. My wife - who knows nothing about basketball and cares even less - knew about it.

There is a big difference between that and Shaq talking to beat writers. The difference is notthe b!tching, itself, plenty b!tch, its the # of media people it serves. Kobe served more - more outlets, bigger scope, more people to sell their newspapers; talk shows becaue tHEY got the big scoop - that wasb eing provided all day long.



Kobe cheated on his wife and called a press conference to discuss it. That's the difference.

Kobe aims to please the media - and that's why the close race became a route.

Now you are really starting to make yourself look foolish. Kobe was charged with a FELONY and called a press conference, THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

And because some people on a message board thought the MVP race was close that means that it was?? I enjoy ISH and all but that doesn't mean that everything said here is fact.

OBVIOUSLY it wasn't as close a race as you and many others believed. Is it TRULY that hard for you to understand that?

Like I said, just stop now because you're just making yourself look worse with every post.
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #155
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
Kobe won the MVP because of his on-court play, and nothing else.

That isn't true. As if anyone could ever separate out on-court play with their off-court feelings. We all have biases, reporters too. They are incapable of makign a deicision based solely on on-court play. They don't have enough time to watch enough games to make a vote solely on that basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
The voting was close, Kobe and Paul nearly got all 1st and 2nd place votes.

The voting was close? - I thought this thread was called "Voting wasn't even close". If I'm wrong, please direct me to the voting wasn't close thread and leave Brunch here in the voting was close thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
To me it's 'sore losing' that you (as a known Kobe h@ter) point to media appeal as the reason.

I am a known Kobe h@ter, so nothing I say can be right or on point...my bias and my bias alone are enough to defeat my arguments. Becasue I am the only one with abias -- unlike the brilliant unbiased reporters who are able to vote on on-court play alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
Kobe ultimately won because his team finished #1 in the west

That's true....but the overwhelming vote is odd.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #156
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
Now you are really starting to make yourself look foolish. Kobe was charged with a FELONY and called a press conference, THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE..

B!tch assaults the media with his nonsense every other year in a way no other player does. You disagree. ok - you see it differentlythan I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
And because some people on a message board thought the MVP race was close that means that it was?? I enjoy ISH and all but that doesn't mean that everything said here is fact.

Clearly, but it seemed to be what the reporters I was reading were saying as well. I read close race quite a bit...not just ISH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
OBVIOUSLY it wasn't as close a race as you and many others believed. Is it TRULY that hard for you to understand that?

Clealr,y the media overwhelmingly voted for Kobe. me and everyone I read was wrong. I wasnt close. I understand that just fine. I just don't understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
Like I said, just stop now because you're just making yourself look worse with every post.

Please 2200 sh!tty post won't look any worse after 2201.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #157
Brunch@Five
College superstar
 
Brunch@Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,591
Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
That's true....but the overwhelming vote is odd.

I don't really think it's odd. Most of the media said after the ASG or so that they'd vote for whoever has the best record in the West. Kobe's team had the better record, so nearly all voter that adapted to that criteria voted for him 1st and Paul 2nd. I mean, most of the media accepted Kobe's and Paul's play just as valuable, so the only criteria left was team record. The way the vote turned out is only consequent to me.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #158
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions
 
Laker4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wherever you aren't
Posts: 2,866
Laker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks


Clealr,y the media overwhelmingly voted for Kobe. me and everyone I read was wrong. I wasnt close. I understand that just fine. I just don't understand why.



Please 2200 sh!tty post won't look any worse after 2201.

And that's why they have the job that they have and you don't. I'm sure there are lots of things that you don't understand, maybe you don't know as much about the sport of basketball as you think.

Well the convo has been interesting....

Have a good one.
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #159
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
I don't really think it's odd. Most of the media said after the ASG or so that they'd vote for whoever has the best record in the West. Kobe's team had the better record, so nearly all voter that adapted to that criteria voted for him 1st and Paul 2nd. I mean, most of the media accepted Kobe's and Paul's play just as valuable, so the only criteria left was team record. The way the vote turned out is only consequent to me.

I like that reasoning alot -- even thoguh I disagree with the premise that whether a team finishes 3rd or 4th in the league by the difference of a game should determine the MVP --

however, though I don't read most outlets, most voting members I read did not tie themselves down to that.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #160
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28,366
gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
Show me where I said the medias voted for Kobe solely because he pleases them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
All I'm saying is that the media really likes Kobe because he really goes out of his way for them. When most celebs get arrested they hide behind lawyers, he gives press conferences. When most players have gripes with thier teams they imply something to the beat reporter, or they keep it in-house, Kobe goes on every radio show in america.

Behavior like that endears him to voting media members. Doesn't it? Who'd you rather vote for, player A, who gave you an explosive interview or Player B, who merely discussed the game with you and barely gave a quote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
He won by 54 votes because he puts out for the media - so they put out for him.

No other NBA'er has as many ratings worthy tantrums for them to write about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
They use each other. And he does pay a price for his media attention - he sells his soul to them, which is why they appreciate him. No one else would do that. no oneelse would do a half-time special about their families not likingtheir wife. no one else would go on radio shows calling out their team. Those are gut wrenching, vomit inducing things to do.

Its a huge price he pays for it. so he got what he deserved for that sacrifice he made for them, their votes.

the fact is you are trying to down play Kobe's award by making excuses as to why he would win it by other than basketball related reasons...

instead of debating why his season was not worthy of the award you have decided to take a childish approach and create a scenario that implies he is not a valid winner based on some STUPID THOERY that involves press conferences and headlines and extra love from the press...

your trying to wrap it up in the guise of plausible debate and discuss it as if you actually had a valid point is even more distressing because you assume you actually have made a valid point..

some info here for you you have not made a valid point, you have only exposed yourself as a fool
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #161
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
And that's why they have the job that they have and you don't. I'm sure there are lots of things that you don't understand, maybe you don't know as much about the sport of basketball as you think.

The reporters I read called it a close race, which is why I thought it would be a close race. In my head it was no-contest KG. Not no contest he will win - but no contes he deserved it.

If they would've reported, Kobe in a blowout I would've though, "Well KG deserves it, but apparently its kobe in a blowout". But they reported it as a close race. They were incorrect. So why do they have the job?
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #162
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
the fact is you are trying to down play Kobe's award by making excuses as to why he would win it by other than basketball related reasons...l

Every MVP award has been related in some way to some non-basketball related reasons. I know that based on my undertsanding of the human condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
instead of debating why his season was not worthy of the award you have decided to take a childish approach and create a scenario that implies he is not a valid winner based on some STUPID THOERY that involves press conferences and headlines and extra love from the press...

I've already attackedhis qualifications for the award, though really more specifically lauded other players. Its in another thread. Why go through the execise again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
your trying to wrap it up in the guise of plausible debate and discuss it as if you actually had a valid point is even more distressing because you assume you actually have made a valid point..

I think I have a valid point because its my point. Everyone who has a point thinks its a valid one. What should I say "I think this, but its probably wrong"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
some info here for you you have not made a valid point, you have only exposed yourself as a fool.

So now we all know.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #163
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions
 
Laker4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wherever you aren't
Posts: 2,866
Laker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
The reporters I read called it a close race, which is why I thought it would be a close race. In my head it was no-contest KG. Not no contest he will win - but no contes he deserved it.

If they would've reported, Kobe in a blowout I would've though, "Well KG deserves it, but apparently its kobe in a blowout". But they reported it as a close race. They were incorrect. So why do they have the job?




Are these the same reporters that voted overwhelmingly for Bryant? Maybe they where just playing with your mind, they KNEW that you wouldn't understand and wanted to give you something to ponder in your free time.
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #164
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
Are these the same reporters that voted overwhelmingly for Bryant? Maybe they where just playing with your mind, they KNEW that you wouldn't understand and wanted to give you something to ponder in your free time.

I don't know -- there are alot more voting reporters than I have the time or interest to read.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #165
GreatLakes
Serious playground baller
 
GreatLakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 345
GreatLakes has decent reputation
Default Re: Kobe officially wins MVP. Voting wasn't even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
I don't know -- there are alot more voting reporters than I have the time or interest to read.

I have been on this board for many years now and have yet to see a valid point from this guy. It would be best for all of you to ignore this guy's drivel.

This guy is just like his namesake: all heart, but no game!
GreatLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy